Sponsored by:

Dead battery mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Porsche605
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I leave my car on the trickle charger. It's an inexpensive and convenient $100 investment compared to all the complexity of trying to open up a drained car. FWIW, if you don't lock the car it should shut down all non-essential electronics after a few hours. One thing I've been mindful off in our TX heat is the fact that my engine fan will kick in after I park the car. This will drain my battery a bit so I've gone to a policy of just plugging her into the trickle charger every time she's parked in the home garage.
Yeah, I've been wondering about that. I live in the Phoenix area and the engine fan kicks in and runs all time after I shut my car off. My battery just died a month ago. It was only a year and nine months old. I was wondering how much juice the electric fans draw.

Also, I have my iPod connected in my car and it doesn't seemed to be on switched power as it looks like it is being charged after I turn off my car.

I should invest in a trickle chargers as you have.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:03 PM
cyberay
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonNY
Have a '12 997S Cab that i drive fairly regularly. Didn't drive for a few days and last night battery was dead. Checked and no inside lights or anything was left on. I bought the car over the winter and had it on a trickle/battery tender until April, so it was fully charged then.

I have a battery/alternator/starter-motor tester that when the car wouldn't start said "weak" which according to the instructions means "ok" but needs to be charged. After a jump start the load test (picture shown) says battery is good. I trickle charged the battery overnight and it still didn't finish charging so it was pretty run down. Tested the charging system (alternator) and put it through it's paces, AC on, heated seats, lights, ventilated seats, put the top up/down a few times, and can't get any tests to fail. So the question is why the heck did the battery die? I'm more concerned about a problem with the electrical system in the car. Shouldn't be going dead, especially in warm weather. Any known issues to ask the dealer about?

I use the same battery tester and can tell you that if you load the battery for a full 10 seconds and the indicator stays in the range you show, the battery is good. What the service adviser told you about locking the car does not sound right. I can't say for sure, but I think that there is less drain when the car is unlocked because all systems shut down when it is unlocked, even the motion detecting security system. This is not the case when the car is locked as the security system continues to draw current from the battery.

You seem to have some troubleshooting abilities so I would suggest that if you have a decent volt-ohm meter you check the parasitic drain when the car is unlocked and everything is off. It takes a period of time for the electrical system to shut completely down after the ignition is turned off and the doors closed. Open the trunk and wait until the light times out. By the time it times out (1-2 hours) the electrical system will be asleep. Then disconnect the negative battery cable and connect the volt-ohm meter's black lead to the negative battery terminal, and the red lead to the cable that you removed. This completes the circuit and you can read the current drain. I'm pretty sure you want it to be in the 250-300 miliamp range (0.25-0.3amps). Assuming that you don't have a range finding VOM, be sure that you have the dial on the meter set to the correct AMP scale and the probes in the correct sockets before you connect it. If the meter goes over range, switch to the next higher scale until you get a reading. If it's much more than 300ma, find out from the dealer what the limit is so you can determine whether you have a problem. If it's 300ma or less, whatever caused the battery to go dead in a few days does not have to do with excessive current drain when the car is turned off. Off-hand I don't know the reserve capacity of the battery, but would expect it to be around 70 amp-hours. At a linear current drain of 300ma, it would take about 10 days to fully discharge. Longer if the current drain decreased as the battery voltage declined. Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by cyberay
...Then disconnect the negative battery cable and connect the volt-ohm meter's black lead to the negative battery terminal, and the red lead to the cable that you removed. This completes the circuit and you can read the current drain. I'm pretty sure you want it to be in the 250-300 miliamp range (0.25-0.3amps).
When I ran such a test on my Mercedes, I found that for about 30 seconds the amp draw was higher and then it settled down to a much smaller load. I suspect that you will see something similar as I attribute some of the higher initial draw to some of the computers going through a boot cycle and basic systems checks. Then to sleep mode.

Good hunting.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:41 PM
Rcleahy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '08 C4S Cab. I was having trouble with the battery being sluggish on starting the car. I put 4K miles on it last year. My mechanic told me I should always lock the car even when it is the garage. Locking the car puts it into a "deeper sleep" which will have less of a draw on the battery. I use a battery tender during the winter months as I don't drive the car. I keep the car locked throughout the winter. Since I have been using this approach I have resolved my sluggish battery issue.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:33 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

These cars WILL drain the battery if left unlocked in a garage over time, and even shorter periods of time if the battery is weak. CAN network communication still occurs with modules not in a sleep state without the lock command. No speculation, it happens.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

The same kind of problem on my 12 997.2S Coupe was a bad module. The bad news is that it took the dealer nearly six months to find it and fix it!

Good Luck
Old 09-23-2013, 01:51 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars WILL drain the battery if left unlocked in a garage over time, and even shorter periods of time if the battery is weak. CAN network communication still occurs with modules not in a sleep state without the lock command. No speculation, it happens.
+ 1 confirmed.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche605
Yeah, I've been wondering about that. I live in the Phoenix area and the engine fan kicks in and runs all time after I shut my car off. My battery just died a month ago. It was only a year and nine months old. I was wondering how much juice the electric fans draw.

Also, I have my iPod connected in my car and it doesn't seemed to be on switched power as it looks like it is being charged after I turn off my car.

I should invest in a trickle chargers as you have.
This is the BatteryMINDer I use.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X2B0RW/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X2B0RW/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-19-2015, 03:38 PM
PRM97401
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 C2S - Same Battery Issue

Jason:

My 997.2 C2S daily driver has the same issue and is in fact sitting lifeless in my garage.

- I purchased my car 11 months ago under CPO.
- After having the car a few weeks the battery died - it went completely flat.
- Porsche Service came back with a NPF/NTF and attributed it the battery just being worn out - and I got stuck with the tab for a new battery.

She died again over the weekend... after ~ 10 months on a brand new factory battery. But this time I attribute the fault to the PCM.

- After jumping the car I noticed that the PCM did not boot up. I can hear the PCM try to boot, the lights flicker and then it reboots about every 10 seconds in a continual loop.

- After turning off the car and locking the car with the remote I can still hear the PCM trying to boot, even after being shut off and locked for several minutes.

She is going back into the dealer again today, but this time I am convinced it is the PCM causing the power drain. I drive the car regularly, the battery is new, I always lock it with the remote and I even go so far as to power down all the electronics before I lock it up. I am convinced that the 997.2 has a bug in the PCM causing a power down, this is not pilot error.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by PRM97401
Jason:

My 997.2 C2S daily driver has the same issue and is in fact sitting lifeless in my garage.

- I purchased my car 11 months ago under CPO.
- After having the car a few weeks the battery died - it went completely flat.
- Porsche Service came back with a NPF/NTF and attributed it the battery just being worn out - and I got stuck with the tab for a new battery.

She died again over the weekend... after ~ 10 months on a brand new factory battery. But this time I attribute the fault to the PCM.

- After jumping the car I noticed that the PCM did not boot up. I can hear the PCM try to boot, the lights flicker and then it reboots about every 10 seconds in a continual loop.

- After turning off the car and locking the car with the remote I can still hear the PCM trying to boot, even after being shut off and locked for several minutes.

She is going back into the dealer again today, but this time I am convinced it is the PCM causing the power drain. I drive the car regularly, the battery is new, I always lock it with the remote and I even go so far as to power down all the electronics before I lock it up. I am convinced that the 997.2 has a bug in the PCM causing a power down, this is not pilot error.
Is your car stock? No changes anywhere in the electric bus?
Old 01-19-2015, 11:43 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

My 997.2 battery lasted 5 years- just replaced it last Oct and bought the car in September 2009 new. I don't drive it a ton 28000 miles in just over 5 years and no trickle charger or anything. This year I did a few 2+ week trips and I'm sure that contributed to a slightly earlier demise. Battery should last a good 5 years or you have a bug.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:49 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rodsky
My 997.2 battery lasted 5 years ... This year I did a few 2+ week trips and I'm sure that contributed to a slightly earlier demise. ...
Why do you say that long road trip contributes to a battery demise?
Old 01-20-2015, 01:09 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Why do you say that long road trip contributes to a battery demise?
sorry, I wasn't that clear. The car sat for 2-3 weeks while I was traveling by air to other parts of the world for business and pleasure 😀..
Old 01-20-2015, 01:45 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rodsky
sorry, I wasn't that clear. The car sat for 2-3 weeks while I was traveling by air to other parts of the world for business and pleasure ��..
Got it, thanks!

997s use about 40mA idling, roughly 1Ah/day, 7Ah/week - 21Ah in 3 weeks, which is about 1/4 of a fully charged (80/90 Ah) battery.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:48 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Got it, thanks! 997s use about 40mA idling, roughly 1Ah/day, 7Ah/week - 21Ah in 3 weeks, which is about 1/4 of a fully charged (80/90 Ah) battery.
Very interesting, thanks. How does ambient temperature affect that. I assume that cold weather is somehow harder for a battery.

Quick Reply: Dead battery mystery