Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When doing PPI - Do you guys also check with Paint Meter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I payed an Indy to do my PPI which included an over-reg report, (there wasn't any) but I have a full service history from the only two dealers service was performed. Carfax from the dealer and met/talked to the dealer's head mechanic but no paint reading but still felt I covered my bases. Only a couple of cosmetic things my dealer fixed as part of the deal.

Only thing the PPI came back with was 60% on the tire remain, meh.....
Old 11-20-2013, 11:46 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SFZ GT3
Where in FL is the car? I might be able to help out.
Car is located in Miami Beach I believe but owner said he can drop off close in the area. Most likely Coral Gables area I think.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:50 PM
francars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Domer911
where in Florida is the car? I had a PPI done in Miami in August, and they checked the paint for me. I can look up the shop if you need me to.
I believe I might take car to Vertex Auto. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Robocop305
I spoke to the OP on the phone today. I will be helping him with a visual inspection. He will be taking the car to a know local Porsche business for a PPI.
Thanks so much for doing this I greatly appreciate you taking the time.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:42 AM
Speedster8
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about those PPI options offered on Autotrader? Are those any good?
Old 11-21-2013, 08:00 AM
gripshifter
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I used the paint meter when inspecting my CPO 997 - it's for peace of mind knowing that no panels have been repainted.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:10 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

I bought my 2009 c4s cab without going to see it physically in Detroit. I did a PPI with Porsche dealership service department for $135 and received a complete breakdown buy serial number e mfg installed option and a full documentation of all the things they checked on it including: including the tires although new were not standard Porsche Michelin's sport tires and a chip in the windshield which the dealership (not the Porsche dealership) replaced at no charge. I didn't do a a paint thickness check with a meter because they didn't do that at the Porsche dealership which took the car to for PPI however the Porsche dealership was so good with their documentation and the service manager spoke to me on the phone about the car. He also told me that he knew the dealership that was selling me the car and so I was satisfied with everything including the 50 pictures the dealer put on his website showing the car at every angle you can imagine.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
I bought my 2009 c4s cab without going to see it physically in Detroit. I did a PPI with Porsche dealership service department for $135 and received a complete breakdown buy serial number e mfg installed option and a full documentation of all the things they checked on it including: including the tires although new were not standard Porsche Michelin's sport tires and a chip in the windshield which the dealership (not the Porsche dealership) replaced at no charge. I didn't do a a paint thickness check with a meter because they didn't do that at the Porsche dealership which took the car to for PPI however the Porsche dealership was so good with their documentation and the service manager spoke to me on the phone about the car. He also told me that he knew the dealership that was selling me the car and so I was satisfied with everything including the 50 pictures the dealer put on his website showing the car at every angle you can imagine.
My guess is you could not find a dealership that would do this today.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Really! This just happened in September 2013!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:22 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I would absolutely require a CARFAX prior to purchase to see the car's history, as well as a paint meter check to see if any panels were painted. It is become the industry norm and I can tell you most reputable wholesalers are not buying a car without those 2 reports. Prior paint work may not be a deal breaker, but it is smart business to at least know if it has been done, and if possible, why. A scratch that has been repainted is not the same as a dented fender or quarter.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a few of the reason's I'll keep my 997 until the doors fall off. Selling it to someone looking for a brand new used car for half price sounds like a PIA to me.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:23 PM
BED997
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

I bought my own paint meter and checked the car before I drove off just to be sure.
If you buy one make sure it can check steel and aluminum. There is no way to check the paint on plastic bumpers with the less expensive paintmeters.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:05 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

I always take a paint meter with me and meter the car myself. I meter it in a lot...I mean a lot of areas. Body shops are too good these days for the naked eye. I flew into Nashville (with my paint meter) to purchase a 997 with a clean car fax and "zero issues" claim from the dealer.

Metered it and driverside quarter panel had been repainted. Didn't even drive it. Just walked away. Porsche of NA will allow a CPO on a car with <2 panels that have been repainted.

That's reassuring is it? Three repainted panels is completely unacceptable but just two and it can get the CPO stamp of approval for the unsuspecting buyer going down the emotional first Porsche purchase road.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by golftime
I would absolutely require a CARFAX prior to purchase to see the car's history, as well as a paint meter check to see if any panels were painted. It is become the industry norm and I can tell you most reputable wholesalers are not buying a car without those 2 reports. Prior paint work may not be a deal breaker, but it is smart business to at least know if it has been done, and if possible, why. A scratch that has been repainted is not the same as a dented fender or quarter.
I bought a new 2011 C4S, 90 demo miles, clean carfax. The car had been beat to death in a hailstorm on the dealer lot. It was part of a pooled insurance claim, and hence never showed up on the carfax.

I would never buy a car based on its carfax report.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

I'm ok with a painted panel, as long as I know the reason it was painted, ie pictures, etc. Some body panels need painting after a scratch or a door ding. Not a big concern to me as long as the work was properly done and it was not a significant accident.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:31 AM
drrobbieb
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
I would never buy a car based on its carfax report.
Second that, just looked at a 09 997 last week, Carfax and Autocheck clean as a whistle. Car had front and rear repairs/repaints, the owner admitted he had it fixed in a all cash deal so it would not show up on the reports because he deemed it minor damage.

Quick Reply: When doing PPI - Do you guys also check with Paint Meter?