Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers just don't care about your car

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

so far my dealer always returned the car clean to my standards, although I didn't dust it for prints I would surely be upset if there were actual damage, like additional scratches, after service. And I would put my pool pump on the seat too if I had to transport it, but I'd first put a beach towel and a garbage bag down on the seat. I'm more or less in the middle between being **** and not giving a crap. I call it sensible, YMMV

Oh and OP, I do sympathize with you about the sroof. Mine clatters like a pickup full of 2x4s and it's been apart 4 times at 2 shops.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 AM
G356
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just find another service advisor. Nothing to get upset about...life is short man.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islandtrader
Fred you are probably right. Its just a car in the end.
Sorry if I'm **** but I do not appreciate people dirting my car especially when I'm paying them. I just don't like dirty cars, especially when they are this expensive. I actually wont even own the car in 3 days but I alerted the buyer not to go to that dealership no more.

I mean I don't know, Am I the only person that thinks its wrong to have a car dropped off spotless and when I drive off the thing is all dirty?
If you paid for the inspection, it's your report, not the buyer's.

B
Old 10-01-2013, 12:54 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I loved my Subaru dealer's detailer. I would send my car in for service, my clean car would come back uberclean. Sadly the detailer died died raking leaves last spring. I miss pat the detailing guy. I agree with you on getting the car back clean. While I wouldn't sweat a few cleanable fingerprints, I always get cranky with going back to get a repair done more than once.
Have a beer, get out the Simple Green. Wipe up those fingerprints that prove work was done.
Don't sweat the small stuff.

I hate getting my car back with too many test miles.
I hate getting my car back with the seat in the wrong position.
I hate getting my car back with the radio blaring on the wrong station.

This too will pass.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:08 PM
Rocco07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When getting my car serviced, I ask them to NOT wash the car. They never get it as clean as I can and why give them another opportunity to screw something up.
The less handling the better, I say.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
And I would put my pool pump on the seat too if I had to transport it
Agreed. If it was my 993 I would have taken the time to find a towel as it's worth about $20K more than my 997 beater.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

my dealer techs never pick up their feet. The only scratches in my past 911 were on the sills, and ALL were delivered there by somebody at the dealership. They have no special place in their hearts for these vehicles...just another set of wheels to them.

With respect to the "small stuff" references by the posters here, some practically pontificating...I offer this...It matters not what the issue, situation, or disaster may be, often NOTHING will compare to somebody getting news of an ailment, or meeting an untimely death. If we cannot complain about anything, then what the hell will we talk about? My life would be so dull if I could not complain about the incompetence of other people. Hell, the act of complaining is often my sole source of self-worth. I choose not to give that up just yet
Old 10-01-2013, 05:33 PM
php
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

I understand that feeling. When I had a BMW 4 years ago, I took it to the dealer for an oil change. A simple oil change. When I got my car back, I see a stratch on the interior wood trim. Some just does not take your car serious at all. Yes mine was an old 2002 3 series and probably wasn't worth much at all, but hey, at least they should treat it with minimum respect and avoid damage.

This was Global Imports BMW btw. Worst customer service attitude of ANY dealership. I won't even start on how I walked in a few years ago looking for a preowned 335 coupe, and the sales person flat out told me don't waste his time, I didn't look like I was there to buy a car and I probably couldn't afford one anyway.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Then I walk to my car which is now completely dirty from windshield washer liquid and finger prints all over the car(yes my car is black). I went to the service rep and told him it was dirty. They told me they would wash it if I wanted but I told them forget about it.
The difference between a dealer with a long term business vision and a dealer that just wants to sell cars is the simple things like a returning a clean car to the customer. I used to drive a Ford F-150 and even after a simple oil change the dealer would insist on washing & hand drying the truck for me.

Downtown Porsche in Toronto washes every car before it is returned to the customer even if it came in for a smallest thing like a light bulb change.

This dealer just does not care or his staff is cutting corners. They probably won't stay in business for too long, take your business elsewhere, it's not worth stressing over small potatoes.

Enjoy that car...drive it like you stole it!
Old 10-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To the OP - NO, dealers DON'T care about your car. Absolutely not. The TECH or SERVICE WRITER might care based on your relationship with them. I have an awesome writer who happens to be a family friend along with a Tech who knows EXACTLY how **** I am.

When I go to the dealership, my tech makes sure to use an apron over the seat even if he will be working outside the car and is very aware of the fact that I like my perfect door sills and covers those up as well. My new floor mats, too. I think it is all in the personal relationship.

If your cup holder is broken you should definitely report it and have it fixed on their dime if possible. That's one thing.

But if the finger prints and dirt bother you so much then you should have opted for the wash that they offered you.

Service washes typically suck which is why I try to do all of my own detailing but at the end of the day you could have taken a towel and some Windex and been back in business. I think that to call and complain may jeopardize your future visits (if you plan to return). It's just not worth the time IMO
Old 10-01-2013, 08:23 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

Perk10, I like how you set up your car for the techs!.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Fred you are probably right. Its just a car in the end.
Sorry if I'm **** but I do not appreciate people dirting my car especially when I'm paying them. I just don't like dirty cars, especially when they are this expensive. I actually wont even own the car in 3 days but I alerted the buyer not to go to that dealership no more.

I mean I don't know, Am I the only person that thinks its wrong to have a car dropped off spotless and when I drive off the thing is all dirty?
Fred when I was younger I used to be very particular about the car getting dirty after a visit to the shop but I stopped caring about dirt/grease since for the most part it can be easily reversed with minimal effort. I use the same approach at car shows, I don't mind if someone wants to touch the paint or interior, it's not going to hurt it. If they get close with a belt or keys then I'll say something.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:29 PM
islandtrader
Instructor

So I think it must be either something wrong with me or I have the worst string of bad luck!

So today, I call the Audi dealership about the details about my r8 that I am about to buy from a lease. Basically we are doing a third party buyout where Audi financial sells me the car. I got a sick deal on it and an audi dealership is handling the transaction. The guy I am dealing at the dealer is very hard to get on the phone and is trying to not deal with me as much as possible. I am asking him questions and he just brushes them off like its not his problem. So I asked if they would maybe wash the car or detail it. And they guy just blew up on me! Literally said, "if you want that we have a brand new r8 in our showroom you can buy and we will be happy to wash it for you." I was blown away by that comment but whatever. The seller is paying $1000 for handling the transaction, they least thing they could of done is make sure it was clean.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:36 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Perk10, I like how you set up your car for the techs!.
that's the funny part, I let them know my expectations!! They put that in there
Old 10-01-2013, 10:31 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

John, what dealership is that?

Quick Reply: Dealers just don't care about your car