Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Tirerack the final tire authority?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:50 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts
Default Is Tirerack the final tire authority?

I think it has become a given that most people order from these guys. Has anyone shopped around and gotten better rates from a local store? I remember last time I was going to have rears shipped from Tirerack to the local installer. I called the tire store first and the guy said they would match the online price and just order them for me. The other thing is availability. I have been waiting for Michelin PSS 305s to come available, and the date keeps getting pushed further out (3/28 now). Is there a run on monster width tires now that the world economy is better?
Jim
Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Try Discount Tire Direct, cheaper than Tirerack.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:03 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go to online tires very good price compared to tire rack
Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Tire Rack is the place in my opinion; they are the Amazon of tires. If you have a better resource, I would love to know about it, and I have been buying from TR for 20 years. Firestone will match their prices because, at least where I live, they buy from the the TR distribution center. Discount Tire is out there for bricks and mortar tire stores, but in my opinion, Tire Rack is definitive in consumer information and reviews about what is best for your car and driving style, selection and price, and in closeouts with great pricing. Tire Rack FTW! sc
Old 02-23-2014, 11:32 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sclemmons
Tire Rack is the place in my opinion; they are the Amazon of tires. If you have a better resource, I would love to know about it, and I have been buying from TR for 20 years. Firestone will match their prices because, at least where I live, they buy from the the TR distribution center. Discount Tire is out there for bricks and mortar tire stores, but in my opinion, Tire Rack is definitive in consumer information and reviews about what is best for your car and driving style, selection and price, and in closeouts with great pricing. Tire Rack FTW! sc
Your right I've brought plenty of times from tire rack don't get me wrong it's good prices as well but your saying it's the amazon of tires amazon ain't what it use to be just like eBay

There are plenty of tires that they carry and plenty that they don't all you have to do is your research and search around

Try all 3 that have been mentioned

Tire rack , discount tires and Online tires

Just search don't stick to just one site there's plenty out there
Old 02-24-2014, 12:12 AM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Donaldx3
Your right I've brought plenty of times from tire rack don't get me wrong it's good prices as well but your saying it's the amazon of tires amazon ain't what it use to be just like eBay

There are plenty of tires that they carry and plenty that they don't all you have to do is your research and search around

Try all 3 that have been mentioned

Tire rack , discount tires and Online tires

Just search don't stick to just one site there's plenty out there
I agree!!! Try all 3

Also agree Amazon is not close to what is used to be, prices have been going up for years while service has gone down.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:19 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Great suggestions. I'll keep looking...
J
Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I've been buying tires pretty much exclusively from TireRack for 5 years now and having them mounted (loose) at Wal-Mart, which is conveniently close to me and has cheap mount/balance service. I hesitate to mention this, but Wal-Mart has increased their special order inventory, and in many cases can undercut TireRack's price with shipping & installation considered.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:05 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

My Porsche dealer will match or beat Tirerack price. I have nothing against Tirerack, but don't see a need to order from them if my dealer will match the price.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my local discount tire matches TR
Old 02-24-2014, 12:41 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
My Porsche dealer will match or beat Tirerack price. I have nothing against Tirerack, but don't see a need to order from them if my dealer will match the price.
Originally Posted by kosmo
my local discount tire matches TR
I have absolutely nothing against supporting local businesses when there is a value add in the relationship (e.g. for tires that would be exceptional service, ponying up to have tires mounted or an alignment, brake flush, etc.). But here in the Golden State, which already sticks it to some people with a >10% state income tax, having a local entity match Tire Rack's price doesn't quite cover the extra ~$130 one would have to pay in sales tax (assuming a set of tires are ~$1,500). So, it certainly seems reasonable, at least in CA, to go the drop ship route (and tire places here, in my experience seem not to hold this against you - we all understand that if CA could tax the air we breath they would - Hmm, come to think of it, they just may do this already hidden under some DMV fee). Having said this, of course I always self-report all my non-taxed out-of-state purchases to the Franchise Tax Board .
Old 02-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Be careful the IRS is monitoring this forum
Old 02-24-2014, 06:09 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Havel a Tire Rack warehouse here in town so I go out and pick mine up and save shipping. Every time I'm out there I see trucks from Discount Tire, etc. out there picking tires up. Others may be matching Tire Rack prices but I suspect they are also getting them at Tire Rack.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999

I have absolutely nothing against supporting local businesses when there is a value add in the relationship (e.g. for tires that would be exceptional service, ponying up to have tires mounted or an alignment, brake flush, etc.). But here in the Golden State, which already sticks it to some people with a >10% state income tax, having a local entity match Tire Rack's price doesn't quite cover the extra ~$130 one would have to pay in sales tax (assuming a set of tires are ~$1,500). So, it certainly seems reasonable, at least in CA, to go the drop ship route (and tire places here, in my experience seem not to hold this against you - we all understand that if CA could tax the air we breath they would - Hmm, come to think of it, they just may do this already hidden under some DMV fee). Having said this, of course I always self-report all my non-taxed out-of-state purchases to the Franchise Tax Board .
Of course. Drive out cost is what matters.
My dealer also matches TR prices but i feel like $40 mounting/balance is too high compared to DD's $17 LIFETIME.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:59 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I ordered one tire online from Tirerack to replace a tire on my old Cayenne. They actually called me to warn me it might not be the exact tire model I needed. They were right and made the correction. Love Tire Rack.

Quick Reply: Is Tirerack the final tire authority?