Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If this is the case then I can save some money..please read and tell me your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
What year is the car and how many miles? Here are the codes:

P0300 Random/MultiPle Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

Did you DIY the AWE exhaust system install or was it done by an Indy? BTW, is the entire system AWE including the cats... 200 cell cats?

I would normally suspect the coils... the exhaust system R&R may have affect them. Coils are located near the headers... if the coils were borderline in the 1st place then any banging around there to install the headers may have pushed them over the edge. Some more details would help us trouble shoot this properly. Do the CEL's happen more often in wet weather. Cracked coils tend to misbehave when moisture gets in them. Try clearing the codes then stray water on the underside of the engine. Get it nice and wet then start up and see if the CEL gremlins show immediately.
This is an inexpensive(free) trouble shooting technique. FWIW, even though you have not driven the car in the rain... cracked coils are suspect to issues due to moisture from outside humidity.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:44 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jkw911
Perhaps the exhaust work is not the problem but helping manifest a weakness already present. If your coils have never been replaced then your money will not be wasted regardless of the outcome. If your spark plugs have not been replaced I'd suggest replacing them as well and save on labor since it is basically no additional labor once the coils are removed.
Originally Posted by Cbst09
I believe he said that his plugs were replace last month. i agree that replacing the coils would not be wasted money due to his mileage. Could it be possible that the coils were either damaged during the spark plug replacement or not re-installed correctly leading to the misfiring? It does seem coincidental that you noticed the problems right after the AWE exhaust work done, I would however contact the folks at AWE to see if they have heard of this issue before and if perhaps any tweaking of the ecu is required to allow for the new flow of your exhaust. Just my 2 cents
Just to be redundant, I'm also in the "coils" camp.

Good luck.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Consider switching the suspected coil with another one from another cylinder. Then see if the problem code moves with it. If it does, you've nailed it as the coil.
this is a good idea. hadn't thought of that, thanks!

Originally Posted by Cbst09
I believe he said that his plugs were replace last month. i agree that replacing the coils would not be wasted money due to his mileage. Could it be possible that the coils were either damaged during the spark plug replacement or not re-installed correctly leading to the misfiring? It does seem coincidental that you noticed the problems right after the AWE exhaust work done, I would however contact the folks at AWE to see if they have heard of this issue before and if perhaps any tweaking of the ecu is required to allow for the new flow of your exhaust. Just my 2 cents
Unfortunately I ran out of time today and did not call AWE but I will take care of that tomorrow before the weekend.

I did, in fact, just have brand new OEM plugs put in hoping to resolve this misfire issue with no such luck. I don't believe they were damaged because this was happening long before I changed the plugs. Coincidental after the AWE install for sure though, huh

Originally Posted by Philster
My first stop would be to get high-quality fuel and fuel treatment before I did anything else. Twice now, just after simple upgrades like exhaust or intake/exhaust and a tune up on other performance vehicles, my CEL came on. Nothing seemed to keep it off until I switched to another gas station AND dropped in fuel treatement (good fuel injector cleaner) after my mechanic suggested it.

I doubted him 90 ways to Sunday. He was dead on right. To make more power, you need more fuel to burn. Your injectors better be up to the darn task to meet the in/out improvements you've now made! An injector deficiency that didn't cause a problem before might be just enough to make an ever-so-slight lean condition now with your mods. If ya had a wee bit more fuel, you could keep the fuel demand up now that your exhaust cycle allows for more on the intake.

Hey... call me crazy... and discount anecdtoal evidence, but when it's super cheap and harmless, ya gotta go for it.
and to think that I just purchased a full tank!

Originally Posted by stronbl
Just to be redundant, I'm also in the "coils" camp.

Good luck.
good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Another case of the mechanic who actually checked the car out being most probably correct in his diagnosis that the coils need to be replaced. For a car that is 8 years old, coils would be my guess but I'm guessing because I haven't had a chance to actually look at the car like the mechanic, who is also familiar with the car, did. I'd put my money on your mechanics diagnosis.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perk, any update on this?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:51 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Why anyone would continue to drive a Porsche with a CEL is BEYOND me..

That being said....

Most engines have valve opening/closing overlap to help extract the combusted gasses and SUCK in the new mixture. Exhaust valve remains open as the intake valve begins opening during early portion of the intake stroke allowing better inertial flow.

You have JUST improved your engine's ability to SUCK in the A/F mixture by ACCELERATING the exhaust outflow.

More complete FILL of the combustion chamber might result in the effective CR rising above the design specifications. Higher TDC pressure will sometimes result in plug NO-FIRE, Spark plug flash- overs, even flashovers INSIDE the COP.

Picture shows carbon path formed (F150 EcoBUST) due to MULTIPLE, thousands of misfires, resulting in plug flashovers.

Ford, with DI and FI, is operating the Ecobust engine right up to the "cusp" of having more TDC pressure then will allow firing across the plug gap, result FLASHOVERS!

Ford's problem is the result of sudden ingestion of water accumulated over time, idle/cruise mode in the bottom of the CAC end cap. Go WOT after a period (period depends on Rh) of time, high airflow "washes" condensate into the intake. Filling the combustion chamber with condensate/STEAM, plus FULL BOOST A/F mixture, Plug gap is suddenly to WIDE.
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by Perk10
Hey everyone,

This is a quick thread for a quick question and hopefully a quick solution

I purchased my car last June and drove the car for 4-5 weeks with absolutely zero check engine light's.

About 5 weeks into owning the vehicle I had AWE headers, mufflers and cats installed. At this point I started getting CEL's all the time. I went to AutoZone and bought a cheap code reader for 50 bucks and haven't thought much about it since. I was well aware it was emission related. Until recently...

A couple months after getting the system installed I started to drive my "new" Porsche more aggressively as I became more comfortable with her. Around this time I started seeing MORE CEL lights! When I would go to delete the usual exhaust system CEL codes I was starting to see something more... to be specific:

-P0300
-P0301 , etc.

As soon as I saw that I was having a possible misfire problem which I have NEVER actually felt, I had all new plugs put in. After having the plugs put in I have continued to experience these same misfire codes. Again, without the codes I would have NEVER known as I don't EVER feel anything that would indicate a misfire.

Now for a few questions - I assume the next step is to replace coils. Assuming Suncoast sells them, should I order 1, 2, 3 or all 6 and just knock it out?

Also, I spoke with a friend who told me that my coils may be absolutely FINE and that I am experiencing these codes ONLY because of my exhaust system sort of like a lean/rich code which would make sense since before the exhaust system was installed, I NEVER experienced one code ever...

Should I take the plunge and spend some cash or do I go with the thought that I am dealing with stupid codes due to an exhaust system and say "fvck it"....

Please share any and all insight!

Thanks in advance,
John
Find a way to partially block, temporarily restrict the exhaust flow, and see if that abates the CEL codes. You never "feel" the misfires since they only occur at WOT and a high engine torque load.

Once you find a way to restrict the exhaust flow in a permanent way, then replace all of the plugs and COPs as the old ones will be suspect.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:16 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
Find a way to partially block, temporarily restrict the exhaust flow, and see if that abates the CEL codes. You never "feel" the misfires since they only occur at WOT and a high engine torque load.

Once you find a way to restrict the exhaust flow in a permanent way, then replace all of the plugs and COPs as the old ones will be suspect.
Like this?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:42 PM
wwest
Drifting

No, I said PARTIALLY!

Quick Reply: If this is the case then I can save some money..please read and tell me your thoughts