Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How tough is the inside door handle (dumb question of the week)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 12:01 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How tough is the inside door handle (dumb question of the week)

Got a dumb question to ask in the hope of preventing a future "incident." So, how tough is the attachment point of the inside (leather wrapped) handle or really the pull? Not the handle to open the door but the upright angled handle you might pull the door closed with. I've had them come completely dislodged in other cars if someone pulls too hard. Now when I have a certain passenger in the car and we're going quickly through some twists and turns, she clenches that handle 'til her forearm is sore. I know I'd feel bad if it became loose and I had to kick her out while we going 70 mph. Should I be concerned? Thanks!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Are you dating the she-hulk?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:25 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

Yes. How did you know? She is of German decent after all. Small but SOLID!
Old 04-28-2014, 12:28 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by 1GoodTurn
Got a dumb question to ask in the hope of preventing a future "incident." So, how tough is the attachment point of the inside (leather wrapped) handle or really the pull? Not the handle to open the door but the upright angled handle you might pull the door closed with. I've had them come completely dislodged in other cars if someone pulls too hard. Now when I have a certain passenger in the car and we're going quickly through some twists and turns, she clenches that handle 'til her forearm is sore. I know I'd feel bad if it became loose and I had to kick her out while we going 70 mph. Should I be concerned? Thanks!
It seems the answer to your question would likely have no bearing on future behavior, so it's rhetorical, right? I picture you back-handing her if the handle comes loose. Priceless visual. haha
Old 04-28-2014, 12:34 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

Well I am thinking of ways to alter the behavior. I've thought of "accidentally" breaking her right arm thereby forcing her to keep it in a sling at all times. Or duct tape could be an option. Straight jacket? Maybe wrapping the handle with barbed wire. Or was it designed as an "oh sh_t" handle?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:50 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Handcuffs (fur lined, of course) with a short chain to the seat rails.

Never know where that will lead.
Old 04-28-2014, 02:22 PM
PTParks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 point racing harness. And handcuffs.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:47 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Methinks that Porsche designed the handles to take a beating so let this certain one have at it!

I'm curious if she also keeps her eyes closed?!

When certain passengers like yours ride with me, I try to give them a head's up when I'm about to do something perfectly safe, purposely (and oftentimes so much fun!)
Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

As far as I know, her eyes are open. And I know her mouth is since she is either screaming or yelling at me to slow down. I do check to see if she's ok as she watches me push the "Sport Mode" button. She knows what's coming next! I just can't get her to stop yanking that handle like it's a hand brake.......Well at least she doesn't grab the hand brake!
Old 04-28-2014, 04:16 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

And to "PTParks" where about in central NC?
Old 04-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

I am sure there is "something else" she could hold on to but then again - you might not want her to hold on to "it"
Old 04-28-2014, 05:14 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If she tugs hard at the seat belt, it locks and holds you very securely to the seat but that won't prevent the seat getting wet due to your antics so beware. Turning on the seat heater may not be a good idea as that might lead to a short circuit :P
Old 04-29-2014, 02:10 AM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by david
When certain passengers like yours ride with me, I try to give them a head's up when I'm about to do something perfectly safe, purposely (and oftentimes so much fun!)
Sounds familiar! I forgot to say the phrase "red alert" to my wife before some "spirited driving" this weekend, and she was not best pleased. I said that I thought the downshift to 2nd gear was fair warning. Apparently not
Old 04-29-2014, 07:22 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by n1gels
Sounds familiar! I forgot to say the phrase "red alert" to my wife before some "spirited driving" this weekend, and she was not best pleased. I said that I thought the downshift to 2nd gear was fair warning. Apparently not
But doesn't your wife like to also drive Moby?!

I also got some displeasure from my SO when she suggested the following to me a few weeks back after the C4S almost swallowed a bird: "you could drive slower." She was right: I do not want to be cleaning a dead bird outta the front end.

However we are making some progress: after a couple of road trips in the 997 (Fatush), Susan has acquiesced and agreed to let the SC go and keep the 997!

The 997 is such a fantastic touring car. We did an overniter to Ventura recently which was so much fun and super easy. I seem to never get tired driving this vintage long distance!

That said she is taking a bit longer than I expected to become accustomed to the vehicle's capabilities (and relax into it) but I expect that will come with more practice.

Moral of the story: respect the passenger if ya got one, otherwise there are a number of ways things could get messy.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:56 PM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by david
But doesn't your wife like to also drive Moby?!
Yes, she does. She just prefers to be in the drivers seat!

However we are making some progress: after a couple of road trips in the 997 (Fatush), Susan has acquiesced and agreed to let the SC go and keep the 997!
Funny, we've been talking about adding an older air-cooled 911. I suspect the vacation home will take priority over that though...

That said she is taking a bit longer than I expected to become accustomed to the vehicle's capabilities (and relax into it) but I expect that will come with more practice.
My wife joined me at a Porsche Driver's Skills class as soon as we got Moby so she could get comfortable with how the car handles. She was paranoid because of the tail-happy history of the 911 and had never driven a rear wheel drive car. She didn't trust the 997 because of that. After getting the car on a skid pan and slalom she had a lot more confidence.

We're heading down the coast to Sonoma and Point Reyes later this year, so that will be a great opportunity for her to learn more about the car.

Moral of the story: respect the passenger if ya got one, otherwise there are a number of ways things could get messy.
Amen to that!

Quick Reply: How tough is the inside door handle (dumb question of the week)