Any suggestions for a "dog seat" for the backseat? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

Any suggestions for a "dog seat" for the backseat?

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suggestions for a "dog seat" for the backseat?

Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Collin Chapin
User

Default Any suggestions for a "dog seat" for the backseat?

I'm looking at a 997.1 or 997.2 and the one thing I haven't figured out is where to put my 50ish lb dog for travel.

I have a 2-3 hour drive once a month or so where I need to be able to have the dog in the car... and due to the odd divider between the seats i'm not sure how she will be able to sit comfortably.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have searched for "Porsche 911 dog seats" etc and everything I find seems generic for any car.

I currently use the "hammock" style seat cover in my current 4 door car which works great, but i'm not sure how well that will work in the 911.

Thanks in advance!

edit: it's worth noting that my girlfriend will be in the front seat so that is not an option :P
Old 05-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Sniff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Heck, I always say, "Why make it complicated?" I would just fold up a bunch of old blankets (go to Goodwill or Salvation Army if you don't have any) and stack them up on each of the rear seat bases so they are even with the hump in the middle. You could then fold a couple lengthwise and put them on top across the entire width of the back seat area to make it more even. Additionally, if you need to make more room, the rear seat backs are simple to remove.

This should be more than adequate. After all, we're talking about a dog here. (No I'm not a dog hater, so don't anyone even start throwing spears).

Sean
Old 05-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Collin Chapin
User

Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
Heck, I always say, "Why make it complicated?" I would just fold up a bunch of old blankets (go to Goodwill or Salvation Army if you don't have any) and stack them up on each of the rear seat bases so they are even with the hump in the middle. You could then fold a couple lengthwise and put them on top across the entire width of the back seat area to make it more even. Additionally, if you need to make more room, the rear seat backs are simple to remove.

This should be more than adequate. After all, we're talking about a dog here. (No I'm not a dog hater, so don't anyone even start throwing spears).

Sean
That's definitely a solution, I was really wondering if there's anything specific for a 911 as a way to get around this.

If it were just once and a while I could see myself doing what you described but this drive is very regular for me and i'd rather just have a "one and done" fix for it.

As far as removing the back seats are concerned... that may be a good idea.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:21 PM
kcheves
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh no, I can see where this is headed....
Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 PM
Captsteve123
User

Does your girlfriend like the dog? If not, get rid of her and put the dog in the front seat!

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 05-21-2014, 09:01 PM
TommyV44
Super User

A dog in the 911
Old 05-21-2014, 09:16 PM
zer026T
User

I'm with you Tommy

But a Google search brings up some interesting concepts..

Old 05-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Sniff
Addict
Rennlist Member

The dog in your first picture looks like he will mess you up!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:12 PM
BIG smoke
Super User

I used to have a dog. No current pets in the house.
If your dog is a puppy, teach it to wear a seat belt. There are special dog harnesses that attach to the seat belt. Before anyone "why would you secure your dog?". An unsecured 50-100 pound projectile inside the cabin? Leave your dog at home then. I'm all for taking a dog in my car, I would never put my kid in the back seat unsecured? Would you put your dog in the back of a pick up bed? Safety of your kid? safety of you pet? safety of the other occupants in the vehicle. If your thinking of putting your dog in the car, consider safety too, as well as comfort of your pet.
They are called accidents, not onpurposes.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:40 PM
dalancroft
User

Originally Posted by TommyV44 View Post
A dog in the 911
^ What he said
Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Smitten
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pictures of the girlfriend would help. ;-)
Old 05-22-2014, 09:48 PM
calgary7er
User

My Irish Terrier loves it in the back seat. All I do is remove the bottom cushion (Velcro'd in and easy to remove) and he just curls up....

Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 PM
shammerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by calgary7er View Post
My Irish Terrier loves it in the back seat. All I do is remove the bottom cushion (Velcro'd in and easy to remove) and he just curls up....

AWESOME !!!

Just not sure how my Great Dane would fit in...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any suggestions for a "dog seat" for the backseat?

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: