3M Film Protection

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 PM
bpossel
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 3M Film Protection

Hi All,

What is the current thinking on having clear protection film installed on the hood and front fenders?

What brand, 3M, other?

Also, is it better to just accept the small rock chips or to install the film?

Is resale better with the film?

I own an '05 911 and recently had the front repainted due to small rock, paint chips. The car now looks perfect and need to decide which direction to take.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Bob
Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 193 Posts

you will get opinions all over the board here...I love my Xpel ultimate film. Have it on full hood, fenders, mirrors, and rear impact areas.

I believe that resale is "enhanced" if your car has zero scratches or chips. It shows the amount of care you took with the car. Jmho.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 PM
bpossel
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
you will get opinions all over the board here...I love my Xpel ultimate film. Have it on full hood, fenders, mirrors, and rear impact areas.

I believe that resale is "enhanced" if your car has zero scratches or chips. It shows the amount of care you took with the car. Jmho.
Thanks! I heard that Xpel was a great product! Self healing….
Are you happy? I was also told to wait about 4 weeks for the paint to cure before proceeding? Is this correct?
Thanks! Bob
Old 03-26-2014, 09:06 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

I have Xpel full fenders, full hood, headlights and daytime running lights and mirrors. Wish I had the windshield done too but not sure which brand is best for that.

First time film cover for me on any vehicle. Had it done by a pro. good money spent. I really like it.

This is an "us" car for my wife and I to enjoy for weekend trips and vacations. So we like the car to look nice and the film is a big part of that. I hate rock chips.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:09 PM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Domer911

While I agree that a pristine car will have some additional value, I highly doubt it will be anywhere close to what you pay for a quality install of Xpel or any other premium film.

I'm pro clear film, but at least around here, putting clear bra on the front bumper costs all most as much as respraying it.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 PM
TIMBERHOLLOW9310
Advanced

Don't forget the windshield (if not too late). This is a DIY with a friend to help about 30 min.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:48 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by TIMBERHOLLOW9310
Don't forget the windshield (if not too late). This is a DIY with a friend to help about 30 min.
Have any thoughts on a better/best windshield film? Important qualities: Optically neutral, easy to install, easy to peal....
Old 03-26-2014, 10:17 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 113 Posts

+1 Xpel ultimate film
Old 03-26-2014, 10:22 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DareMightyThings
While I agree that a pristine car will have some additional value, I highly doubt it will be anywhere close to what you pay for a quality install of Xpel or any other premium film.

I'm pro clear film, but at least around here, putting clear bra on the front bumper costs all most as much as respraying it.
My car has clear bras, as have many other cars that I've owned. IMO, it shows that the car has been well cared for if the owner invested in keeping the car in pristime condition.

Just ask yourself, given two identical cars, which car would you have more confidence in buying - the car with clear bras or the car without and has stone chips?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by bpossel
Thanks! I heard that Xpel was a great product! Self healing….
Are you happy? I was also told to wait about 4 weeks for the paint to cure before proceeding? Is this correct?
Thanks! Bob
that's what I have been told. Not just 30-60 days before film but also that same amount of time before wax.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:59 PM
TIMBERHOLLOW9310
Advanced

Originally Posted by CAVU
Have any thoughts on a better/best windshield film? Important qualities: Optically neutral, easy to install, easy to peal....
I can recommend Clearplex cut to our cars. http://www.clearplex.com/
Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 779 Posts

I have Venture Shield Ultra on full front incl headlights and side mirrors. I went with this as it looked great to me on other cars and had been in the market longer than Xpel.

It's worth it to me in order to avoid chips etc that I wouldn't be happy looking at on this car. I also had a 2012 Acura TL, was on the hwy few days after getting it, a rock hit the hood near the top and chipped the paint to the metal. Had to repaint whole hood and it wasn't a 100% match under certain lighting, $800. So that's another reason I did it and the full front.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

I track my car and have really put some clear bra's to the test.

1- clear bra is the best thing I've done for maintaining the look of the car.

2- I had 3m film on the front for a year or so and it did a great job protecting. When I took the 3M off to replace because it was getting torn up and pitted looking the paint finish under it was showroom new.

3- Xpel on my hood was showing less wear and always looked better like you couldn't even tell it was on the hood.

4- I replaced the bumper 3M with Xpel and for the last year have been very very happy with it. The Xpel does look like clear bra is on the car...I have an awesome pro installer too...and the Xpel doesn't show wear like the 3m film does.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:22 AM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Originally Posted by beden1

My car has clear bras, as have many other cars that I've owned. IMO, it shows that the car has been well cared for if the owner invested in keeping the car in pristime condition.

Just ask yourself, given two identical cars, which car would you have more confidence in buying - the car with clear bras or the car without and has stone chips?
This is undoubtly true, and as I said, I'm pro clear bra (and will be clear bra'ing my own car). Lots of great reasons on this thread already.

But, like many other mods, you're likely to only get a fraction of the original cost back at resale.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:44 PM
richard181
Instructor

+1 Xpel

Quick Reply: 3M Film Protection