Musty Smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Musty Smell

Only when I tilt or open the sunroof. Changed the cabin filter and checked for water damage found nothing. Any combination of cracked or open windows does not duplicate it. Sunroof only. ?
Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

You have mold in your HVAC system somewhere, including your condenser. When you open the sunroof your create the right drafting to make the odor apparent near your nose. There are some sprays you can use that are fairly effective.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:40 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Is the smell from the dash or sunroof area? Since you say it only happens with the sunroof open I'd start there. Perhaps a clogged drain hole in the sunroof leading to minor damp areas in the interior roof area after the car is washed or it rains?

Start with a visual inspection of a partially open and fully open sunroof. Verify the sunroof drains are not clogged with a small amount of water in the four corners near the drains. Try looking for leaks around the gasket with a garden hose & closed sunroof, then open the sunroof & check for damp areas. The interior sunroof liner can be removed leaving a clear view from the inside with the sunroof closed too. There is a DIY somewhere showing how to remove it. It can be a bit tricky but is a DIY. Repeat some of these steps while watching from inside the car without the interior liner installed.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:04 AM
moewingw
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best thing to do is read this guide, and make sure you use room fresheners.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:37 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 66 Posts

I had a moldy odor in my 997 last summer, before using the chemical treatment. tried a suggestion I read online. Before parking the car run your vent system w the AC button off and fan on that should “dry out” the condenser before you park, I did it a few times about 2-3 mins or driving before I parked and it was gone after a few drives.

Quick Reply: Musty Smell