Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my injured 997

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

A new fender and bumper cover will fit very well, as good as the original parts installed at the factory.

My info is Porsche maintains its body panel assembly jigs/fixtures very well so a part of one of one today will be identical to one off the assembly fixture/jig 10 years ago.

The only gotcha is that where the body panel attaches to must not be damaged. For instance the fender bolts to a metal shelf that runs along side the front trunk tub. You can see this when the trunk lid is opened.

If this shelf got bent a bit -- it was clearly bent down in my car's case from the mule deer impact -- the body shop will straighten this up back into proper position. If it doesn't of course the fender will not line up very well at all.

To get this shelf back where it belongs -- not saying it is out of position in the case of your car just using this as an example -- this is done by putting the car on a Celette Bench alignment system and using Porsche specific jigs/fixtures (supplied by Celette, the company) to check and confirm all critical hard points are in their proper position or if not pulling/straightening various pieces of sheet metal until they are.

This then ensures that when the new factory panel is bolted on it lines up perfectly indistinguishable from when it came off the factory floor. There is some adjustment for gap so if the shop knows its business there shouldn't be any problems.

'course you have to carefully inspect the car after the repairs -- I like to visit the car during the repairs, for instance at the trial fitting of the new body panels to see for myself that the gaps and fits and other features are ok -- to confirm the shop did a good job.

Too many car owners accept bad body work as a matter of course, and when a shop gets a more demanding car owner it sometimes has to be reminded a repair that is acceptable to a Ford Festiva owner is not acceptable to a Porsche owner.

Picking the right shop at the outset though goes along way to getting a good repair the first time. It will know to what level of quality it must repair the car for the job to be acceptable.

Essentially you want to the car returned to its pre-collision condition.

Here's a pic of my Turbo on a Celette bench....

Old 09-29-2013, 02:13 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks Macster and everyone for the great input. I'm so glad I asked for advice. I keep telling myself its just a car.... a really good car that I really like, grrrr.
J
Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 PM
tommy618
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch. Very big ouch being that both cars are yours. At least no one was hurt right? I also have a 997 and a JX35. The radar system on the JX35 is NOT perfect. There was a time when it didn't see the freight truck in front of me.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:10 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Hitting a deer, and being backed into by an infinity are two very different scenarios. Do get a few estimates. As it was your insured car hitting your insured car, you may want to pay for this yourself. You will have to research that yourself. If you repair it yourself, there could be no record of the event, and thus protesting your clean carfax. The front of my car was also attacked by a trailer hitch in the hood. It was a previous owner event. I am very particular with the fit finish and paint of my vehicles. I cannot tell.
One of my friends 911 got back into by his wife,
Hood two fenders, two light, twice, two separate events.
They are still married.
I would suggest taking the front wing and mounting a clock in the headlight hole and hanging it in the garage.
In looking at the infinity. Funny how the sensor is not damaged.
chime chime chime chime ... BOOM. Stop, put expensive pathfinder van in park.
This too will pass.
Take lots of pictures of the damage and the repair for your files.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:37 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Hitting a deer, and being backed into by an infinity are two very different scenarios. Do get a few estimates. As it was your insured car hitting your insured car, you may want to pay for this yourself. You will have to research that yourself. If you repair it yourself, there could be no record of the event, and thus protesting your clean carfax. The front of my car was also attacked by a trailer hitch in the hood. It was a previous owner event. I am very particular with the fit finish and paint of my vehicles. I cannot tell.
One of my friends 911 got back into by his wife,
Hood two fenders, two light, twice, two separate events.
They are still married.
I would suggest taking the front wing and mounting a clock in the headlight hole and hanging it in the garage.
In looking at the infinity. Funny how the sensor is not damaged.
chime chime chime chime ... BOOM. Stop, put expensive pathfinder van in park.
This too will pass.
Take lots of pictures of the damage and the repair for your files.
She says the sensor is so sensitive it will stop or chime for a pile of leaves-I guess a 997 is lower profile than that though.
J
Old 10-01-2013, 02:02 AM
A.J. Merrifield
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myw
the damage not that bad, i believe you'll need to repalce the healight and fender. the bumper can be repainted from the looks of it.

edit - im pretty sure that no porsche dealership does the body work in house. the work normally gets outsourced by a trusted body shop.
Actually, Roger Beasley Porsche in Austin has a fantastic body shop. One of the best in Austin, actually.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:08 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Well the estimate from the insurance adjustor is just over 4K with a $500 deductible using OEM parts. She suggested the body shop as the best one around for higher end cars. I guess this is what the body shop accepts provided no unforeseen surprises. One week without the car...
J
Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 PM
McCrazy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite having backup sensors and a backup camera attached to about an 7" tv screen, my wife's friend still managed to back up into her husbands F-150 with her Ford Fusion. Apparently they had a flower planter near the driveway that always made her sensor beep so she just ignored it and didn't pay attention to the camera either.

Technology doesn't replace responsibility or the use of your mirrors, eyes, and sense.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:00 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Well the estimate from the insurance adjustor is just over 4K with a $500 deductible using OEM parts. She suggested the body shop as the best one around for higher end cars. I guess this is what the body shop accepts provided no unforeseen surprises. One week without the car...
J
If you are still getting quotes or want a 2nd opinion, see if any shop close to you pops up when you enter your zip.

https://www.porschecollisioncenter.c...che/index.html
Old 10-01-2013, 06:26 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

I have a good shop in LA - not associated w my dealer. But I assume that may be a bit far for you..
Old 10-02-2013, 01:37 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McCrazy
Despite having backup sensors and a backup camera attached to about an 7" tv screen, my wife's friend still managed to back up into her husbands F-150 with her Ford Fusion. Apparently they had a flower planter near the driveway that always made her sensor beep so she just ignored it and didn't pay attention to the camera either.

Technology doesn't replace responsibility or the use of your mirrors, eyes, and sense.
+1
Old 10-02-2013, 01:48 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the continued suggestions guys. All of the designated shops are far from me, eg LA (where all the Porsches are!). Ended up at a little shop in San Luis Obispo with a good reputation locally. They have a website where you can track each day the car's progress via pictures. Oh and the bill is up to 4900 now...
J
Old 10-02-2013, 08:54 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

I agree with Macster.....you find a good shop and you monitor the work and your car will be fine.

Porsche dealers, many times, have too much self-interest in where you take your car to be fixed (if you know what I mean).

My car was rear ended badly almost 2 years ago and in a very bad emotional state I asked the dealer where I could take it and their recommendation, when I went for a visit, didn't inspire me with confidence.

I got a recommendation from a fellow Rennlister, although on a different board, for a body shop in Glencove, LI (Martino Auto Body) and what a job they did.......perfect repair and 2 years later not one squeak or problem. Just artists that put the car back together as good if not better than before the accident. The Service manager at the Porsche dealer told me it was the best repair he'd ever seen as did my tech who was looking for issues!

I love this car and I love Martinos!!

Here are a few pics:

Accident:

Repair process:

Finished product:

The shop you take her to is everything!

Tom
Old 10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
WCE
User

Received 176 Likes on 85 Posts

At least she rammed it before the detail!
I do feel your pain, my wife backed out of the garage and ignoring the rear sensor beeps, rammed her mother's new car parked in the driveway - I got to pay for both repairs too! (this actually happened more than once)
On another occasion she cut the wheel before clearing the garage door and ripped the bumper/headlights right off the car... wish I had the videos.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:17 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
At least she rammed it before the detail!
I do feel your pain, my wife backed out of the garage and ignoring the rear sensor beeps, rammed her mother's new car parked in the driveway - I got to pay for both repairs too! (this actually happened more than once)
On another occasion she cut the wheel before clearing the garage door and ripped the bumper/headlights right off the car... wish I had the videos.
You gotta start backing the car out for her!!!

Tom

Quick Reply: Help with my injured 997