Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it possible to retrofit seat heating ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:57 PM
John W
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default is it possible to retrofit seat heating ?

Hi all,

I am currently hunting for a 997 Turbo and I have seen a car that is very close to my desired spec, but doesn't have heated seats.

Is it possible to retrofit the elements to the seats (they are adaptive) and switches to the dash ?
I guess there must be some relays etc somewhere too.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Cheers,
John.
ps. I have posted in this section as I am assuming the seats are generic, so it doesn't matter that its a turbo.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 PM
John W
Pro

just to clarify, i'm wanting to add heated elements to the existing seats, not swap the seats.

I've found info on here about changing seats, but not to fit the elements.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:19 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Never dismantled a Porsche seat but don't see why not if you have the right tools.

My 98 4Runner didn't have the option so I had an aftermarket company do it.
They took of the leather, lay down the heating element and installed console switches and done.
Works great.

I'm sure there's a company out there that can do the same although I would think you want to buy the centre console switch cluster for the OEM look.
And it should be a heck of a lot cheaper that buying the actual Porsche parts to have installed.

Poor mans version is just the heated seat pads that plug into the cigarette lighter.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:30 PM
997Austin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by John W
just to clarify, i'm wanting to add heated elements to the existing seats, not swap the seats. I've found info on here about changing seats, but not to fit the elements. Thanks.
I'm currently having Katzkin Leather installed on my 2008 Sequoia. The installer offered to add heat to the seats for a nominal fee. Katzkin Leather seats are pre-cut to size for your vehicle and then installed by independent shops working with Katzkin. I called Katzkin to find a shop near me and asked if they could give me they name of a higher volume shop to ensure they were experienced. One suggestion is to call Katzkin and find an experienced installer near you. They will have experience installing aftermarket heated seats and may be able to do it on existing upholstery if it is even possible. For my two cents I would be very scared to let anyone touch my factory leather. You might consider finding new/used seats and then trying my suggestion. One disclaimer: I know nothing about how the seats worked/installed/operated. They were offered as an option and I turned it down. If it involves a visible aftermarket switch to turn on, again, I wouldn't do it. Better a cold butt, then a ruined 997 Turbo.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:58 AM
John W
Pro

Hi guys,
thanks for the comments.

I should explain, that I'm looking at cars with adaptive seats, most with grey seats, and spare sets of these rarely come up. when they do they are black only.

I'm in the uk, so don't think there is a Katzkin here.
What I wanted to know is whether anyone else has done it with OE parts, problems encountered etc.
I am happy to strip the seats myself and confident that with the right tools, a bit of time, and the right parts of course, I can manage it.

It looks like it has to be a new hvac panel. I wouldn't want to put an aftermarket switch anywhere.
I read on another forum that the 997 has to have the heated seats enabled.

Still not clear on whether the wiring is there or not though. Anyone know the answer to this ?

Thanks for the comments so far. If I buy one of these cars and get into doin this I will report back.

Cheers,
john.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

The car should be pre-wired to accept heated seats. I'd think it would be easier to sell your current seats, and then buy new seats that are heated, and swap out.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM
John W
Pro

thanks. It would certainly be easier, as would buying a car with heated seats to start with.

I'm just trying to ensure if I go for one without heated, that it is at least possible to add it.
The car that really takes my fancy has light coloured seats and door cards (not sure what colour it is, lighter than cream so maybe ivory ?). Trying to find another set in that colour would be impossible.

My alternative is a car with grey adaptive leather, sport chrono, nav, etc.
I really don't want black interior.
out of 140 cars on sale here in the uk ~80 are within my price range, 19 have adaptive seats and chrono, and 4 of those have grey leather.
Quite a restricted pool to choose from
Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 110 Posts

Any good auto upholstery shop will be able to add the heating element under the leather. My friend did it to his wife's car and his boat. Call around and get some price quotes and see if its worth it.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:35 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Heated seats were a requirement for my car. Then I found a perfect match except for heated seats. I bought a Fla. car and it was ordered without. I found a reliable shop and was quoted around $500, but by the time I got around to it spring had arrived. My car is garaged and warm when I get in.
Now almost 4 years have gone by and I still haven't gotten around to it.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:56 PM
John W
Pro

Thanks for the comment.
i've been mulling over just how important this is to me, and have concluded the same.

If I can find a car with heated that is great, but if its right in all other respects and no heating I may well do it anyway. At least there is an option of adding if I get that cold in winter
Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 PM
Dadio
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can not retro fit factory heated seats economically. After the cost of the seats, you'll wiring harness' a switch panel and a control box then of course some one with the knowledge to get them to work. Everything else mentioned here are after market versions and while they may work they will, after all, be after market modifications to expensive OEM Porsche leather seats. Not my cup of tea you might say. If they are a must have for you buying a car that has them already would be my advise.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Unfortunately, the wiring harness is the most custom item in each Porsche. If SH was left off the list, you will have a significant burden to retrofit. You could put a heated seat in but linking it to the console control would not be cost effective. Some people have sold cars for less.

Quick Reply: is it possible to retrofit seat heating ?