Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 01:46 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 907 Posts
Default Fault Codes after Accident - Durametric Pro

2009 C2S Coupe, and Durametric Pro, latest s'ware

I had an accident where I was hit in the front wheel - no airbag deployed. The strut along with some other suspension guts were replaced. I just picked up the car a few days ago and today, decided to plug in my new Durametric Pro and make a few coding changes (seat belt chime and service reminder). When I hooked up the thing, I saw I had some codes thrown but NO DASH WARNINGS at all. I did not make any coding changes.

The car went to a P-dealer to be aligned and "codes cleared". Now I see no warnings on my dash display at all and the car drives fine. Below are the codes denoted within Durametric s'ware with the red exclamation mark:

Porsche Stability Management
C140: Communication Instrument Cluster (Display)

Tire Pressure Monitoring
8030: Tyre Pressure Warning

Airbag POSIP
C140: Communication Instrument Cluster (Display)
C158: Communications gateway control unit (CAN drive)

Porsche Access System - PAS
8002: Terminal 15

Seat Memory
C102: CAN single-wire operation "Comfort"

Any ideas as to what is going on? Why isn't anything being displayed on my dash?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-10-2013, 08:47 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

It's common that not ever code triggers a warning indicator. I had similar errors from my Durametric when I needed a forward control unit replaced.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Response from Durametric

Below is the response I received from Durametric:

Hello Bruce,

Thank you for contacting Durametric. Though the car indicates faults, it is the design of the car that determines whether or not a warning indicator on the instrument cluster should be set. If the fault condition is deemed very minor in the design of the system, it is likely the car will not trigger a warning indicator.

We do not have more details on any fault codes, but the communication errors - as far as we know - can be logged to fault memory for the slightest hiccup in communication between components. In some cases the Porsche factory tool suppresses these types of codes (the dealer tech will not see them), though they are certainly present.

To clear the codes you will want to research their cause and work to solve the issue. In some cases, such as with the communication-related faults, you may find that simply clicking the Erase Fault Codes option for the applicable control module clears the code.

We hope this helps.

----------------
I have a call into the dealer that "cleared the codes" and see what they say. I suspect that this weekend I will just clear them with Durametric. They have some wipeitallout button for each module. My belief/hope right now is that if there really is a fault, that the system will re-find it and trip.

My friend at Ford was not sure about this issue but he did say that the Feds require certain information be saved in the ECU.... he could not elaborate but he said that Fed regulation and saved data are a compliance issue now with car companies.

My quick observation using the Durametric tool is simply shock! The number of parameters/options/data being tracked, logged and controlled is astounding to me. There is crap and subsystems in these engines that I don't recognize. I knew that these newer cars are controlled by computer technology but I never thought this to such a high degree. Even simple things like hi beam/low beam/fog/side markers/LED running etc etc are all controlled through options that I suspect are there to deal with differences in country regs.

Oh, how about an even bigger almost philosophical issue: Should someone like me be dicking with this stuff? I see trouble ahead... but with high entertainment value.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Response from Dealer

Dealer said they are most likely "history codes".

This is the first time I heard of that label for codes. The dealer read my service report and all it said was "cleared the codes, none reoccurred"

When I asked him how to know if a code was a current or history code, he noted you can tell by the code by looking it up. I Googled C140, for example, and I get a bunch of forum posters who are using Durametric. Kinda funny. If C140 is a history code, then Durametric can not discern between current or history codes which can make an uneducated geek like me a wreck.

Maybe I should just enjoy my car by driving it instead of taking it apart or peering into its brain.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-13-2013, 01:00 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess you were unable to clear the codes with the durametric cable. Is the seat memory and stuff working correctly? I know a blown fuse will not trigger a fault warning on the dash. I you think it may be a fuse check the fuse box row 3 (I think that may be the "c" in the code). Not certain about any of that. I have not seen of the "history" codes when I plug in my cable(enthusiast ver.). But if every think works correctly then as you said prior, just driver her, you do not have to be her shrink.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:22 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
I guess you were unable to clear the codes with the durametric cable. Is the seat memory and stuff working correctly? I know a blown fuse will not trigger a fault warning on the dash. I you think it may be a fuse check the fuse box row 3 (I think that may be the "c" in the code). Not certain about any of that. I have not seen of the "history" codes when I plug in my cable(enthusiast ver.). But if every think works correctly then as you said prior, just driver her, you do not have to be her shrink.
Chris,
I didn't try to clear them yet. I will try this weekend. Frankly, I was afraid to do so as I didn't know if these codes were telling me something was really wrong. I will test the seat this evening but I think it is working fine.
Regarding the difference in cables, Pro vs Enthusiast, I don't think it matters. If you go up to Functions (or is it Tools), and select "Short Test All Modules", you should see the history codes..... at least that is what I did to see this stuff. The challenge is realizing these are history and not active.

Plugging into her is just for fun and to lessen cost of maintenance for DIY etc. What I really need is to plug this into Her, ( the one with a capital H) and see what error codes, short circuits, convoluted logic, crazy accounting, and emotional registers are there, active, dormant, and or ready to strike.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 11-13-2013, 06:23 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I find it a bit mysterious too regarding the codes. Almost everytime I hook up the DM Pro and have it test all modules, I find some codes. Most are of little consequence so I clear them immediately. Others are more puzzling so I do a bit of research and then clear them. I have never found a code that was a problem (or resulted in a problem), and clearing it made no difference to car's functionality/performance. I use the same approach as the OP, if it is a real problem, it will re-appear soon enough and I'll see it next time I hook up the DM or in the instrument cluster.

I did not know of the "history codes" so perhaps that's what I have encountered as well.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Update after a few hook ups..

Well....

After attaching my Durametric Pro a few times with driving in between attachment, I am finding, as did STRONBL, that some codes are re-appearing. They are not tripping the dash light.

So...... Are what I am seeing really "History Codes"? Who the f*&# knows?

Some have said that the Porsche PIWIS tool (the Porsche factory system) knows what codes are important and or suppresses superfluous errors. I can clear all codes with the Durametric and they stay off for at least a few drives, then start popping up.

What do I make of all of this? There is quite a bit of knowledge missing about the Porsche system unless someone has a Rosetta Stone and they aren't talking. I also found that 2009 they made some changes such as certain items not being changeable unless you have Sport Chrono such as auto locking features. If you change them in Durametric, or even the Porsche PIWIS, the codes revert back to OFF if you don't have Sport Chrono. I also can not get the comfort window functions to work (drop the windows with your key fob) after I make what others have found to be successful coding changes (their cars are pre-2009. I suspect Sport Chrono again.

So I am debating if I should sell this Pro cable or not and then buy the Enthusiast version to liberate a few hundred bucks. I do want to reset service reminders, read and reset error codes, but I also want a good diagnostic tool to help with repairs. I may wait a bit as these 2009s are just coming off of warranty and I suspect more folks will be hacking this thing.....

Opinions?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Fault Codes after Accident - Durametric Pro