Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd noise during 1-2 shift under load -- engine mount?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014 | 06:15 PM
stiles_s
Burning Brakes

Default Odd noise during 1-2 shift under load -- engine mount?

Hey folks,
I have a '10 C2S with 12k miles on it.
Bought it just barely used from the dealer. It was a demo car with ~500 miles on it.

It makes a noise that I'll try to describe. Hoping someone else has run into this:
- moderate throttle in first gear
- shift to second gear and apply a decent amount of throttle while releasing clutch pedal (nothing near speed shifting or abuse; just trying to make swift progress). I think the key element here is that you're applying a reasonable amount of "torque" to the system.

There's an odd noise *during* the clutch engagement (muffled vibration) along with a bit of additional vibration transmitted to the cabin. It's fleeting, but clearly not "normal".

The only real theory I've come up with is perhaps the motor mounts are "bottoming out" due to weakness/failure.

- any ideas?
- what are the symptoms of a motor mount going south?

I should probably have a tech @ the dealer do a ride-along, but thought I'd ask here first to see if I struck gold.

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2014 | 06:25 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Was the car certified by Porsche before you bought it or was it purchased as is? Under warranty I assume.
Old 02-27-2014 | 06:27 PM
stiles_s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Was the car certified by Porsche before you bought it or was it purchased as is? Under warranty I assume.
Yep, CPO. Is this where you tell me to get off my butt and have the dealer look at it?

Quick Reply: Odd noise during 1-2 shift under load -- engine mount?