Sponsored by:

Center Console Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary,

If you do the leather wrap, make sure it is done by someone who has done this before (and can show you pictures of their work). Covering these consoles so they look right is not an easy job. The guy I just bought my '06 C4S from had a spare console sitting around that he attempted to have covered in leather. Needless to say the end result was a complete abortion. The leather was grainy, the ash tray lid wouldn't shut right, and there were all sorts of wrinkles. He told me he wasted $700 on the job.

Sean
Old 04-04-2014, 11:29 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

you always get what you pay for!

Tom
Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 PM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry for the hijack, but not worth starting a new thread... Does anyone know if the plastic trim piece I have drawn the red line on comes out without removing the door panel? I have painted this piece without removing it, and used $20 of masking tape. It looks great but the color ain't quite right. I want to do it again if I can remove the piece. (Photo blatantly stolen from Petza914)
Attached Images  
Old 04-04-2014, 11:49 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrono
Sorry for the hijack, but not worth starting a new thread... Does anyone know if the plastic trim piece I have drawing the red line on come out without removing the door panel? I have painted this piece without removing it, and used $20 of masking tape. It looks great but the color ain't quite right. I want to do it again if I can remove the piece. (Photo blatantly stolen from Petza914)
I believe along with some tabs it is glued in. I was going to replace mine with some carbon fiber ones from db carbon but I wasnt able to get my oem ones out with the door panel in place. Even if the door panel was removed I'm not sure how to get them out. Part of it slides into a space between the inside of the pocket and outside of the pocket.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:14 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
I believe along with some tabs it is glued in. I was going to replace mine with some carbon fiber ones from db carbon but I wasnt able to get my oem ones out with the door panel in place. Even if the door panel was removed I'm not sure how to get them out. Part of it slides into a space between the inside of the pocket and outside of the pocket.
Thanks. Exactly my experience. Shame, it'd be a breeze to paint them if they came out. I'm happy with the SEM Color Coat look and feel on these pieces by the way - if you can find a color that matches. I can't, for my Stone Gray, and SEM even admitted they don't have anything.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:00 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

While I appreciate how Porsche made these door panels really solid It also sucks in how they made things unremoveable without destroying the part.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Chrono -- Did you try World Upholstery in California? They make great leather and vinyl dyes in spray cans and I have used them before with terrific results (I used their product on sun-faded leather). The good thing is they have all the current Porsche colors. Since you are having color-match issues, it might be worth asking them if their dyes would work on that plastic piece.

Sean
Old 04-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sniff
Chrono -- Did you try World Upholstery in California?
Great lead Sean! I'll check it out.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 PM
TIMBERHOLLOW9310
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Web site does indicate they service 997 models.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Sniff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TIMBERHOLLOW9310
Web site does indicate they service 997 models.
Are you referring to World Upholstery? All you have to tell them is you have a 20XX Porsche 911 with, in this case, Stone Grey leather interior. They will know what that is. In fact they will send you a swatch of leather treated with the dye you are interested in free of charge . . . all you have to do is ask.

Sean

Quick Reply: Center Console Paint Job