997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating a 997 purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014 | 01:33 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Living here in Colorado, you have to get a turbo, everything else just feels super slow.
Old 04-30-2014 | 01:45 PM
ksozay
Racer

Apologies for being late to the topic with my comment but you might want to consider an 08/09 turbo. I believe, happy to be mistaken, that the 08/09 MY turbos were actually a blended gen 1/gen 2 car in which they have many of the same electrical components/interior updates that were later introduced in the 997.2 non-turbo cars. Take a look at the following car for reference:

http://www.bellevueporsche.com/auto/...turbo/1495377/

You will notice that the radio/nav is sort of a hybrid between the 997.1 and 997.2 models. So, it's possible to get a nice compromise by opting for an 08 turbo.

Hope this helps!

KS
Old 04-30-2014 | 02:02 PM
Collin Chapin
Instructor

I'm currently in a strangely similar situation... so it's nice to see all of these replies.

Out of curiosity, a couple people mention going for newer models for better electronics, are we referring to just the internal AC/radio controls etc? Or actual engine electronics?

Sorry for asking such a "noob" question, this is my first Porsche purchase.

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-30-2014 | 02:12 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Thanks Tim! Sounds like you're enjoying the 997. Everyone here brings up very good points. Ultimately, I think I'll need to take the same advice that we give people who visit the 996 board: drive both cars and then decide.

Fortunately, I have the luxury of time to find the right car. I'm not in any rush.

This is how you'll get the 911 to keep. Don't settle on options, get the car you are really looking for. When I was shopping for mine I had certain requirements which made the process a lot more difficult. Things like PCCB's, full leather, adaptive sport seats, paint specific etc. Also to make it more stressful nearly the entire 14 month search was conducted while in a warzone on a high-tempo contract.

I've been driving the 911 of my dreams for over 5 years now, it was all worth it.
Old 04-30-2014 | 04:17 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I'm with you on searching for the right options. I did that when I bought my 996 C4S, and I'll do it again. I don't plan to settle for something that I don't really want. Finding a car with the right combination of colors for me is a bit challenging. I don't want a black, gray or silver car. This rules out about 75% of the choices. I'd prefer blue, green, red or yellow, and I would also consider white. I would also like the full-leather interior option, and I'd like a manual transmission. I'd love to find a car with deviated stitching on the seats, especially if it's white, red or yellow.

I'll be patient with it - the search is half the fun!
Old 04-30-2014 | 04:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Here's an interesting 2008 turbo that I stumbled across that meets most of my requirements...
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2014 | 05:28 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Full leather is standard on the Turbo.
Old 04-30-2014 | 05:37 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I've seen some that seem to have more stitching on the doors and the console. Are these simply additional leather options?
Old 04-30-2014 | 05:45 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

When I bought my current 2009 C2S I also strongly considered a 2008 Turbo. I went away from the Turbo for reasons that may not be of concern toyou if money is no concern, but here were my thoughts.
  • I thought the 997.2 S was plenty fast.
  • I cannot stop myself from doing some basic mods (I''m changing the mufflers this weekend!). Mods on a Turbo are a lot more expensive.
  • Higher mileage Turbos lose a lot larger percentage of their value on resale than non-Turbos that have accumulated the same number of miles. I wanted something I was comfortable using as a DD and not have to sweat the miles too much.
  • Maintenance costs approach almost twice as much on a Turbo once you consider that the intervals are more frequent and each maintenance item typically are markedly more expensive.
  • I'm considering keeping this one post-CPO, I really like it. In case of a major failure, the cost in a non-Turbo is much more palatable.
  • Insurance is more expensive for a Turbo.

So maybe I'm just cheap, but all of that can add up to quite a lot. If the money aspect isn't a concern, then a Turbo would be wonderful! I think you'd find the power in the DFI 997.2s would do just fine even at altitude.
Old 04-30-2014 | 05:52 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Collin Chapin
I'm currently in a strangely similar situation... so it's nice to see all of these replies.

Out of curiosity, a couple people mention going for newer models for better electronics, are we referring to just the internal AC/radio controls etc? Or actual engine electronics?

Sorry for asking such a "noob" question, this is my first Porsche purchase.

Thank you in advance!
If you are asking questions about electronics, then you probably want to go with a 997.2 PCM 3.0 version, making sure it has Bluetooth and the Universal Audio Interface (yes, oddly enough in 2009 they were optional). The finish on the trim holds up a lot better and the Nav system is nicer/newer. (BTW, when you buy and if you buy from a dealer, be sure to get them to throw in the latest Nav update regardless of 997.1 or 997.2. I've gotten it for free both times my making it one of the final deal closers after $$$ discussions aren't going any further).

Last edited by StormRune; 04-30-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2014 | 11:48 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I looked at a 2009 C4S on Saturday, black exterior and interior. It was very nice and very well equipped. Mileage in the low 20s, listed at my local dealer at $69K. The salesman told me that he had a little wiggle room on the price. They also had a gray 2008 turbo, but it was above my price range.

Still not sure which direction I'll go with this purchase. If the C4S had been a different color combination, I might have purchased it yesterday. The salesman was dealing with several people yesterday - it was relatively crowded. It seems that there is currently a heavily incentivized lease program on new 991 cars, and many people were interested. A two year, low mileage lease on a 991 wouldn't be much more per month than buying a 997.2 C4S or turbo.

Decisions... Decisions...
Old 05-04-2014 | 12:41 PM
thejoee
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Still not sure which direction I'll go with this purchase. If the C4S had been a different color combination, I might have purchased it yesterday.
This should answer your question. Your direction: On to the next one. Unless you're leasing, buy the car that meets all your wants.
Old 05-04-2014 | 12:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Yeah, you're right. I should buy exactly what I want. I'll pass on this one.
Old 06-12-2014 | 05:18 PM
Schpee007
Pro

Dennis, did you find your new ride?

Quick Reply: Contemplating a 997 purchase