Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 2.1 Navigation Drive retro upgrade nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014 | 02:10 PM
jwdva
1st Gear

Angry PCM 2.1 Navigation Drive retro upgrade nightmare.

I am new to the forums. The reason… I just purchased a forest green/tan 06 Carrera S Cab and I am loving it. It came with the PCM 2.1 Bose System and display but it wasn't fitted with the factory Nav drive. I purchased an OEM Navigation player figuring I would do a retro upgrade. At first it looked easy. I familiarized myself with the fiber optic connections necessary and located the various components. The directions call for adding the Nav drive in line with the Amp or CD Changer if you have one(I only have amp.). The retro kit came with the necessary fiber to hook it up and at first it looked easy. Then I realized that there wasn't enough fiber to reach the amp. Only enough to reach the "LWL" connector which is where the other end of the amp connector is attached.
THE PROBLEM: For some reason they located the "LWL" fiber hub directly behind the brake booster. Not only that, but it is attached to the fire wall behind the booster. My fingers just don't work that well. Do I really have to remove the brake booster just to hook up some fiber? Any help would be appreciated? and yes, I am aware that $99 Garmin unit would probably work better but I like stock. :-)
Old 03-18-2014 | 06:29 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Can't help solve your problem but a number of people on here have PCM / NAV DIYs. Do a search & read, it might have a solution to your problem if you're lucky. If not...post until you reach the minimum number of posts so you can PM and then reach out to the DIY guys to get their opinion.

Hope you find a solution, would be nice to see pics of that forest green beauty too

And welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: PCM 2.1 Navigation Drive retro upgrade nightmare.