Sponsored by:

Center muffler delete

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:24 PM
JB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center muffler delete

I just acquired a 2012 Carrera 4 GTS(received last weekend)
I would like the collectives opinion on either Sharkwerk's or Fabspeed's center muffler delete solutions.
Car has PSE standard(6 speed manual)
Clear side markers are on the car,Numeric racing SSK coming,Zunsport grills crossing the Atlantic currently(yes, I have the disease,and research every mod!)
Pictures will be forthcoming(just before I get the "worthless without pics reply!)
Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 01:31 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Worthless without pics!

Congratulations!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:19 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I just can't do this for you so . . . Go to the Search Tab, Go to Advanced Search (keywords) , Type in Sharkwerks Fabspeed X-pipe, parse through the threads.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:52 PM
JB993
Instructor

Thumbs down

Have been on the forums for some time...just asking for an opinion.
I have done the search(multiple times before)
Sarcasm not appreciated(as a form of whit)
Old 02-16-2014, 02:53 PM
JB993
Instructor

Previous post directed to Tcc1999
Old 02-16-2014, 02:54 PM
JB993
Instructor

997_Toronto,
Thanks,will post some soon!
Old 02-16-2014, 03:17 PM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Below is a comparison of Sharkwerks and Fabspeed cross-over pipes compliments of Riley:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=90274

I have not modified my 997.2S exhaust as yet, so I have no first hand experience with this mod.

X pipe on 997.2:

Sharkwerks has a deeper sound, like the car is almost a v8 or so.... by itself the sound is very tame, but adding the gundo hack makes it sound like a muscle car... very sexy but not drone/loud.

Fabspeed has a more tuner sound, (think ferrari), not as deep, more lively sound.. by itself it's again not very noticeable, but with the gundo hack you can hear it well..

Last edited by DGrayling; 02-16-2014 at 03:36 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-16-2014, 03:50 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2009 C2S which I bought in September 2012, the stock engine is rated at 385 HP. Last spring I had an indy shop install a Sharkwerks center muffler delete/bypass. The intent of my doing this did not translate into more HP, although Sharkwerks advertises 8-10 HP gain for the center muffler delete. Because my car doesn't have sport chrono plus, and therefore did not have the sport muffler option, I wanted a beefer sounding exhaust note and that is exactly what I got. In my opinion if you want a nice idle speed exhaust note, and an even better one at 4K rpm's, this should work well for you.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:17 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 359 Posts

I just had the unusual opportunity of buying both a used Fabspeed X-Pipe and a used AWE Tuning Crossover within days of each other. I went ahead and got both so I could give them a head-to-head comparison, figuring I'll turn around and sell the one I don't keep. I tried the Fabspeed for two weeks, then last weekend I switched to the AWE and will try it for a couple of weeks. Note that the AWE pipes are functionally pretty identical to the Sharkwerks.

Before getting into the sound of each, I'd have to say that the AWE pipes were a cleaner install. The exhaust flanges on the AWE pipes include the larger diameter bolt holes that match the collar around the bolt holes on the factory exhaust hanger, allowing the collar to slide in properly just like the factory exhaust and allowing the use all 6 of the factory flange bolts. I also prefer the more rigid way the AWEs connect to the center muffler support tabs..

I was surprised that the Fabspeed flange holes were not large enough to accommodate the mounting collars for the hanger. This results in the hanger collars resting on top of the flange instead of sliding into it. This would't be to big a deal except for the fact that the factory top bolt on the right side isn't long enough to handle the extra depth (collar depth + flange depth). I had to go buy a longer bolt. Note that I bought the Fabspeed used and it didn't come with all of the mounting hardware that Fabspeed provides, so I'd guess its likely the bolt is included when you buy it directly from Fabspeed. I've also observed that there is more than one implementation of the Fabspeed X-pipe for the 997.2 center bypass (this one ships in three pieces with a clamped slip joint on each side near the U, rather than the one piece currently seen on their website). I don't know if the other variations have this flange problem.

I switched to the AWE pipes several days ago and have done several drives under varying conditions. While there is not a huge difference in sound, the difference is more noticeable than I expected. From inside, the Fabspeed pipes seem to be throatier and louder at low RPM than the AWE pipes. The Fabspeed sound seems to settle down a bit more at higher RPMs where the sound of the AWE pipes stays more uniform across all RPMs. Overall I'd say the Fabspeeds present a lower pitch.

The AWE pipes seem a bit raspier and more "European" to me. I initially detected a little rougher idle with the AWE pipes, but this seems to be settling down. I'm assuming it took a few drives for the ECU to adapt to the change.

My son helped me with drive-by tests of both. Both are just right volume-wise for me, not loud but providing a definite sports-car sound that is uniquely Porsche. They'll get nearby listeners' attention without going so far as to alert the cops a block away to come looking for you. They are just what I was looking for... I would be happy with either. The Fabspeeds sounded great and I can see a lot of people selecting them, but for me the uniform sound behavior, the slightly raspier Euro sound, and the cleanness of the install have me leaning towards the AWE pipes.

I'm giving the test another week to allow the ECU to fully adapt, then I'll make a final decision. Keep an eye out for a sale of one or the other soon.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM
JB993
Instructor

StormRune,
Appreciate the feedback.
Have not considered the AWE units but they will now feature in the final choice as well.
Let me know how they turn out in the end.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 43 Posts

I posted my thoughts last Sun (9 Feb) of my recent Sharkwerks stage 2 tune. I did the bypass last fall as my previous 911 had PSE and I "missed" the raspier sound. I was very pleased w the SW exhaust, and my mechanic said it bolted up nicely. Sharky will admit that on some PDK cars (no rhyme or reason which), there is a harmonic vibration in idle, stopped w foot on the brake. I had that. So even though I was planning to do the ecu tune, it was pretty much necessary to remove that harmonic. So as soon as factory warranty expired (no cpo) I had it done. Wow, what an improvement! I can't say enough good things about my experience w the SW bypass and the ecu tune, best $ I have spent on an after market mod.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:59 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Your car (in the avatar) looks awesome!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:16 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

When I bought my GTS I replaced the center muffler with the Sharkwerks cross over unit. PERFECT sound.

I used this for a few months then took it off and the 2 side mufflers for a M&M (FVD) race system. Too loud for everyday but fun on the weekend and at the track and a good amount of weight loss.

I've been thinking hard about putting the stock mufflers with the Sharkwerks center by pass back on though...but the PSE mufflers just weight so dang much.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:16 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove my car the first 3.5 yrs with PSE. I added the fabspeed x pipe about 6 weeks ago. I can't describe the sound but there's a noticeable difference. I love it. Exactly what I was looking for. Throatier(deeper) especially at lower rpms. I'd say the biggest difference comes in at lower rpms. If it's a great sound you are looking for I highly recommend this set up.
And when I want it quiet the button still quiets it down just like before.

My local porsche dealer did the install
Old 02-16-2014, 11:35 PM
JB993
Instructor

Thanks again for all the feed back.
I think the SW is the one.
Once again the community here is a great reference to all things 911.

Quick Reply: Center muffler delete