Sponsored by:

Epilogue: Lessons Learned from a Cross-Country Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:21 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Epilogue: Lessons Learned from a Cross-Country Road Trip

I thought I'd post a few thoughts about things that went well and things that went wrong on the Seattle to Columbia road trip my wife and I took in our Targa. My guess is that many of you can add to this list, and that it may duplicate some advice previously posted. For the latter, I apologize.

1. Don't start your road trip with a car purchase unless you have a back-up plan, particularly if you have never seen the car. Fortunately I liked the car, but what if I had decided not to buy it? Would I have made an impulsive decision to buy another one on the dealer's lot?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:22 PM
Volnomad
Racer

2. Make sure the car has a FULL frontal clear shield! I thought it did have based on phone conversations, but it only had the usual front 1/3 covered, and the front bumper cross-members were not covered. When I got to Columbia I found at least 20 rock chips in the top part of the hood and on the bumper. The worst was a 1/4 inch diameter chip on the right bumper cross-member. Ouch. The bumper can be touched up, but how do I deal with the small hood chips? It made me sick to see the damage the car took.

Last edited by Volnomad; 01-05-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Volnomad
Racer

I've got some more suggestions/lessons learned, but I'd like to see yours.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
targaC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Things are bound to happen on a cross country trip! You are lucky you didnt bend a rim or have something fly off the back of a semi and nail your car!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 PM
Volnomad
Racer

TargaC4S, I agree. We were mostly lucky, particularly considering how bad the weather was. Here's another one:

3. Take a tire repair kit, as suggested many times on this forum. The real reason to take one though is to ensure that you won't need it!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:58 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

could not agree more, 1/2 my hood doesn't have 3m and considering how low our cars are the entire front end should be protected....

re the tire fix kit dont forget that the car does indeed come with the kit as well as the tire pressure pump (not sure if if the pump is any good so i always use my own trusty one). they are both hidden in the frunk.

Originally Posted by Volnomad
2. Make sure the car has a FULL frontal clear shield! I thought it did have based on phone conversations, but it only had the usual front 1/3 covered, and the front bumper cross-members were not covered. When I got to Columbia I found at least 20 rock chips in the top part of the hood and on the bumper. The worst was a 1/4 inch diameter chip on the right bumper cross-member. Ouch. The bumper can be touched up, but how do I deal with the small hood chips? It made me sick to see the damage the car took.
TargaC4S, I agree. We were mostly lucky, particularly considering how bad the weather was. Here's another one:

3. Take a tire repair kit, as suggested many times on this forum. The real reason to take one though is to ensure that you won't need it!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Volnomad
Racer

4. Don't stop at Denny's after midnight in a West Texas town you've never heard of.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Start the trip with a car that is in good shape, kept that way because that is the nature of the owner, not because of some last minute servicing/band-aids.

Tell yourself it is only a car and if it breaks down you will either fix it, sell it or scrap it and and move on.

Watch other drivers.

Watch the road. Road debris is a real hazard. Stay back from other vehicles. Following too close can have something the other car can clear come upon you in your lane in your car's path in one big hurry. Also, following too close can have the leading vehicle's tires throw stuff at your car.

In bad weather or poor visibility conditions slow down. Or get off the road early and book a hotel room. There is always tomorrow.

Don't drive too long and tire yourself out. Take a break. If you get sleepy stop and get a room for the night. The goal is not to drive 'til you drop.

Resist the urge to test the car's V-max capabilities. Even though the road ahead looks deserted you will be surprised at what can lurk ahead. I can't tell you how many times I have come upon bear traps out in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes the V1 gives me a warning. Sometimes the CB radio gives me a warning. But sometimes there is no warning but because I'm going the limit nothing bad happens.

As soon as you get where you are going start planning your next trip.

Oh, every once in a while during the trip it is ok to put your hands on the car as kind of a physical expression of affection. And always when walking away take a second look back at the car.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Mojo31
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4. Don't stop at Denny's after midnight in a West Texas town you've never heard of.
Ya think???
Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Ya think???
Cue song from Deliverance!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Basalt997tt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which West TX town? I live in West TX
Old 01-05-2014, 10:25 PM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I
1. Don't start your road trip with a car purchase unless you have a back-up plan, particularly if you have never seen the car. Fortunately I liked the car, but what if I had decided not to buy it? Would I have made an impulsive decision to buy another one on the dealer's lot?
You always buy a round trip ticket. It' cheap insurance, and most airlines will allow you to cancel apply credit to a future flight less some fees.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:43 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Really enjoyed you sharing this experience with us! Great stuff.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good stuff! I was too much of a pu$$y to drive mine home from TX to KC (actually that and I wanted the car sooner than I could fly and drive) In the end, I'm glad I did, at least with this being my first P car dream purchase. As pristine as the car was when it arrived I would have been bummed to dick it up before it made it's grand entrance into the garage. :-) The NEXT P car dream purchase I will certainly fly and drive if at all possible.

Last edited by wheeler; 01-06-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: I misspelled "pussy".
Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

Good advise. My must haves:

Clear bra on the vehicle
Valentine one
Take a tire repair kit. They take up no space at all
AAA card
Phone charger
Camera
Have a Positive attitude and go out and have fun, meet new people!
Post a story and pics on this forum

Quick Reply: Epilogue: Lessons Learned from a Cross-Country Road Trip