Delayed Throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:34 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Delayed Throttle response

It seems like lately my throttle response is a bit slower than normal. I can press the gas pedal maybe a 1/4 to a 1/3 of an inch before I even get 100 RPM difference. I notice it on the way to work when I downshift from 4th to 3rd and later into second around the same corner I have been taking for 8 years. I rock the ball of my foot to do a little blip on the downshift and I have noticed that there is a difference on the throttle take up.
Any ideas?
Caesar
Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 AM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe a bad pedal sensor with the drive by wire system .
Old 02-20-2014, 10:34 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
It seems like lately my throttle response is a bit slower than normal. I can press the gas pedal maybe a 1/4 to a 1/3 of an inch before I even get 100 RPM difference. I notice it on the way to work when I downshift from 4th to 3rd and later into second around the same corner I have been taking for 8 years. I rock the ball of my foot to do a little blip on the downshift and I have noticed that there is a difference on the throttle take up.
Any ideas?
Caesar
Try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes to reset the throttle mapping. This smoothed out my car at very low (1/16th) throttle.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 47 Posts

Will I lose stereo settings and the like? No big deal but I can get a tool at the office that stores that info

Thanks
Caesar
Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrono
Try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes to reset the throttle mapping. This smoothed out my car at very low (1/16th) throttle.
and also, after reconnecting battery, turn key to acc/ignition on (or whatever it's called) but dont actually start it. just let the electronics sit there in the on position for about 30 secs then turn off. this should complete the "reset".

and no, you shdnt lose anything. only minor issue you may have is a PSM/PASM warning light which should clear itself within minutes during the first drive afterward.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

The next time you start the car move the ignition key to "on" but do not start the engine. Then, floor the accelerator pedal several times. Finally, release the pedal and start the car normally. For many drive-by-wire cars that learn your driving style, this procedure will re-set the system.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:50 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Its called throttle adaptation
Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Throttle wearing out? The throttle response of my '02 Boxster compared to my '03 Turbo is considerable. While the Turbo throttle is very responsive the Boxster throttle is not. The Boxster throttle doesn't seem to have lost any range. Full throttle still gets the engine to redline without any issue but I notice it takes more foot movement when I want to rev match when downshifting in the Boxster. I have only to think about touching the throttle in the Turbo and the revs increase. The Boxster I have to pay more attention in order to get the revs I want.

You can try recalibrating the E-Gas system. I don't think it will help but I hope I'm wrong. How to do this should be covered in the car's owner manual. For my cars with the key off turn it to the on position. Do not start the engine. Do not touch the gas pedal during the key on/key off phases. Leave the key on for 60 seconds. Turn the key off for IIRC 10 seconds. Then start the engine normally. Done.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:40 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

An extremely dirty MAF sensor can also add up to a similar feel.

Quick Reply: Delayed Throttle response