Sponsored by:

Shifting into 2nd Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Luckymba
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shifting into 2nd Gear

I can't recall the last smooth shift into 2nd gear. I don't have to double clutch, but almost every time there is a little resistance/hitch as I drop it into 2nd. No other issues with other gears. I've seen the 2nd gear discussion come up in posts devoted to it being difficult to get into 1st, but generally 1st isn't an issue for me. Do other's have issues with 2nd? What gives?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 AM
kswerks
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

2009 with 25K miles here, mine is also notchy, in the summer it seems as if it gets better after a few shifts and it warms up a bit. I have also noticed now that it has got cooler that is is slightly worse. I am considering having the gear box oil changed to Redline or something. Have not got there yet though.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 AM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 58 Posts

What year, model, mileage? Up shift, downshift or both. Worse when not up to operating temp? This info might help with a more knowledgeable diagnosis and suggestions.

My 2007C2S is great when warmed up, a bit "reluctant" on the first couple of shifts when cold. Not much different from many other Porsche and other make manuals I have owned.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it works out.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 AM
Mick The Kraken
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the resistance come with any sort of a "crunch"? The '06 C2S with 50k miles I bought 6 mos. ago had this issue, and it was found to be the synchro, which ultimately required the transmission to be rebuilt (which was covered under warranty, thank gosh - $6k). The destroyed synchro had thrown shrapnel into the rest if the system.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Mine is notchy when cold. Don't quote me on this but what I recall from the many threads on this issue is that it has to do with the first gear synchro being made from steel. While this increases the strength needed to handle the power of the engine better it reacts to cold more than standard materials which I believe is brass. I could be totally wrong but do a search and you'll find about three days worth of reading material to read with a search.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM
wheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckymba
I can't recall the last smooth shift into 2nd gear. I don't have to double clutch, but almost every time there is a little resistance/hitch as I drop it into 2nd. No other issues with other gears. I've seen the 2nd gear discussion come up in posts devoted to it being difficult to get into 1st, but generally 1st isn't an issue for me. Do other's have issues with 2nd? What gives?
Sounds like maybe it's not the "going into gear" part so much as how smooth the transition is when releasing the clutch after the shift? The only way I can get a smooth shift into 2nd is to nurse it more, low rpm, feather the clutch just a tad. Orrrrrr....just haul *** and bang the gears. If I run it up to say just 4k in first and do a quick a "sporty" shift into 2nd, the car almost always bucks (or is not silky smooth) a little as I apply throttle in 2nd. I don't sweat it too much unless my wife is in the car. It's a fairly amped up vehicle, even more so in Sport Mode.

My 997.2 has a noticeable throttle lag right off of a dead pedal idle. Or course the car is VERY responsive, instantaneous, when you're driving. But if I go out and blip the throttle right off a dead idle, there is a significant lag. I'm assuming this is the fly-by-wire throttle. vs. a cable?
Old 10-25-2013, 12:07 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Changing the gear oil on my .1 C2S with 60K miles helped the smoothness of my gear shifts. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-change.html My only gear issues now has to do with getting into 1st gear every so often. 2nd thru 6th gear shifts are fine so far.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 10-25-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:49 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

My .2 also has a notchy 1-2 shift, which is very pronounced in cooler temperatures. Shifting into 1st is not an issue, nor is the 3-2 downshift.

High rpm shifts (ie > 5k) prove to have very little resistance.

I recently had the gearbox fluid replaced, but I've only put 100 km on the car since the change, and the results are inconclusive as the temperatures have also recently dropped.

I don't think that there is anything wrong, per se. It's just a feature.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
High rpm shifts (ie > 5k) prove to have very little resistance.
OP: Do the difficulties occur under heavy load or all the time?

My dot 2 is difficult to shift 1 > 2 under full load due to twist in the drive train. This can be corrected with new transmission mounts and cables. I haven't bothered because it shifts great under normal load and I don't want the increased interior noise. There's a nice thread on this subject that you should be able to find via search.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 108 Posts

Do you have the sport (short) shifter?
You shifter cables might need to be adjusted.
I remember reading someone posting here that they adjusted the cables and nolonger having problems
Old 10-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Mine is notchy when cold. Don't quote me on this but what I recall from the many threads on this issue is that it has to do with the first gear synchro being made from steel. While this increases the strength needed to handle the power of the engine better it reacts to cold more than standard materials which I believe is brass. I could be totally wrong but do a search and you'll find about three days worth of reading material to read with a search.
It is my understanding that both 1st and 2nd gear synchros are steel. But we should remember that, aside from a dragging clutch, cold trans, mis-aligned linkages, these are balk type synchros. They can be, well, balky but they should be durable. The light weight synchros I have experienced in some Japanese brands may go snick, snick but generally do not last as long.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:13 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading this thread, I'm thankful that my car shifts silky smooth up or down in all gears. That's one of the things that got me serious about getting a Porsche when I had my Corvette ZO6 which had a notchy shifter. Or, maybe I think my Porsche shifts silky smooth - compared to my ZO6?
Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

If I read correctly, the OP is asking about the 'clutch/gear' feel, not the stick itself....Lucky, can you clarify?

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 10-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

The only tip that I can give you is to never force it into gear. Always be patient and you will get years of uneventful transmission life.

We know that much of this is temperature dependent.

Changing the tranny fluid has been successful for some.

Mine gets a little troublesome occasionally but I'm careful to never force it and then it seems to go away on its own. 98% it's never an issue for me, at 80,000 miles.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the dealership check it multiple times, and they always tell me it's normal. Mine is difficult to get into 2nd (and sometimes 1st) when temps are cold. Summertime it is seldom an issue, and even when temperatures are cool, it goes away once the car warms up. Many times when it's cold out I just give up and either shift directly 1-3 or double clutch (which always works, but is annoying). It's absolutely correlated with temperature.

Quick Reply: Shifting into 2nd Gear