Sponsored by:

Durametric "Communication Error "

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Durametric "Communication Error "

Was using my Durametric to confirm TPMS sensors had died and found all but one DOA. Car is '07 and these where original sensors so got my monies worth. Will be replacing all 4 . But, while checking for other codes got the following;

C 102
C 202
C 131

And more important I could not access any info on the All Wheel Drive system as I got a "Communication error" notification while attempting to read info. Can anyone give me some insight on the codes and the communication. Would also love to know where I can get a brake down on the Durametric codes and how they relate to Porsches codes.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I recently got at a Durametric cable and hooked it up to my car. I also got a few messages like that. After recesearch, I have found that there are error codes that occur but are not serious enough to light up any warning lights on the instrument panel. Common errors include codes related to airbag, comfort seat, PASM, front module. You can clear them and drive for a while to see if and when they return. They may or may not be important/critical. Any minor communication glitch can result in an error code being logged.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe some of those codes can be caused by having the battery disconnected, module replaced, etc. If it were me, I would clear them all, short test all modules and see if they come back. If they do not, just check for them in a few weeks. If they do, then something may be amiss and require further investigation.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:26 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a couple quick thoughts from a "somewhat seasoned" Durametric user ...
sometimes I get Durametric error codes that seem to be random - not random from Durametric's POV but random due to something with the car. Reconnecting the cable and they are gone. Also I have sent emails to Owen at Durametric several times when I get an error from Durametric as they are not 100% translated into a Porsche error. He is very happy to make the translation into something more Porsche specific and understandable (if he has it).
Old 04-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Will try both. Biggest concern was the communication error indicating that the AWD system could not be accessed. I got the message on all three of the areas that the Durametric 6 can access.
I checked on Durametric's the site to confirm that the cable can access the AWD system. The fact that I can't is of particular concern.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:08 PM
PhilD
Pro

Make sure it is recognizing your vehicle correctly. I don't know, but I'm guessing, if it's only seeing it as 2WD car then no AWD module will be displayed. I have a 2WD and certainly see no AWD module.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Dadio
Instructor

No it's an AWD model but I ran the short test on all modules and got a PSM fault and low voltage reading which could be contributing the PSM fault and the Communication issue. Will plug in the charger over night and retest in the AM. The car isn't exhibiting any issues so am not panicking over it but would like to get to the bottom of the codes issues. No engine codes on any of the readings I took today.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 357 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I recently got at a Durametric cable and hooked it up to my car. I also got a few messages like that. After recesearch, I have found that there are error codes that occur but are not serious enough to light up any warning lights on the instrument panel. Common errors include codes related to airbag, comfort seat, PASM, front module. You can clear them and drive for a while to see if and when they return. They may or may not be important/critical. Any minor communication glitch can result in an error code being logged.
I believe a weak battery can also trip some of those codes.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:47 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by Dadio
No it's an AWD model
Yes, but is Durametric recognizing it as one? It automatically detects my car as a 2006 GT3, both year and model are incorrect.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:15 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilD
Yes, but is Durametric recognizing it as one? It automatically detects my car as a 2006 GT3, both year and model are incorrect.
This happened to me also. I went back to the main menu and changed it to my model ( 2008 S)
Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Originally Posted by PhilD
When you put it that way it makes more sense to me. I assumed the cable was automatically getting it right. As I'm not getting a choice at the startup screen, where do I go in to change it ?
Old 04-11-2014, 09:48 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
I believe a weak battery can also trip some of those codes.
I think you're right but in my case, as I use the Smart Top to open the top as I approach the car. Short trips and too much dropping the top before I start the engine may have caused the temporary voltage drop. Will try the Durametric again in morning with a fully charged battery and see if I get different results. And it wouldn't hurt to have Autozone check the battery out .
Old 04-12-2014, 12:10 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by Dadio
When you put it that way it makes more sense to me. I assumed the cable was automatically getting it right. As I'm not getting a choice at the startup screen, where do I go in to change it ?
First look at the top of the Durametric screen and it will tell you what it "thinks" your vehicle is, see pic below.

I found the pdf below in my travels written by Pete Dolfis. The first section explains how to select the vehicle yourself. I found there was a 1 or 2 unnecessary steps, but it will get you there.
Attached Images  
Attached Images

Quick Reply: Durametric "Communication Error "