Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any suggestions for a "dog seat" for the backseat?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any suggestions for a "dog seat" for the backseat?

I'm looking at a 997.1 or 997.2 and the one thing I haven't figured out is where to put my 50ish lb dog for travel.

I have a 2-3 hour drive once a month or so where I need to be able to have the dog in the car... and due to the odd divider between the seats i'm not sure how she will be able to sit comfortably.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have searched for "Porsche 911 dog seats" etc and everything I find seems generic for any car.

I currently use the "hammock" style seat cover in my current 4 door car which works great, but i'm not sure how well that will work in the 911.

Thanks in advance!

edit: it's worth noting that my girlfriend will be in the front seat so that is not an option :P
Old 05-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Heck, I always say, "Why make it complicated?" I would just fold up a bunch of old blankets (go to Goodwill or Salvation Army if you don't have any) and stack them up on each of the rear seat bases so they are even with the hump in the middle. You could then fold a couple lengthwise and put them on top across the entire width of the back seat area to make it more even. Additionally, if you need to make more room, the rear seat backs are simple to remove.

This should be more than adequate. After all, we're talking about a dog here. (No I'm not a dog hater, so don't anyone even start throwing spears).

Sean
The following 3 users liked this post by Sniff:
991DDS (06-27-2021), bbinder (03-07-2021), linderpat (03-07-2021)
Old 05-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sniff
Heck, I always say, "Why make it complicated?" I would just fold up a bunch of old blankets (go to Goodwill or Salvation Army if you don't have any) and stack them up on each of the rear seat bases so they are even with the hump in the middle. You could then fold a couple lengthwise and put them on top across the entire width of the back seat area to make it more even. Additionally, if you need to make more room, the rear seat backs are simple to remove.

This should be more than adequate. After all, we're talking about a dog here. (No I'm not a dog hater, so don't anyone even start throwing spears).

Sean
That's definitely a solution, I was really wondering if there's anything specific for a 911 as a way to get around this.

If it were just once and a while I could see myself doing what you described but this drive is very regular for me and i'd rather just have a "one and done" fix for it.

As far as removing the back seats are concerned... that may be a good idea.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh no, I can see where this is headed....
Old 05-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does your girlfriend like the dog? If not, get rid of her and put the dog in the front seat!

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
The following 2 users liked this post by Captsteve123:
ATX_Native (07-01-2021), JAAM (06-27-2021)
Old 05-21-2014, 08:01 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

A dog in the 911
Old 05-21-2014, 08:16 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you Tommy

But a Google search brings up some interesting concepts..

Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The dog in your first picture looks like he will mess you up!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:12 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I used to have a dog. No current pets in the house.
If your dog is a puppy, teach it to wear a seat belt. There are special dog harnesses that attach to the seat belt. Before anyone "why would you secure your dog?". An unsecured 50-100 pound projectile inside the cabin? Leave your dog at home then. I'm all for taking a dog in my car, I would never put my kid in the back seat unsecured? Would you put your dog in the back of a pick up bed? Safety of your kid? safety of you pet? safety of the other occupants in the vehicle. If your thinking of putting your dog in the car, consider safety too, as well as comfort of your pet.
They are called accidents, not onpurposes.
The following users liked this post:
bbinder (03-07-2021)
Old 05-22-2014, 07:40 PM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
A dog in the 911
^ What he said
Old 05-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Pictures of the girlfriend would help. ;-)
Old 05-22-2014, 08:48 PM
calgary7er
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Irish Terrier loves it in the back seat. All I do is remove the bottom cushion (Velcro'd in and easy to remove) and he just curls up....

Old 05-22-2014, 09:11 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by calgary7er
My Irish Terrier loves it in the back seat. All I do is remove the bottom cushion (Velcro'd in and easy to remove) and he just curls up....

AWESOME !!!

Just not sure how my Great Dane would fit in...

Old 03-07-2021, 10:29 AM
Babakazoo
Intermediate

Default FurHaven

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin
I'm looking at a 997.1 or 997.2 and the one thing I haven't figured out is where to put my 50ish lb dog for travel.

I have a 2-3 hour drive once a month or so where I need to be able to have the dog in the car... and due to the odd divider between the seats i'm not sure how she will be able to sit comfortably.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have searched for "Porsche 911 dog seats" etc and everything I find seems generic for any car.

I currently use the "hammock" style seat cover in my current 4 door car which works great, but i'm not sure how well that will work in the 911.

Thanks in advance!

edit: it's worth noting that my girlfriend will be in the front seat so that is not an option :P
FurHaven on Amazon. I know this post is years old but i found the perfect dog bed that protects the leather. My pug climbs in before we go, i put her in and she's tucked in like a bug. She's 27lbs there larger too.

Pug in sled. The dog transfer way.

991.2 - Bella

Old 03-07-2021, 11:50 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I used to have a dog. No current pets in the house.
If your dog is a puppy, teach it to wear a seat belt. There are special dog harnesses that attach to the seat belt. Before anyone "why would you secure your dog?". An unsecured 50-100 pound projectile inside the cabin? Leave your dog at home then. I'm all for taking a dog in my car, I would never put my kid in the back seat unsecured? Would you put your dog in the back of a pick up bed? Safety of your kid? safety of you pet? safety of the other occupants in the vehicle. If your thinking of putting your dog in the car, consider safety too, as well as comfort of your pet.
They are called accidents, not onpurposes.
or just get a volvo and live happily ever after. We are becoming a nation of....you know what.

Last edited by linderpat; 03-07-2021 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Any suggestions for a "dog seat" for the backseat?