Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does it really matter which bleeder valve is opened first in flushing, outer or inner

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:46 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts
Default does it really matter which bleeder valve is opened first in flushing, outer or inner

does it really matter if the inner bleed valve or the outer bleed valve is opened first when flushing the fluid in the brake system. from the copy of the manual i have it does not specifically say which one shouyld be done first. i just did my brakes starting with the outer then the inner valve and all seem good. comments
Old 03-08-2014, 06:44 AM
iii911ooo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have always done the outer first as well with good results.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Why didn't add this question to your Brake Fluid Change thread instead of starting a new thread?
Old 03-08-2014, 08:15 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Always start with the caliper and bleeder valve farthest away from the master cylinder and work your way to the master cylinder. So yes start with the outer bleed fitting on each caliper.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:47 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Hi tim because i think its a separate topic for everybody to respond to. The other brake flush topic i posted is a sharing of what i did to my car. You think its the same brother?
Old 03-08-2014, 09:55 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

To mike, yes i agree with you that we should all start with the wheel that is farthest from the master cylinder. I did get good results with the outer bleed valve first. I read somewhere, it think pedros garage, not sure , but some recommend starting with the inner valve really dont know if it will make a diff. You think it will?
Old 03-08-2014, 10:02 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Im getting feedback from another forum suggesting there could be advantages starting with the inner bleed valve... A procedure yet to be confirmed true and effective.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:58 AM
PrimeMvr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my reasoning for inner first, YMMV. Why push the air bubbles any further than you have to. Since any that are past the inner bleeder are already there, why not get the ones before it out instead of pushing more air through the caliper passages? I do inner, outer, inner, done. I don't recall ever having any bubbles on the second inner, but it makes me feel better to be sure. Honestly, my gut tells me it doesn't matter, but I've always had good results with this on my 930 with 993TT brakes, so I'm stickin' with it.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:24 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
does it really matter if the inner bleed valve or the outer bleed valve is opened first when flushing the fluid in the brake system. from the copy of the manual i have it does not specifically say which one shouyld be done first. i just did my brakes starting with the outer then the inner valve and all seem good. comments
Congrats and welcome to the club! It really is amazingly easy. The 997 is quite an easy DIY for routine maintenance.

Originally Posted by slicky rick
To mike, yes i agree with you that we should all start with the wheel that is farthest from the master cylinder. I did get good results with the outer bleed valve first. I read somewhere, it think pedros garage, not sure , but some recommend starting with the inner valve really dont know if it will make a diff. You think it will?
Porsche Workshop manual specifes the order of wheels and outer first, then inner.
1. Step: Bleeding (primary circuit)
Note
· Always bleed both bleeder valves on brake caliper!
· Bleed the outer bleeder valve first!

... continued ...

Bleeding brakes
3. Connect a bleeding device to the brake fluid reservoir. Switch on the bleeding device. Bleeding
pressure is approx. 2.0 bar.
4. Continue the bleeding procedure at the brake calipers. Do so in the following sequence: rear right/rear
left/front right/front left. Bleed the outer bleeder valve first.

I always return to LF outer as a final step (not specified in workshop manual ... just from experience) to adjust pedal firmness and confirm no air bubbles.

Quick Reply: does it really matter which bleeder valve is opened first in flushing, outer or inner