997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my injured 997

Old 10-02-2013, 04:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

those photos are crazy re that fix! im in awe it was that much work required for that damage.... engine removal, 1/4 panel cutting/rewelding. that looks like a HUGE$$ job.

with that said from the photos you totally chose the right place as they did not cut any corners.

Originally Posted by TommyV44
I agree with Macster.....you find a good shop and you monitor the work and your car will be fine.

Porsche dealers, many times, have too much self-interest in where you take your car to be fixed (if you know what I mean).

My car was rear ended badly almost 2 years ago and in a very bad emotional state I asked the dealer where I could take it and their recommendation, when I went for a visit, didn't inspire me with confidence.

I got a recommendation from a fellow Rennlister, although on a different board, for a body shop in Glencove, LI (Martino Auto Body) and what a job they did.......perfect repair and 2 years later not one squeak or problem. Just artists that put the car back together as good if not better than before the accident. The Service manager at the Porsche dealer told me it was the best repair he'd ever seen as did my tech who was looking for issues!

I love this car and I love Martinos!!

Here are a few pics:

Accident:

Repair process:

Finished product:

The shop you take her to is everything!

Tom
Old 10-03-2013, 01:08 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I hope mine comes out like yours!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:23 AM
McCrazy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is some impressive repair work they did Tommy. Nice to see someone doing body work properly instead of taking shortcuts.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:14 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I hope mine comes out like yours!
No reason why it shouldn't. It's all about who you pick and the investigation you do.

It took me weeks to decide and I called and visited all of the shops on my short list (There are not that many great shops out there).

Once I contacted Martino's I knew my search was over. Two of the loveliest owners (Jon & Joe) you could ever want to meet. They loved my car like it was theirs and that's how it got repaired.

They take a while but they worked magic with her....and with me! I sing their praises whenever I can.

As they say in that TV commercial......"Like it never even happened"

Here's a daily thread they have going which will give you an idea about the shop and the artists that work there.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...53537100,d.eWU

You can see that excellence is out there you just have to look a little......in my view always worth the effort especially with these little gems of cars.

Good Luck!

Tom
Old 10-03-2013, 07:16 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by McCrazy
Wow, that is some impressive repair work they did Tommy. Nice to see someone doing body work properly instead of taking shortcuts.
Thanks for the kind words!

Tom
Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
At least she rammed it before the detail!
I do feel your pain, my wife backed out of the garage and ignoring the rear sensor beeps, rammed her mother's new car parked in the driveway - I got to pay for both repairs too! (this actually happened more than once)
On another occasion she cut the wheel before clearing the garage door and ripped the bumper/headlights right off the car... wish I had the videos.
You gotta start backing the car out for her!!!

Tom
Better yet, make her take the bus!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by gota911
Better yet, make her take the bus!
Sounds like a single guy talking!

Tom
Old 10-08-2013, 04:09 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Default Update

If anyone is interested in seeing the repair process, the auto body store has a good website where they provide daily updates with pictures. If you are interested in seeing what hopefully is the correct way to repair using OEM parts, click here:
www.vintageab.com/checkvehicle.htm
Mine is #5432
Looks like a big deal but no frame damage or issues with wheel/suspension.
J
Old 10-08-2013, 05:31 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

What is the world coming too? That is crazy that you can check on your car (baby).
Its like you are sending your dog off to camp and being able to watch them on the webcam.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

If your wife is anything like mine, the rear sensors were working just fine.

My wife's cars have rear radar sensors, reverse camera and automatic down-tilting mirrors in addition to the standard rear-view mirror on the windshield. In spite of all of those parking aids, her primary parking aid is blind faith that nothing is behind her.

Doesn't that Infiniti also have a panoramic rear-view camera system that shows everything around the vehicle like in a satellite view?

Good luck with your fix. I believe any competent body shop should be able to return your baby to you in good order with no issues.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:17 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

The panoramic rear-view camera is great. What we need in the spouses car for these situations is a Rear-view Panoramic BLACK BOX RECORDER. So we may review the incidence(s?).

The $3ooo option did nothing in avoiding a $5ooo repair.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Default Update- what do you all think?

The repair is done and I am pretty happy with it.....I think. Paint seems to match perfectly so I guess this is most important. Also, Macster headlight lines up nicely. The only issue I have is where the hood meets the bumper cover/ fender on the driver's side, there is a slightly larger gap than on the other side. I called it to the manager's attention, and he said it is w/in normal tolerances and b/c the bumper covers are plastic and do not all line up exactly the same. What do you guys think?The only other issue is that the airbag sensor light is now on, and he says the system cycles through the sensors and that it takes sometimes 50-100 miles to go off. True or bs? Thanks again everyone!
Jim
Attached Images     
Old 10-13-2013, 06:53 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Calling Macster and TommyV. What do you think?
J
Old 10-13-2013, 07:16 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

It's really hard to tell from that picture. Are you happy with it? Ask the insurance adjuster what he thinks. or ask a Porsche dealer what they think.

I wish I could be more help! Maybe if I saw a picture from farther away?

Tom
Old 10-13-2013, 09:31 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

It's really hard to tell from that picture. Are you happy with it? Ask the insurance adjuster what he thinks. or ask a Porsche dealer what they think.

I wish I could be more help! Maybe if I saw a picture from farther away?

Tom
Thanks Tom. I may ask the adjustor as she is the one who suggested this shop. Also the fact that the airbag light has stayed on...I did take it to my local P indy shop and they thought it looked ok.
Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with my injured 997