Sponsored by:

Clear Bra Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:59 AM
Dmitri
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear Bra Question

I had my front bumper resprayed late last year because it was rock-pocked. The product used was DuPont's CroMax paint system, which uses a water-based paint and a solvent-based clear coat. The body shop said to let it cure 30 days and I'd be good to go with a clear bra installation.

I had the clear bra done on the entire front end - bumper, full hood, fenders. Months later, I noticed what looked like a fine spray mist on the bumper. I tried to wipe it off, but quickly realized that it was underneath the clear bra.

Two body shops and the clear bra installer said that what I am seeing is fine bubbles from the continued off-gassing of the paint. In other words, the bumper wasn't fully cured before clear bra installation.

The body shop that did the respray agreed, and agreed to redo the job and pay for a new clear bra install on the bumper. They say, however, that it will take 90 days for the paint to fully cure and to not reinstall the clear bra until then. That seems awfully long.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that has had experience with this particular DuPont paint product and its cure time.

Many thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:39 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Perhaps it's the flex agent added to the paint for the bumper area if there are no issues with sheet metal panels painted at the same time.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

I would not install another clear bra. Just respray or use Dr. Colorchip when it gets bad again. Personally, I don't like clear bra b/c they slowly turn yellow with time.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:44 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Perhaps it's the flex agent added to the paint for the bumper area if there are no issues with sheet metal panels painted at the same time.
Sorry, disregard, didn't realize only bumper was painted.

Originally Posted by Robocop305
I would not install another clear bra. Just respray or use Dr. Colorchip when it gets bad again. Personally, I don't like clear bra b/c they slowly turn yellow with time.
(Without turning this into a Clear Bra or Not thread)

Some of the older 3M product did that, but that's quite some time ago, my silver color DD has VentureShield film on it for 6 years now, no yellowing and no difference between the original film installed on the hood/fenders and the newer film on the bumper installed 4 years ago.

The Xpel film on the Porsche is now 1.5 years old, no signs of yellowing either.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:01 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I would listen to them and not install the clear bra for 90 days.

Surprised you chose the respray over Dr. Colorchip....
Old 11-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Dr. Colorchipped the hood, which came out great. The bumper was to chewed up for that. The clear bra installer tried a small test area, but wasn't going to be able to get good adherence.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Question