Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Very slick, in the best of ways!
Old 05-03-2015, 09:24 PM
MadScience
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a very similar approach. In fact I originally envisioned doing something closer to that.

I ended up with the hooks because it allowed me to get it all the way up against the headliner. The visor retains the full range of motion, and obscures it from the cabin in the fully down position.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:21 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by gray911
Hi. I recently broke my Valentine one windshield suction mount. It fell on my seat and I accidentally sat on it. Did a search on Amazon and saw this sun visor mount. I wonder if any here has used this. I want to know if it is compatible with 997 visors. Thanks.

Amazon.com: STEALTH BLACK SUN VISOR ORGANIZER POUCH FOR VALENTINE ONE V1 HIDDEN RADAR DETECTOR: Car Electronics

Vic
I like the custom approaches in this tread. I have the stealth sun visor organizer pouch in my other car and I LOVE it. I cant find it online though. I am now contemplating making a stealth visor mount myself.
If not, I might try one of the headliner approaches in this tread.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:26 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the 700c bicycle innertube Nice hack
Old 05-31-2020, 11:24 PM
bfrank
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Messed up. Please see next post.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:30 PM
bfrank
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MadScience
Kicking an old thread with something I haven't seen before.

I hacked the suction cup mount with some clips that let it hang from the headliner:

I might make a nicer (fabric wrapped) version, but for now this will do.

I have it hanging behind the sun visor on the drivers side, much as I've seen many folks do with the suction cups. This has same effect without putting something on the actual windshield (which is technically not ok in California). Since it's covered by the visor it's stealthish, though I'd still think it would be noticed if it didn't keep me honest at the wrong moment.

For wiring I ended up using some pre-existing vampire taps right by the front fuse box. I removed a passport remote from there that appears to have been part of this CPO car. Not sure why someone did that rather than using an "add a fuse" since they were right there already.
This looks like good solution. Do you still use it? What did you use for the clips?
Old 06-01-2020, 01:06 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

I have the blendmount in my cars.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:02 AM
bfrank
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
I have the blendmount in my cars.
The Blendmount looks like a clean, high quality option. I’m concerned about the V1 obstructing my view. I was hoping for an option that could put it to either side of the mirror. I have a remote display so I don’t need to be able to see the detector itself.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by bfrank
The Blendmount looks like a clean, high quality option. I’m concerned about the V1 obstructing my view. I was hoping for an option that could put it to either side of the mirror. I have a remote display so I don’t need to be able to see the detector itself.
It doesn't bother me. I don't have the remote display and it's just a quick eye flick away. It's tucked up pretty snug to the mirror and doesn't feel obtrusive. It's also crazy secure so I don't need to worry about it going flying on spirited drives.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

The suction mount made by radarmount.com is very good - https://radarmount.com/collections/m...oducts/3003004

Old 06-01-2020, 05:58 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

I hate to have things hanging in my vision. And some of the posts here gave me incentive to get rid of those pesky suction cups that pop off just as you land or hit the apex on a favorite curve. So ...

I fabricated some rubber covered angle pieces to fit into the headliner. Too much wiggle and it was bound to bounce.

I have been debating building something very custom on the mill to attach to the mirror but most of the mirror is attached to the windshield and where it finally is free I feel it is a bit weak to clamp to and would require too much articulation for a bracket to get the V1 to where I would want it. Long brackets vibrate.

So I tried something else. The pictures are of a quickly built rough prototype ... The bracket is hand machined out of some scrap stock I had in the garage. If I like this as much as I think I will then I will make a pattern of the roofline that I can transfer to a wood block to cut the profile on my band saw so that I can properly form the metal (between the halves of the cut block) to smoothly fit exactly along the roof line. Of course then there will be edge trimming and anodizing to deal with to finish it off ... But the pictures should give a rough idea of the direction I took and give an idea of where it could go ...

So I pulled the sun visor bracket. Pull back the cover plate and remove one torx screw. Wiggle the bracket and it drops down. I took a 1.5 by 6.5 inch piece of 1/8 aluminum bar and cut an L shaped hole near one end so it would mount between the sun visor bracket and the head liner with compression only. I drilled a small hole on the other end so that the standard V1 mount could be secured with a single 8-32×1/2 screw with star nut. This is attached in place of the suction cup on the side that will push to V1 closest to the mirror. This tucks the detector tight against the headliner but just below the windshield tinting (so as not to compromise sensitivity) and about as far out of the way as possible. And it is absolutely solid.

Who knows? This could add 5 HP!!!
Attached Images   
The following 2 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
PierW (06-02-2020), TerrestrialFlyte (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 06:31 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I want one!!!
Old 06-02-2020, 12:37 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I want one!!!
That could happen!!!

We'll need to look at your new mounting bracket and unit size for placement and final trimming. That only affects the one end (near the windshield ... final bend angle and hole position).

I've got a Home Depot list for when I go shopping again. I added a length of aluminum bar to it. I don't want to reshape the test bracket since it's too easy to overwork aluminum and end up with stress cracks. There will be left over stock 8)
Old 06-02-2020, 04:09 PM
bfrank
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I hate to have things hanging in my vision. And some of the posts here gave me incentive to get rid of those pesky suction cups that pop off just as you land or hit the apex on a favorite curve. So ...

I fabricated some rubber covered angle pieces to fit into the headliner. Too much wiggle and it was bound to bounce.

I have been debating building something very custom on the mill to attach to the mirror but most of the mirror is attached to the windshield and where it finally is free I feel it is a bit weak to clamp to and would require too much articulation for a bracket to get the V1 to where I would want it. Long brackets vibrate.

So I tried something else. The pictures are of a quickly built rough prototype ... The bracket is hand machined out of some scrap stock I had in the garage. If I like this as much as I think I will then I will make a pattern of the roofline that I can transfer to a wood block to cut the profile on my band saw so that I can properly form the metal (between the halves of the cut block) to smoothly fit exactly along the roof line. Of course then there will be edge trimming and anodizing to deal with to finish it off ... But the pictures should give a rough idea of the direction I took and give an idea of where it could go ...

So I pulled the sun visor bracket. Pull back the cover plate and remove one torx screw. Wiggle the bracket and it drops down. I took a 1.5 by 6.5 inch piece of 1/8 aluminum bar and cut an L shaped hole near one end so it would mount between the sun visor bracket and the head liner with compression only. I drilled a small hole on the other end so that the standard V1 mount could be secured with a single 8-32×1/2 screw with star nut. This is attached in place of the suction cup on the side that will push to V1 closest to the mirror. This tucks the detector tight against the headliner but just below the windshield tinting (so as not to compromise sensitivity) and about as far out of the way as possible. And it is absolutely solid.

Who knows? This could add 5 HP!!!
I want one too. Not sure whether or not it would fit as I have a 2019 Cayenne. Great solution though.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:35 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I was thinking Wayne has a patentable and marketable product, but, perhaps, variations in design for specific cars and limited market for each design, may not make the product viable. But i'm sure many of us would be more than willing to pay T&M. And Wayne does like to keep busy!

Quick Reply: Other Valentine One mounting options