Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 997 Cab - How worn is this interior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014 | 02:16 PM
Para82
Race Car

Most of my obvious wear and tear is only visible on the buttons of the PCM/Nav module.
Old 05-08-2014 | 02:25 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Based on what I see, I am not sure I would be so quick to judge whether the car was "babied" or not. I have an '06 C4S with 17K miles that I know has been babied, but my center console doesn't look that good. That soft-touch paint is extremely easy to scratch/knick up, no matter how careful you are.

If someone did go through all the hassle of removing and repainting the center console for aesthetic reasons, then why would they stop short of addressing the e-brake and steering wheel? Seems pointless to me. Therefore it's completely plausible that is the original finish on the console (which would indicate a "babied" car).

It is my opinion that what we see here is the result of continued exposure to sunscreen. The chemicals in sunscreen can do nasty things to leather (like change its color). The reason I know this is my wife has a 2010 Buick Enclave that we've owned since new. That car has been treated very well, but the light gray leather has turned green in certain areas (in the backrests near your shoulder blades and the lower seat sections under your thighs. I took the car to a leather restorer and he said it was the result of someone sitting in the seats repeatedly with sunscreen on. He asked me if I ever took my kids to the beach and if they were wearing sunscreen. The answer was "Yes." The only solution was to re-dye the sections that were experiencing the color change.

Sean
Old 05-08-2014 | 09:53 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

I don't wear sunscreen or lotion or anything like it. I can only guess that there is something variable in the chemistry of different people's skin oil and/or perspiration that has a more pronounced effect on the leather dye. Plus I suppose some people's hands are rougher textured than others also.
Old 05-08-2014 | 10:06 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

I have an almost new hand brake in carbon fiber and beige leather, if you need it.
Old 05-08-2014 | 10:44 PM
porterror
Racer

I'm going to see how well their detail is tomorrow. Please keep that on hold and PM me what you are asking. Thanks! This board is awesome.

Originally Posted by Robocop305
I have an almost new hand brake in carbon fiber and beige leather, if you need it.
Old 05-08-2014 | 10:53 PM
Comanche_699
Rennlist Member

You didn't mention the mileage on the car or what state it's in. I mean, if it's got 100k miles on it, it may be better than normal wear. If it spent a lot of time with the top down in the desert, etc.

It definitely doesn't look like it spent most of its time under a silk blankie in a climate controlled garage, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The car is purpose built, (to be driven and driven and driven!) so it looks to me like the PO was more interested in driving it than spending time massaging the leather with fancy product.

This actually may be helpful in preventing you from stressing over every little scuff or stain in the future.

If they have a good detail shop you will be surprised at how well these cars clean up. Because they are well made and use great materials, there is always the potential to witness a miracle if in the hands of a good detailer.
Old 05-08-2014 | 11:37 PM
porterror
Racer

Car only has 28k miles on it. Very low for 2006. Anyone know of a good detail show in south jersey?
Old 05-09-2014 | 12:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

That's a lot of wear for such low miles--from my experience. My 06 Cab looks a heck of a lot better than that but I also have natural leather. The non-natural leathers prematurely wear.
Old 05-09-2014 | 12:49 AM
ATLDiver
Racer

Default My car had a little over 26K on it when I bought it.

Originally Posted by porterror
Car only has 28k miles on it. Very low for 2006. Anyone know of a good detail show in south jersey?
I saw a half dozen '06-'07's with under 35K so I don't know if the one you're looking at breaks the mold so to speak. Most guys that buy these new have a primary vehicle or simply just don't drive much. In some cases, low miles can be more of a problem.

Make sure you have full service records, likely there's not many due to low miles but I'd try to account for every one of those 28K miles as possible.
Old 05-09-2014 | 01:06 AM
porterror
Racer

I'll see what PPI turns up. I'm going try to get her under 40k. At that price and mileage I think it's a good deal.
Old 05-09-2014 | 09:50 AM
ATLDiver
Racer

Default Good luck with your PPI

No offense but getting under 40K is unrealistic with a dealer, that's below book and just isn't going to happen. 41K sounds about right providing its a clean PPI; also depending on how much the leather repairs costs.

Originally Posted by porterror
I'll see what PPI turns up. I'm going try to get her under 40k. At that price and mileage I think it's a good deal.
Old 05-09-2014 | 10:52 AM
zero9
AutoX

My car looked almost identical (possibly worse). I purchased it from an older gentleman who was in his 80s, so I don't think he was driving around town ripping up the brake doing power slides/drifting thru town etc. The reality is these interiors are cheap and pretty inferior/poorly designed (especially considering the price of the vehicles new). IMHO... I don't think it has anything to do with how hard the car was driven. Maybe just an indication that it was driven... which they say is one of the better indications of it being on the safer side for IMS failures. Low mileage unused cars are suppose to be more risk than ones that have been DDs. A good leather guy can make it look almost new. So if you get a good deal on the car (beat them up on the conditioning work it needs) you can spend a tiny bit and make it look brand new. Or pay a premium for one that's flawless. Also the parts on the interior aren't terribly expensive and are easy to install. I cleaned mine up a bit and replaced a few parts and pieces and it's beginning to look brand new. I've only owned it a few weeks. Mechanically it was sound and I'd prefer that over a few conditioning issues since I can fix those and they're cheaper. Good luck!
Old 05-09-2014 | 11:33 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Let me know if you get the car and I will send you the pics and the price. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 2006 997 Cab - How worn is this interior?