Sponsored by:

997 longevity question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

All car companies provide design specs to their engineering groups. I don't know the Porsche spec, but I have a friend at Ford who told me that going back, Jack Nasser ordered engineering to design to warrenty.... pretty awful. He also tore out QA functions and others as he drove up margins and profits... he got his big bonuses but hurt the company in the long run. Bill Ford, when he took over, quickly ordered the truck division to design for 200K miles. My friend said it takes about 6(?) years for the new specs to work its way into all the components and systems.

Further, suppliers are held to similar specs and should defect rates over that period clime beyond a particular, preset threshold, the supplier foots the bill... or pays some serious penalty.

So, what is the Porsche spec? That has to be a very closely held secret at Porsche and that number may differ for subsystems.

My gut tells me they build to 200K miles.... this is my pure speculation, based on 14 years reading the boards and hanging with Porsche folks. My 2000 Boxster S's 2nd motor lasted 150K and then blew but I had 197K miles and 13 years on the chassis and it was really fine and solid. I went through the usual stuff like control arms and coolant tanks, but that car was solid. The engine design was a compromised design to save the company from failure...... so I think we can discount that design as not "normal".

I purchased an '09 DFI car in the hopes the new engine is back to being a real Porsche engineered solid design. My expectations is that I will get at least 200K miles on the entire system. Given that I take detailed care of my stuff and this car, I am hoping for many more miles.

To summarize: Yes, car companies build to a mileage design spec. No, I have no idea what Porsche's spec is. Yes, I suspect it is longer than most average car companies... but that is speculation.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-12-2013, 11:49 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

first post? please see part number 997 88566-22257-troll
Old 11-12-2013, 11:51 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

chassis in 997 family cars is (almost) same as on gt3 and cup car, nearly non-destructible.

wheel bearings and steering rods will fail eventually on any car, it depends upon usage.

IMS bearing is a big culprit, who knows how long it will last, it probably depends solely upon issues with its installation, if it was installed properly then it should last as long as its spec says and it should be longer than an average 200k miles street use.
as of cylinders - that is what compression test is for. cylinders can get scored and develop oval with time. so, it means a rebuild or a new motor.

hi revving maxed out sport engine is not a truck motor, it is very difficult to speculate here. put on a ECU tune and you probably cut off that life expectancy in half. who knows? one good track day is about of 10k miles of a street use or so for a motor, or may be even more than that depending of level of neglect. go figure.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:21 PM
hot nikon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abc1
A friend of mine is looking at buying a used 997. I was chatting with him about this possible purchase and he said something I was skeptical about. He claims 997's that have more than about 150k miles are pretty much, without exception, on their last legs. He says their engines are only designed to last 150k before "dying." Is this true?

More generally, he claims that after the year 2000, car manufacturers in general started engineering their engines to "fail" right around 150k miles. This was in response to car makers noticing consumers weren't buying cars as often as they used to.

As a result of his belief, he isn't considering buying any 997 that has, for instance, 70k miles. Are his concerns warranted?

First post, throwing rocks already? Good Luck.

Do you own a Porsche?
Old 11-14-2013, 08:21 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
first post? please see part number 997 88566-22257-troll
Not only first post, but only post to date. Guess he got his answer.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
any mechanical component has a limited life cycle.
but engine would not be counted in 'miles'. it would be in hours. how many exactly it is difficult to tell but I would not worry about average road use and 150K miles limit
Actually, the best criteria for engine life is not hours, but the amount of fuel burned which represents the engine's load factor while in service. An hour cruising the interstate is not the same as an hour at the track or pulling a trailer up long grades.

An engine designer I once worked with gave me a good analogy to understand what's going on. Imagine a dry cell flashlight battery. It comes with a fixed amount of charge. How long it lasts depends upon how quickly you deplete the charge. Substitute engine life (wear out, not mechanical failure) for the battery charge and you will see how load factor determines the overall longevity.

Now if you fail to protect the engine components by ignoring proper maintenance and operating practices, you chance premature catastrophic failure of the components and are headed to engine failure, not wear out. This can occur on any day from day one to just one day before the engine wears out.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:26 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am no engineer nor do I have inside knowledge on engine building, but I think car companies these days make the engines last as long as the fiscally possible. I am sure that most car companies from kia to porsche would much rather you buy a car for the "new version" rather than catastrophic engine failure (you probably would not buy the same car if that happened). Simple logic would say "new" and "new style" are leading factor in buying cars.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by stefang
Where are all those 997s with more than 150k on the clock?
Exactly. I can't see the .1 997 engine lasting that long, many have been failing way prior to 150k. I have hope that the .2 engine has been improved over the weak m96/97 engine but only time will tell.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Exactly. I can't see the .1 997 engine lasting that long, many have been failing way prior to 150k. I have hope that the .2 engine has been improved over the weak m96/97 engine but only time will tell.
While we don't see many of the 150k plus we also don't read "many have been failing way prior to 150k". What constitutes "many"?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:19 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Do a search for blown engine and 6 on just the first page. That is too many considering rennlist is a very small percentage of owners. I know personally 3 friends with 997.1 that have blown engines. I know at least 4-5 996 owners personally who have suffered blown engines. I don't know anyone personally that has a normal car that has ever blown an engine.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Do a search for blown engine and 6 on just the first page. That is too many considering rennlist is a very small percentage of owners. I know personally 3 friends with 997.1 that have blown engines. I know at least 4-5 996 owners personally who have suffered blown engines. I don't know anyone personally that has a normal car that has ever blown an engine.
And of those 6, how many of them actually owned a 997? People just clicking away for the sake of causing hysteria. 3 friends with blown 997 engines? I like you to have them post with proof. My local mechanic works on Porsches everyday and he said IMS are really rare. So you know 8 owners total with blown engines? I call BS. Porsche mechanics who works on Porsche 6 days a week don't see 1 or 2 cars with blown engines and you know 8 people with it. Rennlist is indeed a small percentage of owners but they are also the most vocal. You do know most people signed to find solutions right?
Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by abc1
A friend of mine is looking at buying a used 997. I was chatting with him about this possible purchase and he said something I was skeptical about. He claims 997's that have more than about 150k miles are pretty much, without exception, on their last legs. He says their engines are only designed to last 150k before "dying." Is this true?

More generally, he claims that after the year 2000, car manufacturers in general started engineering their engines to "fail" right around 150k miles. This was in response to car makers noticing consumers weren't buying cars as often as they used to.

As a result of his belief, he isn't considering buying any 997 that has, for instance, 70k miles. Are his concerns warranted?

No it's true! They have a little self destruct device in the engine. It's red and big like dynamite. They light the fuse at the dealership right after you sign the papers. It's a really really long wick though (about 150,000 miles) long.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might as well cool it guys as abc1 hasn't checked in since he posted. Figuring him for a troll looking to see how much trouble/excitement he could stir up. Wasted energy at this point.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:51 PM
gripshifter
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
read this as well.
nothing is carved in stone, but, all info is out there.
http://www.lnengineering.com/buyingausedporsche101.pdf
This is nothing more than LN attempting to profit from more fear mongering.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gripshifter
This is nothing more than LN attempting to profit from more fear mongering.
Exactly. Has anyone who doesn't directly profit from an IMS bearing replacement recommend one?

Quick Reply: 997 longevity question