Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Dash/ Windshield trim peeling up- Repair suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 PM
docdan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Dash/ Windshield trim peeling up- Repair suggestions?

As you can see in the picture below, the two thin strips of carbon fiber along the base of the windshield is start to peel up. This is after the Porsche dealership did me the favor of letting my car bake in the hot July sun for two days straight.

I am trying to decide what is the best way to repair or replace this.

1. Heat up trim in sun, or with hair dryer to make it flexible and try to glue it back down? If so, what type of glue would you suggest to glue it to the underlying foam?

2. Replace the trim? I'm assuming I could just peel these strips up, but I'm not sure. I don't want to start something that would end up creating more work/damage.

Assuming they do just peel up, are replacements just adhesive backed strips?

3. Has anybody used MA Carbon for replacement carbon fiber dashboard/windshield trim?

I welcome and appreciate any suggestions on how best to proceed.

Thanks!

Dan

Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

i think double sided 3m tape (the stuff that they use to stick on CF accents to to the exterior of cars) should do the trick. i would actually try a few small pieces first on the peeling up areas before removing the entire strip.

Originally Posted by docdan
As you can see in the picture below, the two thin strips of carbon fiber along the base of the windshield is start to peel up. This is after the Porsche dealership did me the favor of letting my car bake in the hot July sun for two days straight.

I am trying to decide what is the best way to repair or replace this.

1. Heat up trim in sun, or with hair dryer to make it flexible and try to glue it back down? If so, what type of glue would you suggest to glue it to the underlying foam?

2. Replace the trim? I'm assuming I could just peel these strips up, but I'm not sure. I don't want to start something that would end up creating more work/damage.

Assuming they do just peel up, are replacements just adhesive backed strips?

3. Has anybody used MA Carbon for replacement carbon fiber dashboard/windshield trim?

I welcome and appreciate any suggestions on how best to proceed.

Thanks!

Dan

Old 10-09-2013, 11:13 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the 07 TT i bought in March had same issue- (they were fixed (or replaced-not sure) twice during initial 4 yr factory warranty) & looked like yours do when i bought car- tried heating CF up to get back in orig shape & using 3m tape, and few other tries- gave up trying to fix- wouldn't work more than a few days/week- took off CF & left trim w/o them but looked bad as there was some discoloration where CF was-
Reading on line & talking to dealer it's a very common issue with the CF defroster trim- i've seen one owner who took off CF strips & used some paint on area underneath- looked ok but not perfect. I just bit the bullet
and ordered new full leather defroster trim (not CF) from suncoast-& the plastic trim tool kit-(Sunset was actually cheaper in price) looks perfect and stitching matches rest of dash (very easy install 15 minutes)-
- (few folks here advised me that i could have gotten dealer to replace this under my CPO- but i had already tried during purchase of car & just bought it myself-)
I priced quality CF defroster trim from bumper plugs- it's very pricey- but it's supposed to last. decided to just replace my with leather & not worry-
Old 10-10-2013, 01:02 AM
docdan
Instructor

Originally Posted by bgrpph
the 07 TT i bought in March had same issue- (they were fixed (or replaced-not sure) twice during initial 4 yr factory warranty) & looked like yours do when i bought car- tried heating CF up to get back in orig shape & using 3m tape, and few other tries- gave up trying to fix- wouldn't work more than a few days/week- took off CF & left trim w/o them but looked bad as there was some discoloration where CF was-
Reading on line & talking to dealer it's a very common issue with the CF defroster trim- i've seen one owner who took off CF strips & used some paint on area underneath- looked ok but not perfect. I just bit the bullet
and ordered new full leather defroster trim (not CF) from suncoast-& the plastic trim tool kit-(Sunset was actually cheaper in price) looks perfect and stitching matches rest of dash (very easy install 15 minutes)-
- (few folks here advised me that i could have gotten dealer to replace this under my CPO- but i had already tried during purchase of car & just bought it myself-)
I priced quality CF defroster trim from bumper plugs- it's very pricey- but it's supposed to last. decided to just replace my with leather & not worry-
Thanks a lot for your advice. I think I might just go the same route you did. Just a few questions:

1. Does the original CF defroster trim just peel up? Did you peel up the foam underneath it as well, or do you leave that behind?

2. Is the leather trim an adhesive piece?

thanks!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

sub'd
Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM
Mspeedster
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a common problem. My dealer said it's unfortunate, but in hot weather climates, especially if one leaves their car out in the direct sun often, the carbon trim on the dash tends to warp and peel up.

Hence, I also opted to go with full leather dash vents and added carbon trim to other parts of interior which are less exposed to direct sun light.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:58 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

entire defroster trim comes off in 2 pieces- after taking off A pillar on each side & gently taking off the small center dash speaker piece- the defroster trim pulls
up on each side- (search on 997/997TT forum's here & 6sp for defroster trim- i found few helpful posts)-
i initially just tried taping down the CF trim- it pulled right up in a day- I then tried taking off the CF piece-just pulled it up and heating it up to flatten it down on ends (mine was pulling up as yours is and also on drivers side at both ends)- after heating it up & taped entire piece back on- lasted about a week & ends came up again- Since even new factory CF warps in year or two- i took several folks advice and just did away with the CF.

(i didn't see any foam under my CF- but mine may have been repaired before under warranty). Looked like some sort of epoxy or glue under the CF. The post above by Mspeedster with the full leather defroster trim (no CF) is how mine looks- it's nice - the stitching is in area where the CF trim piece is.
Another less expensive option is to get the non-leather defroster trim (it won't have the stitching in it)- if you've got full leather dash i wouldn't go this route. I also priced full leather at one of the dismantlers- it was only about 15-20% less than new & they had no pics to send me, so i bought new from porsche. It was $950 or so + shipping
hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
jlert (12-25-2023)
Old 10-11-2013, 05:06 AM
serumzgsh
4th Gear

My dealer said it's unfortunate

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Dash/ Windshield trim peeling up- Repair suggestions?