Sponsored by:

Let's talk Headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:59 PM
targaC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
Yes I believe you had a gasket failure due to incorrect torque, and we offered to replace your headers under warranty and supply new OEM gaskets.
^^ I'd say thats pretty good customer service.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM
switch911
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Yes I believe you had a gasket failure due to incorrect torque, and we offered to replace your headers under warranty and supply new OEM gaskets.
1. You assumed they were torqued incorrectly:

Quote:
Switch911, I've not seen one of our flanges ever look like that. It looks like the bolts in the center of the header were left a little loose as you can see the ends were sealing but the entire middle was not. Are you sure the bolts were torqued properly and in the correct sequence?
My reply (to which you did not reply to other than saying the bolts must be corroded):
Originally Posted by switch911
The technician who installed the manifold has been working at the shop for nearly four years, after emigrating from Germany. He obtained his education and trade certification in Germany from 1984-1988, and was re-certified by Alberta Apprenticeship in 2010 as a condition of emigration. In 2012 he completed a Porsche engine rebuilding course. He now has a total of 29 years of technical experience.

He followed the Fabspeed - provided instructions for installing the manifolds, including that he used the torque specifications provided. He tightened the bolts from the inside outward.

Refer to the Porsche 997 factory manual. Porsche devotes approximately half a page to tightening torques for the exhaust system as a whole, but makes no reference to a tightening sequence. It is quite standard to tighten from the inside out and in diametrically opposite sequence as Fabspeed suggests, which the technician did, but that goes further than what is specified by Porsche.

These are the brief installation instructions for 996 Maxflo headers provided on Fabspeed’s website (reference https://www.fabspeed.com/support.html as of about an hour ago):
1. First remove the factory headers with a 13mm socket end wrench.
2. The Fabspeed Motorsports MAXFLO headers are then a direct replacement bolt on of the factory headers. You reuse the factory stainless steel headers gaskets.
2. You never offered give me new headers under warranty, you actually never replied to the thread following your first couple comments. Only about a month ago did I get a private message from another Fabspeed guy that found the thread -- more than 6 months after the fact. Lucky for me Vivid replaced the headers at no cost to me -- of course this didn't cover the install/uninstall costs that hit me a couple times.

Full thread here if you want to refresh your memory:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...d-headers.html

I am not here to slander Fabspeed but the issue with the headers was ridiculous.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In post #14 I apologized for your troubles and told you to pm me if things did not work out on the sales side - I did not know you purchased through one of our vendors. I am glad they took care of you however.

I never received a pm - had I, I would have followed through as stated above. Sorry for your bad experience, but there is nothing wrong with our headers. I believe the fault is either the gasket or the bolt torque.

I know you are not here to slander Fabspeed but I have seen you post that same picture multiple times in multiple threads, and I just want to make sure everyone knows that we stand behind our product better than most in this industry.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:38 PM
switch911
Instructor

In post #14 I apologized for your troubles and told you to pm me if things did not work out on the sales side - I did not know you purchased through one of our vendors. I am glad they took care of you however.

I never received a pm - had I, I would have followed through as stated above. Sorry for your bad experience, but there is nothing wrong with our headers. I believe the fault is either the gasket or the bolt torque.

I know you are not here to slander Fabspeed but I have seen you post that same picture multiple times in multiple threads, and I just want to make sure everyone knows that we stand behind our product better than most in this industry.
I appreciate the apology -- I actually never noticed post #14 as it wasn't directed at me -- you were quoting another member.

No hard feelings -- it was just a huge annoyance for me and at the time I was not getting any offers on replacement parts. I still stand behind my mechanic and how he torqued the headers -- hell, he did it twice with two different sets of gaskets and same results with the Fabspeed headers. He then had to reinstall my OEM headers -- no leaks and then when my new non-fabspeed aftermarket headers arrived he installed and torqued them -- no leaks. Maybe if you would have said, "Hey, maybe there is a problem with those headers, send them back", rather than instantly going on the offensive claiming they were torqued incorrectly. That was the only thing that pissed me off (that and the additional $400 of header installs that should not have been necessary).

And yes I have posted that image once before -- I don't want anyone else to endure the nightmare I went through. And don't tell me you never read my last post in that thread.

/rant
Old 01-06-2014, 06:49 PM
porka
Banned

I run awe headers.. upon installing just cats with pse the car sounded terrible. it had an Asian vtec sound

the awe headers brough back the deeper tone.. honestly I love my exhaust
Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porka
I run awe headers.. upon installing just cats with pse the car sounded terrible. it had an Asian vtec sound

the awe headers brough back the deeper tone.. honestly I love my exhaust
Sound clip?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 PM
porka
Banned

Originally Posted by Para82
Sound clip?
Give me a week and I'll get one
Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 PM
switch911
Instructor

I have a bit of a Frankenstein set up for exhaust right now -- cargraphic x-pipe, agency power headers and fabspeed mufflers -- I love how the mutant combination sounds though!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:50 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm always getting favorable comments from people regarding my 997.1S with X51 headers and PSE. I had to clean up the headers quite a bit before I put them on, however.

Quick Reply: Let's talk Headers