Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS or Good Old Fashioned Tire Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 10:10 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 570 Likes on 339 Posts

could not agree more with you there. tpms did come in handy BIGTIME in my hybrid suv once since the tire sidewall had 'collapsed' and the tpms light came on indicating i had low tire pressure.

i was going 80mph on the highway at the time and immediately pulled over not sure what was the matter... it wasnt before long i heard a sound and realized the tire was going flat... FAST.

Originally Posted by seahull
...as I can check with a gauge and rely on TPMS to tell me when they're flat.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 PM
ATLDiver
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My car doesn't have TPMS on it

That said I use a tire gauge on mine and check it weekly as I do with all my cars. Having had TPMS on previous cars and not on my 997, you do miss the convenience but having to replace sensors and retrain them every so often is a PIA.

Even with a TPMS, I'd still suggest you keep at least weekly tabs on your tires. Having a home air compressor handy to put a few PSI's in when needed is great, only time TPMS is great is on a trip to keep tabs of a slow leak.

If it wasn't a PIA to add TPMS to my car, I would but since I'm sort of **** about tire care I'm ok.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

I check the tire pressure with my Longacre pressure/tire temp gauge weekly. The TPM is consistently 1 psi low. You can also get an idea of your hot pressure deviation with the TPMS. While stopped it will show +/- psi deviation from what it thinks the pressure should be. If I start with 34/37 and go for a drive the stop and go back into the TPMS I might see +1 on three corners and 0 on the fourth. Checking with the manual gauge I will see something like 37-37 and 40-39 for the corners. This is on a 997.2.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
It's a matter of calibration. The only way to determine that your TPMS and/or tire gauge is accurate would be to have it calibrated or use a source that likely is calibrated. I had my p-dealer mount tires recently and used their shop gauge as a calibrated source to determine that my TPMS was within +/- 1lbs vs. my Porsche branded gauge which is consistently +4 lbs... since a usable gauge provide I factor in the deviation.
Amen Brother! But where would you get a tire gauge calibrated - or where would you be able to find a certified "standard".

If you (not you personally but in the general sense) are really obsessive you can get a gauge that will also tell you the air temp. in your tires. I've seen guys at the track go to great pains calculating air temp and tire pressure based on how hard they are driving. Personally, I'm not good enough for that level of concern but it seems like knowing pressure in conjunction with air temperature would be good info to have. Of course if you know any of the Gas Laws (I guess PV=nRT would likely work) you can do the math and figure out air temperature without paying for that option on a tire gauge.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Jako
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a gauge. Twice per month. The tpms sensors aren't all calibrated equally. My two fronts (via tpms) are 3 lbs off. Yet on the gauge they are both equal

Quick Reply: TPMS or Good Old Fashioned Tire Gauge