Sponsored by:

LEDs Del Rey Customs - Rear Fog Light Error

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 04:05 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEDs Del Rey Customs - Rear Fog Light Error

I'm using regular fog lights on the Del Rey Customs rear LED's on my '06 997. They are too bright to use with the LED's so I want to not use them but I also don't want to get a rear fog light error.

The rear fog lights are the normal bulbs that come with the car but they are too bright when used on the Del Rey Customs rear LED Lights. I spoke to Shane (Saturn) there weeks ago and he mentioned adding black electrical tape to the bulbs - 1 contact and it should get rid of the rear fog light error.

I tried 1 contact, I tried both contacts and tried multiple combinations on both rear fog bulbs but could not get rid of the rear fog light error.

Is there a non functional or "dummy" light bulb that is made that would fool the computer into thinking that there is a complete circuit? If not is there a tinted or dark rear fog light bulb that is not as bright that I can buy from somewhere?

I know it kind of defeat's the purpose but don't really need rear fogs.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:11 PM
my first 911
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I never turn on my rear fog light, am I missing something?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:16 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look to be the same as the Spyder tail lights. There is only one rear fog, on the drivers side, those bulbs are also running lights and brake lights. I would have thought removing the bulbs or taping off terminals would throw error messages for those too. Just find some low wattage replacements.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:03 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Originally Posted by my first 911
I never turn on my rear fog light, am I missing something?
Haha I thought about that too after I posted this thinking maybe I just forgot to not turn them on but no, even if you have them off...they are still on.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:06 PM
atx.911
Instructor

Originally Posted by PhilD
They look to be the same as the Spyder tail lights. There is only one rear fog, on the drivers side, those bulbs are also running lights and brake lights. I would have thought removing the bulbs or taping off terminals would throw error messages for those too. Just find some low wattage replacements.
What did you do to keep from getting the error? Do you have the fog bulbs plugged in on both sides? What is the lowest watt we can use?
Old 01-10-2014, 07:43 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by atx.911
What did you do to keep from getting the error? Do you have the fog bulbs plugged in on both sides? What is the lowest watt we can use?
I just use the bulbs supplied, they come on with the lights and are also used as brake lights. They don't bother me at all. I'm not sure how low you can go with the wattage before they trigger errors, I'd try a few and find what works. If you have the red tinted lens over the bulbs (these lights are available with clear or red over that bulb), you could try running a red bulb also, that may reduce the amount of light given out. There is most probably a way of using a resistor to totally remove those lights, but you will likely need a big heat sink on it and it seems like a lot of trouble for what you get.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 PM
PhilD
Pro

Originally Posted by atx.911
Haha I thought about that too after I posted this thinking maybe I just forgot to not turn them on but no, even if you have them off...they are still on.
Yes, that is because they are used as tail lights and brake lights along with the LEDs. When you have the rear fog light on, the driver side bulb glows at the brighter setting.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:22 PM
atx.911
Instructor

I spoke to Saturn from Del Rey Customs yesterday and he walked me through how to get rid of the Check Rear Fog Light error. I had both P21/4W bulbs installed on both sides of the car for the rear fogs. I removed the bulb on the right because it is not needed.

There are 3 wires attaching to the socket. The light bulb has two oval shaped contacts on the bottom.

You need to apply electrical tape to one of the oval contacts on the bulb itself but not both.

Now the tricky part. You need to apply the small piece of electrical tape to the side of the light bulb the ends up closest to the contact that attaches to the grey and white wire. I couldn't see exactly which contact it was exactly so Saturn said to make your best guess or get as close to it as possible. I tried that and started the car and immediately the error went away.

When I tried it before I kept switching the electrical tape on the bulb but failing to cover up the side that was closest to the grey and white wire.

I had everything else lined up and installed correctly (brake, reverse and signal connectors) and this was the only part I didn't do right.

If anyone ever runs into this problem, this is how you would resolve the error.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:15 PM
DELREYCUSTOMS
Former Vendor

A little helper video
Old 01-22-2014, 04:37 PM
DELREYCUSTOMS
Former Vendor

Old 01-22-2014, 09:34 PM
Carrera997re
Instructor