Sponsored by:

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 03:08 PM
nategracey
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Exhaust

I posted a question about this last week, but perhaps I need to be more specific, so here goes.

I'm deciding between the stock PSE mufflers vs. a set of AWE mufflers. (Currently running PSE. Awe cans are in the frunk)

Here's my questions for those who have the experience:

Which mufflers are lighter?

Which mufflers sound better? (PSE sport mode on)
Any droning with the AWE?

Which muffler makes more power?

And your opinion....

What muffler would you choose?

Thank you! I really go back and forth each day. Can't decide!!!!

Nate
Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am one of those that believe that muffler changes on a Porsche do not increase power
Old 12-05-2013, 12:37 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

porsche states pse doe not add power
Sound is a personal preference
im very wary of hp gains claims from exhaust companies
PSE cans are heavy - i bet AWE is lighter

I chose PSE for the switch and to stick with porsche parts (warranty etc..)
Thinking of adding an X pipe to increase the sound
Old 12-05-2013, 01:07 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nategracey
I posted a question about this last week, but perhaps I need to be more specific, so here goes.

I'm deciding between the stock PSE mufflers vs. a set of AWE mufflers. (Currently running PSE. Awe cans are in the frunk)

Here's my questions for those who have the experience:

Which mufflers are lighter?

Which mufflers sound better? (PSE sport mode on)
Any droning with the AWE?

Which muffler makes more power?

And your opinion....

What muffler would you choose?

Thank you! I really go back and forth each day. Can't decide!!!!

Nate
Nate, changing out the muffs won't give you any real power increase only better sound. I suggest you contact Darin Fister at FD Motorsports and talk to him about what he can do for you. I know he modifies exisitng muffs on the 993 cars and can taylor the dB output to your preference. http://fdmotorsports.net/

I think he is working on 997 cans now too. He is a master at Porsches and a heck of a nice guy. You will not find anyone in the P-car industry more customer focused.

Bob-

Edit. Yup he does 997s. Inexpensive too http://fdmotorsports.net/fister-exhaust-997-one
Old 12-05-2013, 02:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

PSE is a lot heavier, AWE claims more power, but who knows, PSE doesn't claim any power gain and with weight gain you might be slightly slower.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Just something to think about. . . . I doubt where you are located as tougher emissions standards than California, but just to be safe, whichever way you mod., you might want to make sure that what you do will pass emissions - or keep whatever you take off and slap it back on if/when you have a test.

And to your question, if you have a 997.2 and go with PSE you'll probably want an X-pipe (third muffler bypass) to get the sound you are looking for (Sharkwerks website has a comparison of PSE and PSE w/ X-pipe for the 997.2); the 997.1 with just PSE has a very nice sound. I can't comment on AWE but my guess is that it is better (and lighter) than PSE.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:49 PM
Cocca
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Nate, changing out the muffs won't give you any real power increase only better sound. I suggest you contact Darin Fister at FD Motorsports and talk to him about what he can do for you. I know he modifies exisitng muffs on the 993 cars and can taylor the dB output to your preference. http://fdmotorsports.net/

I think he is working on 997 cans now too. He is a master at Porsches and a heck of a nice guy. You will not find anyone in the P-car industry more customer focused.

Bob-

Edit. Yup he does 997s. Inexpensive too http://fdmotorsports.net/fister-exhaust-997-one
Go w/Fister.....
Old 12-05-2013, 04:21 PM
dasdman
Instructor

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
I would tend to agree with Fister also...since Darin just did mine two weeks ago

Just to answer the question that is coming, yes he also does 997.2's and I know he has a set of stock 997.2 mufflers he can modify (mine old ones).

+1 for Darin being a very nice guy and very customer oriented. I love the sound of mod, nice a throaty when hard on it and no drone at all...fantastic improvement.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Don't buy mufflers thinking you will gain any power...buy them based on quality, weight and sound.

PSE loses on quality and weight. The internal baffles welds will crack and they weight a ton.

Quick Reply: Exhaust