997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Introduction - First 911 and already need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013 | 06:03 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the car ... really sorry to hear and see the dent! I'd go for a repair or replacement since the car is so new to you and I agree you don't really want to see and be reminded of it each time you walk up to the car.

As others have said it is repairable but not a real easy job IMO to do it right. I had a dent on a rear bumper (plastic as well). You (or the body shop) will have to determine if there are creases in the dent or not (Porsche plastic can crease quite easily) - from your pic it looks like there may be a slight crease along the dent axis, but it's hard to tell. If there is a crease, then even after a dent extratction process it will not be a smooth surface and may require some body filler to smooth it out. Then the dent area will need to be sanded and repainted and feather blended to match any weathering of the original paint. But since the car is relatively young, that may not be an issue. A good paint guy can handle it, no problem and any quality body shop can fix the dent. It is just how comfortable you are with potentially a little body filler. Your other alternative is a full bumper replacement - it's the easiest, just repaint and replace, but may be more expensive or an option your insurance company balks at without a fight.
Old 09-30-2013 | 07:05 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
What is a blackbox vehicle camera?
I have the prior version but this is one of the many vehicle blackbox type cameras available today.
http://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-DR500GW-HD-32GB-Recorder-Sensor-Tracking/dp/B00DRE8AWG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4 http://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-DR500GW-HD-32GB-Recorder-Sensor-Tracking/dp/B00DRE8AWG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4

Here's an old old thread on how these cameras can help with analyzing a near miss... had the incident ended in a collision I(and/or the investigators) would have had clear video evidence that the other driver was at fault. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-at-70mph.html
These cameras are prevalent in Asia and Russia but not as well utilized here in the US. I originally got it JIC... heard too many stories of speeding tickets being issued to parked Guards Red Carreras.
Old 09-30-2013 | 09:54 PM
sulu911
Rennlist Member

Hello and congrats new Atlanta-car owner. Consider it a blessing and permission to upgrade to at GT3 style front bumper. I think that's what I would do if I were in your situation. Since state farm is covering you may not be much out of pocket..
Old 09-30-2013 | 10:38 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I have a guy in town, he has a little beat up ford areostar. With a trunk full of paint. He can match anything.
There's a guy who does work for a dealership in the back of his van. I approached him one day and he said he is too busy. He pretty much led me away and commented I'm sorry I don't have time.

I felt so rejected. LOL. Must be nice to be so busy and turn away cash paying clients.
Old 09-30-2013 | 10:50 PM
tkdinga
Track Day

Default Recommended Body Shop in Atl

Sorry that happened to you, my heart would sink as well. I would respectfully suggest you contact Ted McCorkle at Unique Collision on Peachtree Industrial Blvd. His business is located just about 1/2 mile S. of Jim Ellis Porsche and he does all their body work, I believe. I know he has fixed the bumpers of 2 of my Porsche's now and his standards are impeccable and prices reasonable. He basically works on (mostly) Porsche's. The bumper on my 2013 Panamera S looked brand new when I got it back, as well as my 2012 911. Just a great guy too, honest, quick, I can't say enough about him. He will tell you what it needs to be put back like new. Sorry I don't have his number handy but you can Google him or call someone in Service at J. E. Porsche and they will give it to you, he's up there all the time.
Old 09-30-2013 | 11:26 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I feel for you and probably would do like you did and get the hell out of town.

With some tender loving care your bumper will be as good as new and the misfortune will be forgotten...enjoy your special 911!!!
Old 10-01-2013 | 12:25 AM
php
Racer

Thanks guys. It's always great to get some recommendations from folks on this forum versus myself blinding searching for body shops through the internet. I have never had an insurance claim or any body repair on any car, so this is a new experience to me.

I already faxed the bill of sale to State Farm. I'm supposed to get a call from them tomorrow and after that, it should be approved and ready for me to bring to the body shop. Previously I looked up Jim Ellis Collision Center, but I will definitely check out Unique Collision tomorrow as well. State Farm told me this will be covered under Comprehensive coverage, so apparently I would only pay the $100 deductible. The only thing I worry is if this would show on Carfax. State Farm told me they don't report, and it's generally the repair shop that does.
Old 10-01-2013 | 12:27 AM
php
Racer

Btw, I'm also considering clear bra installation after the bumper repair/replacement. Would the body shop do that kind of work? Or would I have to take it to some other place? I've heard the Porsche Dealerships can take the work and outsource it, but they charge pretty dearly.
Old 10-01-2013 | 01:04 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

FWIW, I researched clear bra extensively and concluded that XPEL is what I'm going with. Atlanta surely has some installer(s).
Old 10-01-2013 | 01:05 PM
tkdinga
Track Day

Default Repair Shop

The repair shop I mentioned will not report minor bumper vandalism work like you have; it is neither structural or major in nature to be required. Ted can provide that assurance though, just ask. Also, most repair shops do not do Clear Bra work - try Speedfilm in Alpharetta or Stone X off of Pleasantdale. Speedfilm is who Jim Ellis recommended to me, although I decided not to do it this time on my Panamera as I would rather just wait 3/4 years and have a re-spray of the bumper done if there is much road rash. I like looking at high quality paint rather than the clear stuff, and I've had some issues w/it in the past, but that's mostly just personal choice. Keep in mind though, it likely wouldn't have stopped your vandalism from requiring the work - and then you'd also be replacing a clear bra as well.
Old 10-01-2013 | 02:39 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

I think we should get the word "BUMPER" taken out of the automotive dictionary.

You can't bump anything.

Wind deflector?
college fund wrecker ?
Old 10-01-2013 | 02:48 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Perhaps "BUMMER" would be appropriate in this case.
Old 10-01-2013 | 03:47 PM
iammulva
Racer

That sucks, but like the others said, it is going to happen eventually. I had my bumper repaired and repainted. It had a small perforation where it and a trailer hitch kissed. Mine was worse than what yours appears to be. Was filled, sanded, painted and looks brand spanking new. Part of getting car repainted. Then got clear bra. All this concluded within the last 2 weeks. Now, my car is pristine right? Wrong. Coming back from lunch just now, I noticed a scuff on the driver's front fender. As I was looking at that (looks like it will come out), I noticed a rock chip (obviously on the part that wasn't covered by clear bra) doh! Oh well. It was pristine for a brief moment.

Do your best to keep it nice, but don't sweat it too much if your car acquires "character".
Old 10-01-2013 | 04:07 PM
windboat
Racer

Also check out Performance Auto Collision http://bodyshopatl.com/, they also come highly recommended by many PCAR owners in AtL area, I believe they do Hennessy's work for them. For clear bra use SPEEDFILM www.speedfilm.net, he is the best, does all clear bras for both Ellis and Hennessy in ATL area.
Old 10-02-2013 | 04:09 PM
php
Racer

Thanks. Claim is good to go. Now just to figure out a time that works for me. Hopefully the car will be back to "perfect" in the next week or so.

Quick Reply: Proper Introduction - First 911 and already need advice