Sponsored by:

New Battery = Alarm Sounding & Water Spraying

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 07:46 PM
wesr
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New Battery = Alarm Sounding & Water Spraying

So, I am now learning that didn't follow the proper battery disconnect procedure by leaving the key in the ignition. Here's why:

When I reconnect the negative terminal to the new battery the alarm blares and both the headlight and windshield washer nozzles spray. A lot. Must be an added anti-theft feature.

Anyone have any idea how to stop this spectacular sound and water show?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:45 PM
wesr
Rennlist Member

Figured it out - I had the battery facing the wrong way - thus the + & - terminals were reversed. This was the car's way of saying "Nooooo, you idiot STOP!" Reversed the battery and connected everything properly - no damage done.

In my defense, the negative terminal looks a lot like a typical positive in that it has a second wire attached. And both leads are black. Still, I pulled the darn thing out to replace it so should have been paying closer attention!

Not one of my finer mechanical moments, but a pretty good idiot-proofing system by Porsche. :-)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by wesr
Figured it out - I had the battery facing the wrong way - thus the + & - terminals were reversed. This was the car's way of saying "Nooooo, you idiot STOP!" Reversed the battery and connected everything properly - no damage done.

In my defense, the negative terminal looks a lot like a typical positive in that it has a second wire attached. And both leads are black. Still, I pulled the darn thing out to replace it so should have been paying closer attention!

Not one of my finer mechanical moments, but a pretty good idiot-proofing system by Porsche. :-)
I think you got incredibly lucky - I thought a reverse hook-up would/could cause electrical damage. Make sure your alternator is working properly.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

You were extremely lucky. Many people try to do this and reverse polarity and totally trash their systems. Here's a simple tip. Take a picture of the battery before you start your replacement job. Then compare it to your set up after the new battery is in place, but before you wire it up.

You can do significant damage by wiring up incorrectly. Also, why would you ever leave a key in the ignition? These cars do not take well to leaving keys in the ignition. You need to refer to the owner's manual about that.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:24 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow you were lucky.

Porsche should really use a red lead for the +ve terminal or at least a red cap over the end of the connector.

John
Old 10-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If you get trouble changing a battery, then maybe it should be left alone.

100k cars are too expensive to "Guess" on . Your PCM 's a couple of grand right there.

Glad you got away with it tho.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:23 AM
wesr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Also, why would you ever leave a key in the ignition? These cars do not take well to leaving keys in the ignition. You need to refer to the owner's manual about that.
Saw a couple posts on different forums suggesting that leaving the key in would prevent the alarm from triggering on reconnection. Didn't try it, however.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:42 AM
wesr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mumbles
If you get trouble changing a battery, then maybe it should be left alone.

100k cars are too expensive to "Guess" on . Your PCM 's a couple of grand right there.

Glad you got away with it tho.
Didn't get away scot free. The alternator was fried and needed a new rectifier and regulator. $132 at the alternator shop. I also blew the Bose amp fuse and the PCM will need to come out to replace the 10 amp fuse in the back.

It was less about "guessing" and more about rushing the job because I was late to be somewhere. And a negative terminal connection that looks like a positive one. In short, incorrect assumptions were made. Thankfully the damage wasn't worse.

I deserve some grief for this but in 16 years of working on cars (from oil changes to engine drops), this was the worst mistake I've made. Lesson learned and hopefully it will help others from doing the same thing.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes me want to go and place some red tape on my positive cable when I get home.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:34 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Didn't get away scot free. The alternator was fried and needed a new rectifier and regulator. $132 at the alternator shop. I also blew the Bose amp fuse and the PCM will need to come out to replace the 10 amp fuse in the back.

It was less about "guessing" and more about rushing the job because I was late to be somewhere. And a negative terminal connection that looks like a positive one. In short, incorrect assumptions were made. Thankfully the damage wasn't worse.

I deserve some grief for this but in 16 years of working on cars (from oil changes to engine drops), this was the worst mistake I've made. Lesson learned and hopefully it will help others from doing the same thing.
Just glad to hear is wasn't worse than it turned out to be.
Not the easiest thing to share, but thanks .
Old 10-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Not the easiest thing to share, but thanks .
+1. It's good of you to tell us. Others may take more care because of it.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

The end result was the hookup of the cables to the wrong posts but other than not having a very visible marking on the cables ( a real problem), the issue was really created by installing the battery in the tray backwards (negative to the passenger side and positive to the drivers side) - the cables are short enough that I'm surprised the negative cable (on the drivers side) was able to reach the now reversed positive post and vice versa. I know there's not much slack in the cables.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

In my defense, the negative terminal looks a lot like a typical positive in that it has a second wire attached. And both leads are black.
Positive would be red, but if both are black, look for + and -, as that would be a differentiating feature. Otherwise they look the same (ie round posts) (that said, I've not pulled my cover off to see what the cables look like). The wire leads to the battery typically look distinctive as well.. but in your case must not have (maybe my case too).

What about any guidelines on how to insert the battery - such as the battery old-down clamp or some other visible sign that indicates which side the positive post goes to?
Old 10-03-2013, 05:58 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
Makes me want to go and place some red tape on my positive cable when I get home.
^^^ This.

Buy some red electrical tape and wrap the pos lead for a few inches from the terminal end. Good to go for the next time it needs changing.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Better yet, if you can find it, some red heat-shrink if you can get it installed on the cable (no adhesive to deal with later)

Quick Reply: New Battery = Alarm Sounding & Water Spraying