Sponsored by:

Requesting picture of the Gundo Hack on a 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:43 PM
WeakestLink
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Requesting picture of the Gundo Hack on a 997.2

I'm ready to do the Gundo Hack on my 997.2. Many have suggested taking a picture of the hack to a muffler shop and say "DO THIS". I've searched over 50+ threads and have found many pictures of the Gundo Hack for a 997.1.

I've found threads of people that have done the hack on 997.2s but I cannot find any pictures.

If you have done the hack on a 997.2 (if it matters, without a bypass), would you mind posting pictures? I'd like to tell a shop to "DO THIS" asap.

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:26 AM
westgate997
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Fabspeed X-Pipe along with the Gundo/Fister mod on my 997.2. LOVE the sound, but be aware that it is pretty loud. Loud enough to scare pedestrians and turn heads. Lots of fun in tunnels and parking structures. Can get a little tiny drone-y on 2 hr fwy drives (LA to Palm Springs for instance). Ceramic chrome looks killer and I could swear that my engine compartment fan doesn't run as much anymore!!

I have the two inch pipe but would be interested what 1.5 would sound like. Actually, just wish I had the PSE switch!!
Attached Images    
Old 11-17-2013, 01:32 AM
westgate997
Instructor

BTW if you are serious about this I would suggest sending your mufflers to Darin Fister for this mod. Look at the quality of the welds. Plus the cermachrome gives a factory look instead of the black weld marks all over the place. His service is top notch and the whole process is turnkey. www.fdmotorsports.com
Old 11-17-2013, 01:42 AM
WeakestLink
Instructor

Thanks for the pics. I'm not planning on adding the x-pipe...just the Gundo hack.

I've seen other posts recommending Fister. I drive my car daily and wouldn't have the time to ship the mufflers...and I don't know how to remove my mufflers (and don't have a jack, etc.).

Also, it looks like the site is fdmotorsports.net not fdmotorsports.com

Thanks again.

Last edited by WeakestLink; 11-17-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:45 AM
WeakestLink
Instructor

Old 11-17-2013, 01:48 AM
WeakestLink
Instructor

Last edited by WeakestLink; 11-17-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:35 AM
cbenz1
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I wanted to send mine to Fister but too much hassle to take off and ship. Found Fister pics and took them to muffler shop. Really don't care about welds under the car. Tried to be conservative and went with 1 3/4 inch. It sounds great, zero drone and only gets loud when you punch it. I also added a fab speed airbox which adds to noise when punching it
Old 11-17-2013, 09:03 AM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by westgate997
I have the Fabspeed X-Pipe along with the Gundo/Fister mod on my 997.2. LOVE the sound, but be aware that it is pretty loud. Loud enough to scare pedestrians and turn heads. Lots of fun in tunnels and parking structures. Can get a little tiny drone-y on 2 hr fwy drives (LA to Palm Springs for instance). Ceramic chrome looks killer and I could swear that my engine compartment fan doesn't run as much anymore!!

I have the two inch pipe but would be interested what 1.5 would sound like. Actually, just wish I had the PSE switch!!
I'd sure like to hear this combo for comparison to my setup...PSE & Fabspeed X. My PSE is not active, it's always open. I don't get any drone at all, but it does howl at 4000 rpm. Fun car, fun sound. If it was my daily I might look into hooking up the switch.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:41 AM
Canyonrs4
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I was concerned that the hack would be too loud/harsh with the SharkWerks center muffler delete.

I also wanted some muffling and a smoother flow so I went to a different modification using the stock can. Really pleased with the resulting sound. No drone, quiet enough to be neighborhood approved but loud enough and aggressive enough for me, it does come alive above above 4,000 rpm. and makes you smile when you start it cold in the morning.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Canyonrs4; 11-17-2013 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-17-2013, 12:16 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I did the Gundo hack and although it sounded perfect from a cold start, I did not like the sound at 3-4,000 RPM. I used 2" pipe and I'm not sure why I didn't like it and everyone else does. I just had the same mod that Canyonrs4 had, and I kept the Gundo intact. Now it sound more open and the obnoxious sound is gone. Not as loud as I might like, but maybe someday I'll get the Sharkwerks to bump it up.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:02 PM
westgate997
Instructor

Keep in mind the Fister mod is an exchange. You order the mufflers and he sends them to your ready for installation and then you send back your cores. 2hr job at a muffler shop for the swap- no hassle.
Note about muffler or any automotive shops- always show up with a 12 pack of good beer "for the gang" after work. The entire experience will be a breeze and it's a great use of $15!
Old 09-28-2019, 08:42 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by KLS
I did the Gundo hack and although it sounded perfect from a cold start, I did not like the sound at 3-4,000 RPM. I used 2" pipe and I'm not sure why I didn't like it and everyone else does. I just had the same mod that Canyonrs4 had, and I kept the Gundo intact. Now it sound more open and the obnoxious sound is gone. Not as loud as I might like, but maybe someday I'll get the Sharkwerks to bump it up.
So you had a traditional Gundo done then went back, opened the third port, and added a pipe from that to the outlet (middle) pipe?

Quick Reply: Requesting picture of the Gundo Hack on a 997.2