Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's cheaper: a body man, a lawyer or a pistol?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014 | 10:46 AM
Mojo31
Racer

Originally Posted by targaC4S
I never understood these perfect car obsessions... I guess maybe if it was an Enzo.
One man's Porsche is another man's Enzo.
Old 04-17-2014 | 12:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

My friend up the street just got a Cayman S....let his wife drive it and she pulls int he drive way, garage door shut hits the open button and her foot slips off the clutch and wham the car goes under door, through the door, the door scrapes over the hood, windshield and top. Dents and scrapes everywhere...looks like a mess.
This just happened 2 weeks ago and car is still in the body shop.
Old 04-17-2014 | 02:26 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by mdrums
My friend up the street just got a Cayman S....let his wife drive it and she pulls int he drive way, garage door shut hits the open button and her foot slips off the clutch and wham the car goes under door, through the door, the door scrapes over the hood, windshield and top. Dents and scrapes everywhere...looks like a mess.
This just happened 2 weeks ago and car is still in the body shop.

Good lord - that right there takes talent.

Unless she's some sort of prodigy, there is no way I would let a woman drive my 6speed cars. Not a chance in hell.
Old 04-17-2014 | 01:36 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

For the record, my wife is a pretty good driver. The manual transmission does not intimidate her in the least. It was just a matter of an unfamiliar environment and a tricky manuever to back out of that particular garage bay.

Thank you all for your comments.

This too shall pass...
Old 04-17-2014 | 10:28 PM
nbrigdan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Cuda911
This is a good thing. Now you can "bank" this incident and pull it out of your back pocket the next time you screw up.

Oh, wait, that only works the other way around with wimmin-folk logic.

Never mind. Carry on...
+∞
Old 04-19-2014 | 12:04 AM
spender
Pro

Your wife was honest with you and pointed it out right away, when it was obviously an accident and you're somehow upset? You're a lucky man to have a wife who not only was immediately upfront with you, but also knows (and loves you) enough to see that this would be a big deal to you. This is one of those really small things in life, stuff happens, yet you're making it a big deal. Suck it up buttercup.

Peace.
Old 04-19-2014 | 12:08 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your comments Spender, but I think you missed the point of my initial post. I readily admit that it is a small thing and life goes on.

Please consider it sucked up by this buttercup.
Old 04-19-2014 | 08:48 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JD911
Thank you for your comments Spender, but I think you missed the point of my initial post. I readily admit that it is a small thing and life goes on.

Please consider it sucked up by this buttercup.
Don't mind Spender, he's from Canada eh?
Old 04-19-2014 | 09:00 PM
Ipecac
Advanced

JD911: Awesome post. First of all, thanks for this post. It is obvious I'm not alone and it looks like many of us share the same sentiments with our 997.

Second of all, it's obvious you have an awesome family (esp. your daughter suggesting your wife just go to bed before you go home - I'm still laughing at that), and you're a pretty level headed guy. Are all Portland-ians like that? We head down every few months, and everyone we meet there has been great.

Jonn

Originally Posted by JD911
So, my son and I spent 2 hours at his lacrosse practice (him playing, me coaching). Upon our return, we were greeted in the driveway by my wife. I immediately understand that something is amiss.

We are quickly steered toward the 997. She rips off the bandaid and tells me she scraped the planter as she backed out of the garage. (Her Prius was in for service.) I try not to show my disappointment, but I'm certain it is written all over my face. I quickly work through the grief, and choke back a tear (in other words, four letter words) It is just a car... I'm better than this!

My wife has been beating herself up while we've been away. I try to put myself in her shoes. The waiting must have been agonizing. This was her first time behind the wheel. The outcome was the exact reason she has avoided even looking at her...

Am I an ogre? Did I create this outcome through my compulsions? Did I make my wife secretly hate this car and want to injure it subconsciously? I guess I haven't worked through all five stages just yet.

It can be repaired. It's just a bumper cover and a wheel arch. They can rebuild her. She will be faster, stronger...

My son gave me a good, long hug. He still loves me just the same. My daughter told my wife that she should go to bed before I got home. We will survive this episode and be stronger for it. Life will have meaning again in time.

Have a wonderful weekend. Perspective is a beautiful thing.

Thanks for listening.
Old 04-19-2014 | 09:14 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Tim and Jonn:

Thanks for the sentiments. I was going to make a Calgary crack, but didn't want to start an international incident...

As for all Portlandians: I can't really speak to that. As a lot of people in Portland, I am a transplant. It's a pretty nice place to live, though. This is our second stint here and hopefully we will be here for a good, long time.

Drop me a line next time you're in town. Always up to hoist a beer.
Old 05-24-2014 | 01:58 PM
bostonboomer
5th Gear

Funny post. My wife did this to my X5M not too long ago. She took it to the airport, hit a curb, and put some nice scratches into the back wheel that I had just put on the car. It's actually a good thing. She was so bent out of shape about it, and when she told me, she was so surprised that my response was: "OK great. Now the honeymoon period is over and I can enjoy the car."

She drives both of my 911's and is way more relaxed now that she knows I don't really care if she hits something. It only gets better coming back from the shop (something gets upgraded any time it goes there, even for a small scratch).
Old 05-24-2014 | 03:40 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
My wife hit a deer while we were in Colorado. In the end it is just a car, get it fixed and enjoy. :-)

yes, perspective...think how the deer feels...
Old 05-24-2014 | 03:53 PM
A790
Intermediate

Just a car bud. Family is so much more important.

If you get wrecked whenever your car gets a scratch I suggest selling it, buying something considerably cheaper, and enjoy that.
Old 08-05-2014 | 05:22 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to close the loop on this one... Finally got around to getting an estimate for the repair:

$1,758

Still debating whether to make an insurance claim for it. Probably just easier to bite the bullet.

Thanks all.
Old 08-05-2014 | 11:41 PM
Iceter
Drifting

That bill is under my personal threshold for paying out of pocket. Save the insurance claims for something bigger.

As for the scrape, look at the bright side. Now, your wife might be too scared to ever want to drive your car again.

My wife said she wanted to learn to drive our boat. I was hesitant, but said ok. Before she had even backed out of the slip she hit the lift and bent the prop. Less than 30 seconds at the helm and she'd done a couple hundred Dollars in damage. Now she's afraid of the thing and never wants to drive it. Fine with me.

Quick Reply: What's cheaper: a body man, a lawyer or a pistol?