Sponsored by:

CEL - o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:18 PM
blue steel
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CEL - o2 sensor

brand new member, first post, and just got my first porsche. 2009 c2s with 58k miles, aqua blue metallic on black. SPASM, sports chrono, 6 spd. i have been trolling rennlist for a couple years while shopping for the right vehicle.

the seller was great to work with, he was 2nd owner. He had the 60k service done just before selling it to me and I have that report - everything looks good.

problem: CEL is on, code reads that the o2 sensor needs to be replaced.

vehicle was transported from virginia to texas 2 weeks ago during the snow storm. It was on the top level of vehicle transport truck in the last/back spot. It was the last car to be delivered, so it had to be started and pulled off the truck several times before it got to me (mileage matched what seller sent me when it got shipped, so trucker didn't take it on a joyride, and i checked underbody to make sure it didn't scrape during one of its loadings/unloadings). when i got the car i filled a tank of gas and took it home (total distance ~0.5mi). when starting ignition at gas station, CEL came on. from other rennlist discussions, i thought the CEL was a misfire due to the frequent starts/idle/stops during transport. When i took the car for inspection to get it registered in texas, the code is reading bad oxygen sensor (i don't have the specific code #). i did find a rennlist discussion about 2009 MY having heat shield defects so o2 sensors would get replaced under warranty. my car is not under warranty.

My question: does this sound like a failure caused by bad heat shields? Any thoughts on the cause of the o2 sensors failing while in transport? I'm taking it to local dealership this week but would love your opinions.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:36 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Any aftermarket MODs on the car now or prior to sale? specifically to the exhaust system?
Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 PM
blue steel
Track Day

no MODs. a couple years ago the previous owner noticed some hairline cracks on exhaust due to factory overtightening (something he learned on rennlist) so dealer replaced exhaust under warranty. Everything is stock OEM
Old 02-25-2014, 04:43 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Check your gas cap. Loose gas cap causes a vacuum leak, which causes a lean fuel mixture throws off readings at the O2 sensors, which gives this error.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:48 PM
blue steel
Track Day

that was my first thought, too. gas cap is on properly. tomorrow morning i will be filling up a fresh full tank...do you think its possible that moisture from the snow storms got in the gas tank during transport to cause the error? watered down fuel?
Old 02-25-2014, 04:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Your description is very succinct to be able to help you. An oxygen sensor code can be tripped due to several reasons I won't get into right now.
You need to post the actual code(s).
For example a specific O2 sensor code could be : heater circuit low voltage.

Post the actual code(s). Go to any auto parts store and have them give you a printout with the code(s),if you don't have a scanner. It's a free service.

If you won't be able to do the above ^^^ at least use some fuel system cleaner like Techron and run a full tank. It might help since I'm suspecting it could be related to the lack of usage...

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:18 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 340 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Check your gas cap. Loose gas cap causes a vacuum leak, which causes a lean fuel mixture throws off readings at the O2 sensors, which gives this error.
BTW,a loose gas cap causes an Evap system leak,which will set a totally different code,like P0455(gross Evap system leak). The PCM is very smart,it can identify a gross leak from a small leak.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:50 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by neanicu
Your description is very succinct to be able to help you. An oxygen sensor code can be tripped due to several reasons I won't get into right now.
You need to post the actual code(s).
For example a specific O2 sensor code could be : heater circuit low voltage.

Post the actual code(s). Go to any auto parts store and have them give you a printout with the code(s),if you don't have a scanner. It's a free service.

If you won't be able to do the above ^^^ at least use some fuel system cleaner like Techron and run a full tank. It might help since I'm suspecting it could be related to the lack of usage...

Good luck!
FYI... Here's a list of codes posted by JKW911: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-to-p3493.html
Old 02-28-2014, 03:20 PM
blue steel
Track Day

thanks for all the assistance. the part still has not arrived to the independing porsche mechanic, and that's actually a good thing. just found out emissions warranty is 8/80k, so it is covered by porsche and the dealer is going to fix it.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:27 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
BTW,a loose gas cap causes an Evap system leak,which will set a totally different code,like P0455(gross Evap system leak). The PCM is very smart,it can identify a gross leak from a small leak.
this is true. i have never seen a gas cap vacuum leak trigger an 02 sensor code
Old 03-11-2014, 01:35 PM
blue steel
Track Day

update: took car to dealer who came back with an intimidating list of error codes (misfires, o2 sensor, and others) that made him think it was a semi-serious issue. i left the car with them while on a business trip, they replaced the o2 sensor and all was right with the world. except for my wallet, of course. porsche fee $500; independent fee was quoted at $225. such is life.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

While I haven’t needed to replace my O2 sensor on the 911 yet, I do know that replacing O2 sensors is typically very easy to do on other vehicles. One electrical connector to disconnect and one wrench to screw in and out is all that's needed. I'd be surprised if there is not already a DIY out there somewhere although if you are still under warranty then I guess there is no need to get dirty.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:10 PM
blue steel
Track Day

forgot to comment on that. prior to taking the car in, dealer said O2 sensor would be covered under emissions warranty. When they made the diagnosis, they said its not covered b/c that warranty only covers the catalytic converter & exhaust hardware. i just got the car back yesterday and have not had a chance to dig into the warranty specifics to see if i can fight those charges. Do any of you have insight on that aspect?

edit: http://files1.porsche.com/filestore....c-2ae7d79e3371
Oxygen sensors are on the 2/24 Federal Emissions Parts List; the 8/80 coverage is only for catalytic conv, ECU, and OBD system. So the dealer was correct in the end...just wish I had the correct info on the front end.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:34 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Devil Boy
While I haven’t needed to replace my O2 sensor on the 911 yet, I do know that replacing O2 sensors is typically very easy to do on other vehicles. One electrical connector to disconnect and one wrench to screw in and out is all that's needed. I'd be surprised if there is not already a DIY out there somewhere although if you are still under warranty then I guess there is no need to get dirty.
It's fairly easy... My boys and I removed all the sensors from my OEM exhaust system when we installed the FVD exhaust system. Disconnect the O2 wire from the sealed connector location near the rear brake lights. Just use an O2 socket to remove the sensor... soak with Kroil the night prior to loosen up the sensor. Sensors are available from Pelican: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...606-177-01-M14

Quick Reply: CEL - o2 sensor