Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a PPI if the car just went through CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 12:12 AM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Thanks... And yes that was unusual but I wanted to see this one through in spite of the p-dealer obstacles. They even asked that I pay them $300 to use their bay... I OK'd $150 on condition of a clean PPI. I suspect they really did not wanted to sell me the car and/or did not want a PPI performed due to hidden mechanical issues. There was a bit of noise as well about a $10K typo error for the asking price on their website (the official Porsche CPO site). But I already had printouts/hard copies and email exchanges with their sales rep re the prior posted price. Perhaps the other buyer was a last minute attempt at recovering some $$ on their part. They positioned that with the "website price error" they were underwater by a few thousands on the PO's trade in and that I was lucky to get the car... blah, blah, blah. That seemed plausible back then, 3 yrs ago, based on the prices I was seeing over the months of searching the nation and multiple offers falling through. In fact, my backup car on that trip was in NorCal - an '06 C2S with aero kit, stories(replacement engine), PO was a boy racer, trade-in with similar options otherwise... Sonnet wanted $3K more and would not budge on price even though I had told them about the "clean" '08 C2S with more warranty time (1.5 yrs original warranty left plus 2 yrs of CPO) that I intended to pick up in SoCal... I don't think they believed me as the website price went up $10 overnight for my '08 C2S in SoCal. But when it sounds too good to be true I double down on caution. In the end the PPI was clean enough as the mech only identified serviceable items and the p-dealer replaced both the RMS and the one broken tailpipe prior to delivery. And just to be doubly sure I had my local p-dealer tech, a friend, re-inspect the car here in Austin... flying colors.

I pinch myself every time I drive the car but it was the insight of those on RL that helped me through the process correctly. Of course the best advice was simply to get a PPI and DME report... even if it sounds perfect(the car and the deal) with the p-dealer pressuring you to buy now and the fear that your other half might pull the plug any second on your current obsession. GL to those on the hunt. I envy you... that is until I crank up the engine and hit the road. Post some pics to make it official when you get the "one".
Honestly, I would have walked early on with this dealership. Just think what would have been the scenario if the cars buyer hadn't been quite so savvy: 1st oil change, "we just found that you have a problem w your exhaust." Cha-ching. Also, "there is a problem with your RMS." Cha-ching.

After 30 years of buying cars, I hold them by the head, like a snake. It's a learned behavior. If it sounds even a little like B.S., walk out the door. The money they want, is in your pocket. Power and control. That's all it is. From the first word out of your mouth.

Good for you, Marine.

Quick Reply: Do I need a PPI if the car just went through CPO?