Suspension Failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:05 AM
lowcoaster
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension Failure

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can provide some insight into my most recent issue with my 06 c2 997.1

I was hearing some squeaks and creaks coming from the left side of the car whenever I went over a large bump.
I brought the car in to be looked at, they oiled the suspension up and sent it back to me saying everything looked fine.

This morning I walked by the car and noticed that the rear left tire is tucked up uder the wheelwell looking like it's a lowrider.

Since the dealership didn't notice anything even after I brought it in and pointed out the suspension issue, what do you guys figure has happened?

My regular service guy is out for the day, and no one has gotten back to me yet, so I'm just sitting around waiting for a phone call.

Thank goodness the suspension didn't isht the bed while I was driving.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might have happened?
Old 09-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 875 Posts

I broke a spring once.... just stick your head under there.

If it is a spring, then you will make a decision to just replace it, the two rears, or all four. This will then trigger a decision on shocks. You did not say how many miles are on the car. I suggest, if sub-75K miles, you just do the two rear springs. These shocks are pretty durable.

Oh, I have no idea why the spring broke. I suspect there was a flaw in the metal.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-20-2013, 10:02 AM
lowcoaster
Advanced

the car is getting close to 90,000 km (55923.4 miles)

the car is under warranty. Would they replace both rears or just the one?

seems odd to ride on one new spring and one old one.

thanks for the input.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lowcoaster
stanger things have happened but my first reaction is "HAHAHAHA, of course theyd only replace one". the correct thing would be to replace all 4, just like if one of your old tires had a blowout, you'd replace all 4, not just one. but alas, stealerships are in business and sometimes business sense <> common sense.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 250 Likes on 221 Posts

the car is getting close to 90,000 km (55923.4 miles)

seems odd to ride on one new spring and one old one.

thanks for the input.
My WAG is just one spring would be replaced unless the factory required them replaced in pairs.

The springs are not connected, do not share anything in common with each other (other than the obvious) unlike say valve lifters where if one is noisy/bad due to possible contamination all are at risk from this to because they share the same oil delivery passage.

Get the spring replaced then have the car aligned. I doubt this will happen but if the tech is unable to align the car properly due to the ride height differences of the car or of the car's ride height is out of spec due to the new spring keeping the car higher than the other side then insist both springs should be replaced in order to eliminate the ride height variation.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:14 PM
lowcoaster
Advanced

UPDATE: Just had the car flatbedded to the dealership.

The Tow Truck Driver seemed to think it was a broken Strut.

Would I need an alignment after a new strut was installed?

Also I took some pics, I'll post up after the weekend.

my LOW - RIDE - R drives a little slower....
Old 09-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 875 Posts

Interesting.... I would love to know what exactly broke. The car sits on the springs and the strut mounts on the top don't leave much room for movement such as a drop in height.... I don't think....
If the shock shaft broke, then maby the carriage assembly shifted... hmmm......

I will say this: If you drive a performance car like a regular car in that you take it everywhere, and I do mine, you will wear out suspension parts like control arms and such.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

My .02 is that since all springs will sag somewhat with age, both springs on the same axle should be replaced at the very least.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,746 Likes on 1,068 Posts

When my pasm coil over went out on one corner of my car I replace the whole setup with ohlins and monoballs. So yeah you can just fix or go stupid like I did. :-). But these things do fail.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:21 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Would I need an alignment after a new strut was installed?
yes. proper shops do it by default. if you d not have a dedicated ini mechanic to service your car make sure dealer will do alignment after unbolting shocks.

as was noted - if they will decide to replace sprig on one side - other side should also be refreshed. it would be impossible to ask for a new shock on other side for free but it would also be a good idea as nobody refreshes just one shock on one side out of 4 old ones.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:07 AM
lowcoaster
Advanced

UPDATE:

It was the strut that failed. The welds must have broke and the strut was sliding down, causing that squeaking noise.

The dealership is replacing the left rear strut, and giving me a set of springs for the rear, both the left and right, as well as a full alignment.

Parts should be in tomorow.

Pics coming soon...
Old 09-23-2013, 10:38 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

offer them to pay for the second strut considering they cover all labor on both sides.
decision is yours but I would replace both. unless they have some really crazy price on this rear strut.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
offer them to pay for the second strut considering they cover all labor on both sides.
decision is yours but I would replace both. unless they have some really crazy price on this rear strut.
+1.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

+2 struts are supposed to be replaced in pairs.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:07 PM
lowcoaster
Advanced

not sure why they wouldn't ask me about replacing the right strut... even if they didn't cover it, why wouldn't they bring this to my attention??

Wouldn't the mechanics at Porsche know that struts need to be replaced in pairs?? They knew enough to order springs for both sides, so why not the struts?

I'm already loosing faith in them since they failed to notice the issue in the first place even after I brought it to thier attention.

I called in and got the service rep to order the strut for the right side, he mentioned that I may have to pay for it out of pocket. He's going to try to get it covered, but you know how these things can go.

Quick Reply: Suspension Failure