First time to really rock it!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:46 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time to really rock it!

Well, kind of.

Keep in mind this is my first sports car and my other vehicles have been a dodge 2500 cummins and a Jeep wrangler with the inline 6 in it.

I've had the car for about two weeks now and the times I've driven it spiritedly, I've only gone to about 5 1/2 to 6 grand but today I went to the redline to just see how it felt.

MAN, I'm glad there is a rev limiter on this thing cause I could have kept on going cause the engine didn't even act like 7grand was a problem!

I'm amazed at this car with only a 6 cylinder in it. I've ridden in a Cobra SVT mustang once and that thing was quick, but I have to say this car is almost as quick as the SVT with a chip and an aftermarket blower pulley on it.

I do have a question though, kind of stupid.

Are these engines that strong? I mean, I couldn't tell at all I was going to redline or close without me looking at the tach. My other vehicles I could tell when it was getting close because it was running out of "steam".

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Old 01-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsches have been engineered to take quite a lot.

What car do you have? Do you know what your redline is?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running up to redline.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:55 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike...welcome to the club and I did the same thing myself after about 6 months of ownership last year. When I posted my comments I was first met by a resounding "he finally popped is cherry"!!! Although I haven't redlined it since I have been reassured by numerous sources including the dealership techs, my indy tech, and many P car owners that they can run like this all day and not skip a beat. These engines do appear to be that strong. I am personally interested in engine longevity for the 997.2 models. I'd like to think that I could drive the car and keep it for many years to come without worrying about a catastrophic failure of some type. So far so good.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Strong enough. Relax.

Use a good approved oil, change it at reasonable intervals, avoiding hammering on the engine/car when it is cold. Wait for it to come up fully to temp. How long to wait? Well, wait until the coolant temp gage needle reaches the "180" hash mark then drive 10 more minutes. These engines take a lot of running from cold before they are fully warmed up. Lots of coolant. Lots of oil. Lots of metal mass. (Courtesy of that flat layout.)

Remember too the tires are high performance -- assuming the car has N-rated tires fitted -- and may not grip very well in colder temperatures so take it easy on the freeway on/off ramps and such. Give yourself plenty of braking room.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:19 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffrec
Mike...welcome to the club and I did the same thing myself after about 6 months of ownership last year.
6 months?!?!?!? More like 6 days for me! I hit rev limit the first time completely by accident - it got there faster than I expected. After that, I've only hit it a couple of times being careless. Once you learn the feel of the engine, you can tell when it's time to shift.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:23 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

911 owners of every generation since the beginning have had the same experience, these cars just keep pulling; torque and power feels like a bottomless pit. Keep the engine happy and it will keep you happy.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:11 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Porsches have been engineered to take quite a lot.

What car do you have? Do you know what your redline is?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running up to redline.
It's a 997.1 C2 non S.

The redline on the tach is about 7100, at least there a bouts.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:11 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is crazy how quick it gets there in 1st gear. I almost wish 1st was a little taller. I find if I have it matted I'm thinking SHIFT at 6 grand and by the time I do I'm right at 7!

You should seek out a Tudor or Rolex event and see exactly what kind of abuse these engines can take! Literally hours of red line!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:14 PM
mikeborden
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
Strong enough. Relax.

What I meant with the strong comment was not fragile but strong as in I can't believe the engine would keep pulling at almost redline.

It was warmed up, the water temp was pegged at the 175 and the oil was about 200. That's the one thing I've been cognizant about is making sure it's warmed up before doing anything too crazy.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Strong enough. Relax.

Use a good approved oil, change it at reasonable intervals, avoiding hammering on the engine/car when it is cold. Wait for it to come up fully to temp. How long to wait? Well, wait until the coolant temp gage needle reaches the "180" hash mark then drive 10 more minutes. These engines take a lot of running from cold before they are fully warmed up. Lots of coolant. Lots of oil. Lots of metal mass. (Courtesy of that flat layout.)

Remember too the tires are high performance -- assuming the car has N-rated tires fitted -- and may not grip very well in colder temperatures so take it easy on the freeway on/off ramps and such. Give yourself plenty of braking room.
+1

This is how Porsche tests its engine's

Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ great vid! never seen that one.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:27 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Porsche flat-six is a beast.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:01 AM
DareMightyThings
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!

Got mine about a week ago. So far, the only chance I've had to drive it has been putzing around town on short errands that don't even give the car time to warm up. The car arrived with a full tank, and when I finally put gas in it for the first time this evening, the trip computer indicated that I'd averaged a whopping 15 mph since I got it. Pretty much all under 5k RPMs, and lots of shifting directly from 2nd to 5th while driving around town.

Tonight, I found an excuse to go run an errand after the kids went to bed, and finally took it out to stretch it's legs. Turned on sport everything, waited for it to warm up, and got on the highway. WOW, does this thing pull hard the more it revs. It was only 5-10 minutes, but it was a glorious 5-10 minutes.

Now, if only I could get some quality time alone on a twisty road....
Old 01-08-2014, 09:48 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DareMightyThings

Now, if only I could get some quality time alone on a twisty road....
Just plan some errands in West Marin...ya know...fresh oysters in Marshall and the long way home should do the trick!
Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Super fun and totally safe to run it up to the redline my friend. Just make sure to have your oil temp up into the normal range and above 7 C outside temp if you are running summer tires. My previous C2S only really got exciting after it got above 4500 and up to the redline. It used to HOWL like a banshee and raise the hair on my arms! Many many drivers lug these cars ( ) and never experience the true racing heritage of the flat 6. An issue I have with my TT is that the redline and limiter is set lower to around 6300 (something to do with protecting the turbos...). I still occasionally hit it when I'm really accelerating and hanin' on, focusing on the road. I may have to swap out to a GT3 to experience redlines of 9000. But that's a another story (swapping out P-cars) for another day, right guys? Congrats and enjoy your ride and welcome to the club!

Quick Reply: First time to really rock it!