Sponsored by:

Plasti Dipped my winter wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:09 AM
WestCan997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasti Dipped my winter wheels

I bought a set of used winter 19" wheels that where a little beat up so I decided to paint them black with Plasti Dip. I have a reasonable amount of experience painting and this stuff is definitely different than laying down regular paint. The finish may be hard to see but it not as smooth as paint but acceptable. I sprayed all 4 coats before I took the tape off the edge and was able to get a pretty decent edge. One thing I learned is unlike paint where you pull the mask off a 45 degrees I got the best edge by pulling straight up. I'll take a few pics when they are mounted on the car.

I like the look of black on silver but I do not like the solid black so I masked off a 1\4" of the lip with vinyl fine line.

Here is what the wheel looks like after 4 coats of the black Plasti Dip

Here is the same wheel after two coats of Glossifier

Here is some pics of the rear wheels after drying for a coule days

Old 10-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 269 Posts

Amazing! Great work..
Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 AM
dw.metro
Racer

Looks great!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:47 AM
sulu911
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Beautiful
Old 10-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

WestCan..... Great Job.

2 Questions:

1 - Does the interface of the Dip and your silver line appear to be a place where a peel up would occur? Can you catch it with your finger nail?

2 - Bolt surface area.... will you peel a ring in the bolt hole so the bolt will be metal to metal against the wheel? Did you tape a circle down in there and peel it up?

I am considering doing just what you did, and had my Boxster S wheels painted (refinish job with real paint) Ocean Blue with a silver "side wall" like you did. The silver is required, I believe, to match the motif of car. In 2000, when I ordered my Boxster, painted wheels in body color was an option and Porsche did it with the silver rim, I liked it, and regretted not ordering it originally.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job! Doing a ring on a black wheel is a must IMO!!!

Bruce - I think the trick is to spray a few layers of glossifier after taking off the masking tape so that the protect and prevent the edge from peeling.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Well, this stuff is essentially finely atomized rubberized undercoating. You're never going to get a truly glossy finish because the solids are not small enough to flow out and get smooth.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:38 PM
WestCan997
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
WestCan..... Great Job.

2 Questions:

1 - Does the interface of the Dip and your silver line appear to be a place where a peel up would occur? Can you catch it with your finger nail?

2 - Bolt surface area.... will you peel a ring in the bolt hole so the bolt will be metal to metal against the wheel? Did you tape a circle down in there and peel it up?

I am considering doing just what you did, and had my Boxster S wheels painted (refinish job with real paint) Ocean Blue with a silver "side wall" like you did. The silver is required, I believe, to match the motif of car. In 2000, when I ordered my Boxster, painted wheels in body color was an option and Porsche did it with the silver rim, I liked it, and regretted not ordering it originally.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

When I first thought about leaving a portion of the lip the original color I was concerned about how thick the masking edge would be as it would be a natural place for it to start to peel. Actually after putting two coats of glossifier on the wheel after the masking was removed made the edge almost non existent. You can barely feel the edge and there is certainly is no place the you could catch the edge.

I did not mask at the seat of the bolt as the depth of the hole kept any significant amount of plasti dip from accummulating there.

I like the cost and ease of application but I am not sure I would do this to my OEM 19" wheels. The finish is decent but not real smooth so if I decide to do my summer wheels in black I'll probably pay the money and let the pros do it.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:54 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Using the glossifier to get rid of the ring's edge was a smart idea when it comes to longevity. Glad to see you did that, otherwise I would've recommended it.

My only question is, (and excuse me if it's already been said) is how were you able to tape such a perfect circle off? I dipped my wheels Anthracite Metallic with 2 coats of glossifier and I wanted to do a ring but it was just impossible.

Or at least my hands weren't that skilled!
Old 10-12-2013, 01:34 PM
WestCan997
Instructor

Mounted the wheels this morning and here is a quick iphone pic. I'll take some better pics when the center caps are dry and on the wheels.

Quick Reply: Plasti Dipped my winter wheels