Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Still love the car, but....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 05:31 PM
targaC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a 991. Better mileage and better stereo. Problem solved?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
Amusing that some complain the 991 has betrayed the 911 sporting heritage and become too GT like. Others bemoan the fact that the 911 is not GT enough. Now we read that the gas tank is too small, not sufficiently comfortable to endure a 10 hour highway drive and the standard sound system is unlistenable. The 911 TT is called boring, the only genuine 911 is air cooled and Porsche sold out with the water cooled engine and progressive stability control and computer assisted driving aids. Inspite of all the criticism, nothing gives me more driving pleasure than my Porsche.
I'm not sure who said anything about not being comfortable - nothing wrong there, at all. The car drives very, very well for a street car; the only thing I could ask for is more horsepower (TT beckons?).

I fully admit that I am nit-picking; I just don't see any tangible benefit to a smaller fuel tank or a crappy sound system that's intentionally difficult to aftermarket. If there's no trade-off, why can't Porsche get these things right when there competitors can?
Old 01-05-2014, 05:40 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by targaC4S
Get a 991. Better mileage and better stereo. Problem solved?
Perhaps - maybe next year. I came very close to ordering a Cayman S w/ Burmester and got this C2S instead; don't think I'd be happy with the lizard after living with the 911 now, though.

I might just aftermarket the stereo and call it a day....
Old 01-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Volnomad
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I'll admit that I used a good pair of headphones and my iPhone for music in my '08 C2S on trips. The combination of road noise and modest stereo made this a necessity IMO. Of course, with the road noise, the world's best stereo would not sound good in these cars. So, I guess I agree with what many have said: another type of vehicle might be a better choice for you, if the stereo is crucial.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Originally Posted by Volnomad
Ok, I'll admit that I used a good pair of headphones and my iPhone for music in my '08 C2S on trips. The combination of road noise and modest stereo made this a necessity IMO. Of course, with the road noise, the world's best stereo would not sound good in these cars.
The road noise is an excuse that doesn't hold water - and the difference is clear even at highway speeds, even with the road and engine noise. Again, there's no good reason to be selling a crappy system for $2K+ as an "upgrade" in a $110K+ car. Heck, my old Ford F-350 had far more road and engine noise, but still had at least an acceptable sounding CD player. Porsche can - and should - do a better job in this area.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also feel the 911 (S) is not fast enough for me. The TT or better still TTS is everything a Porsche should be ( for me). For me the TTS hits all my buttons like no other vehicle I have owned or ever driven and I have driven virtually all the competitors.

I must admit that for me, the size of the gas tank and the quality of the stereo are of little or no consideration. We all have differing priorities and that's why I am hesitant to ever make a recommendation to others on what to purchase.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:39 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 592 Likes on 353 Posts

well said.

Originally Posted by Coincident
As all things involve compromise, it is virtually impossible for one vehicle to satisfy all needs. For a single vehicle to be a comfortable long ride highway driver and an exhilarating sports car will ultimately be mutually exclusive. If you want both in a single car, compromise will be the inevitable result. One solution is buying two cars that were designed to maximize each purpose. This involves no compromise. Otherwise, you will need to choose the car that has more benefits than flaws..
Old 01-05-2014, 06:48 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
ROTFLMAO.....

+1
Old 01-05-2014, 07:04 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

im also one those that thinks the bose sounds pretty good. i was actually shocked at the number of complaints on it.

for my car, i would be lucky to get 350 miles on a full tank...

btw to the OP. your speed yellow looks awesome in your avatar. always loved that color.

[QUOTE=CamsPorsche;11027326]
Originally Posted by J. Kid

Haha...for a lot more $$$.

I love my Bose system in my car and feel its fine as an audio source. Not sure I'd pay more for a little better sound.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bose, the Burmester, it's all gaslight to me. It all depends on whether you enjoy seriously listening to music in your car. I take music listening very seriously as not only is it my passion but it is my source of livelihood. I am accustomed to listening to music at home on an audio system that many audiophiles and respected audio magazines believe to be an assault on the state of the art. When I am in my Porsche I do not want to detract from the thrilling experience of driving by listening to tunes. I only speak for myself. As far as I am concerned, I would purchase a Porsche without a stereo. It is that irrelevant to me.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:16 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Nowhere near 420 is possible in the 997 - I would be happy if it had a tank as large as your 996.
I have an '09 C2S and have no problems getting over 400 miles on the highway with one tank of gas. Gas supply lasts longer than my back needing to get out and stretch. Yes, the 991 is a softer, quieter car but after driving one on the track I think my 007 will be in the garage for some time.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:21 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

the 09+ are much better on gas then the 05-08 c2s... when i first got my car i wasnt paying attention to my tire pressure (05 didnt come with tpms) and my milage was absolutely pathetic.

with proper tire pressures and varying from spirited to careful driving i get on avg about 250-300 miles a full tank.

400 is amazing imo.

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I have an '09 C2S and have no problems getting over 400 miles on the highway with one tank of gas. Gas supply lasts longer than my back needing to get out and stretch. Yes, the 991 is a softer, quieter car but after driving one on the track I think my 007 will be in the garage for some time.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Uh, I hate to rain on your commentary parade of wit. "Learnt" is not only a grammatically acceptable variant of "learned" (as the past tense and past participle of learned) but is commonly used in countries where the Queen's English is spoken. In North America, however, it may considered colloquial - but this doesn't make it's usage incorrect.
+1
Both are correct. "Learned" is more common in American English, "learnt" in British English.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:44 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Same here. Longer than I want to drive at my age without a stretch break.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

OP raises a great point about the Bose sound system. Decades ago when Bose hit the market they were unique in their approach to sound, and did a great job of marketing their product. However it proved to be crap, and serious audiophiles exposed it pretty quickly. Bose uses various types of compensation to make up for shortcomings in both range and power, and as a result produces unusually high distortion. This distortion isn't often noticed during short listening sessions but during longer sessions has been proven to cause serious listener fatigue. It literally wears one down, without the listener sometimes knowing why. Some higher end car manufacturers have moved to true high quality systems like B&W or Mark Levinson, and there is really no excuse for Porsche to offer Bose junk in their cars, particularly those priced as high as 991s.

As for headphones/earbuds, many states including mine, outlaw them. Drivers here are permitted to use only one as part of a handsfree phone device.

Quick Reply: Still love the car, but....