Sponsored by:

New Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 AM
germzapper1
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Experience

I am a guy who likes to drive but I don't track cars. I have never done any competitve driving. I have an 05 cab c2.

This weekend I went to Porsche roadshow. It was the first time I ever experienced any thing close to track driving. I know you experienced guys will laugh but I would be lying if I didn't admit I had knots in my stomach.

In my first lap in a new base Cayman I got found some gravel and spun halfway. I recovered the spin. At first I was embarrassed. But then I found it exciting as heck. In fact the spin was more exciting than the track. I was also proud that I recovered.

Today I went to southern Wisconsin in my 05, hit the curved hilly twisty County roads and had a blast. Approach, brake turn gun it. To me it is not the speed. It is getting from a to b that is fun. You don't need a sports car to get a speeding ticket. I see plenty of prius getting pulled over.

I don't see much talk about the base C2. Most talk about the S and downplay the cab. In my world, it meets and exceeds my expectations.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like a blast. A 3.6 flat-six 911 is nothing to downplay in my book.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 AM
sulu911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Enjoy your car to the max, whether it's cab, or gt3 makes no difference. If you are really having fun try an inexpensive track day. I do PCA DE and recently hookedondrivi g.com.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:24 AM
colombiano
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911 c2 cab is no slug. Try a pca track day and you might be hooked! It's a blast!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:11 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I used to race a third generation Civic hatchback. 13oo cc, solid front rotors and drums on the back.
6ohp and no brakes. Great combo. Try racing with that! On stock michelin tires as well. My number one track suggestion. Learn your lines. Where to brake, where to throttle, where to down shift. You spun, because you did something wrong. You have learned from that. You have had a taste of the adrenaline. Your car is fast, your mistakes will be coming faster. Take a course, have a teacher in the car. Buy a good helmet, neck support, gloves. Prepare for the unexpected. I would love more track time, work, kids, and the expenses and time commitment are what keeps me away.
Remember- all shifting and braking is done before the turn in. Even throttle to the apex, and after that you may use the accelerator. I would suggest applying the throttle, not hammering it. Mind you, I used to hammer it in my yellow car ... all sixty ponies.

Last edited by BIG smoke; 12-10-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:20 AM
DGrayling
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for PCA HPDE sessions. They are a blast and help me appreciate the performance capabilty of my C2S. They also help me put some wear on the outer edges of my tires, balancing out the wear on my rear tires a bit better.
Old 10-07-2013, 01:25 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by DGrayling
+1 for PCA HPDE sessions.
Another +1 for PCA trackdays. Before I started tracking, I also enjoyed spirited driving on our twisty roads knowing full well the risks, ie, tickets, an off or worse. However, having a few track days under my belt, driving on the road just didn't cut it for satiating my need for speed. Bottom line is that I drive more responsibly on public roads and leave the fun stuff for the track

Quick Reply: New Experience