997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tracking a 997

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014 | 11:11 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Just do it. The motor is not going to blow up if you run on street tires. If you can race a bike, you already know how to stay in the throttle when things start to slide around, which you definitely have to do on a rear engine car. lifting while the car is pushing is a recipe for a spin.

With your experience, I'll bet you'll be getting a point by by almost everyone on the track, especially if its a track you know.
Old 05-06-2014 | 12:27 AM
NephroC4S
Racer

I had my first track event this past weekend in my 997.1 and absolutely loved it! It was through the PCA. I am hooked and am looking forward to many more events. I need to really get heel-toe down and am practicing on the street when I can. I think these cars were meant to be tracked, driven and used year round and as much as possible and I am happy to oblige
Old 05-10-2014 | 02:09 PM
jbrow
Advanced

Thanks for all the responses - I can comfortably conclude that a few subtle mods will give me what I need to get started (at least).

StormRune - Your comments are particularly interesting. I'm definitely concerned that I won't find enough thrill in the car experience after years on a bike, but I'm hoping that the act of driving something with the mass of a car will deliver its own unique set of feelings and challenges to excite me on a slightly different level. I've yet to find anything anywhere near as exhilarating as dragging limbs at 160mph... but I'm hoping the fact that I can show up to a weekend without wondering if I'll be carted off in an ambulance will help with my overall enjoyment.
Old 05-11-2014 | 11:04 AM
RichFL
Rennlist Member

I use my 997.2 at PCA DE events in the blue (intermediate) group. This may be obvious, but research tire pressures. Porsche recommends that the rear tires be 44 lbs cold which causes the front end to understeer particularly when hot from a track. I run mine at 38 lbs on the track which means I have to remove 10 lbs or more. I think I remove over 5 lbs from the front and I run them around 36 lbs on the track. I run at Sebring in FL so less adjustment may be needed on a cooler track. Other than that, the only mods I've done is Castrol SRF brake fluid and had the wheel alignment changed slightly to improve its handling. My car is a 6 speed so I haven't added a 3rd radiator although I do think about doing so.

Quick Reply: Tracking a 997