Sponsored by:

Catless vs 200 cell

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 11:28 AM
JBSPEED
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catless vs 200 cell

Can someone share their experiences and knowledges on catless vs 200 cell x pipes which gives better performance?
Old 09-17-2013, 11:39 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

I can't really comprehend why anyone would want to run without cats in a street car. The noise will be loud and the smell unhealthy for you and everyone around you, not to mention likely a loss of torque at lower RPM. 200 cell cats will give you all the sound and performance you seek.

I would recommend the AWE. I've had both the Fabspeed X-pipe in the past and now the crossover AWE's and prefer the sound, design, and ease of installation of the AWE's. Just my .02.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM
JBSPEED
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AWay
I can't really comprehend why anyone would want to run without cats in a street car. The noise will be loud and the smell unhealthy for you and everyone around you, not to mention likely a loss of torque at lower RPM. 200 cell cats will give you all the sound and performance you seek.

I would recommend the AWE. I've had both the Fabspeed X-pipe in the past and now the crossover AWE's and prefer the sound, design, and ease of installation of the AWE's. Just my .02.

Which muffler do you have now? I have fabspeed, do you think fabspeed x pipe will work better with fabspeed muffler? or awe?

thanks
Old 09-17-2013, 11:59 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Most of these systems are designed to be interchangeable and either the AWE or Fabspeed cats would mate up just the same. I have the PSE mufflers and think they sound lovely. Sound is subjective as I'm sure you know. IMO Fabspeed mufflers tend to produce a deeper tone than the PSE.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:11 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

All the aftermarket exhausts are interchangeable. I just helped my dad upgrade his 997.1 S with X51 headers and 200 cell x-pipe from NHP mating up to Tubi mufflers. The fitment is excellent and the sound is amazing. He had been running the Tubi's with the factory exhaust manifolds and cats and really didn't like the sound- especially at lower RPM's.. It sounded very flatulent off idle... Now that the exhaust gases from both banks are mixing, it's making wonderful sounds across the entire rev range. The increased performance is just icing on the cake.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going catless on a street car is not smart, unless you don't care about the huge power loss and are looking for sound improvements only (which there are better ways to go about doing). The engine's cam timing was not designed to be run with a catless system, thus you have worse than stock cylinder filling at all but high rpm.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Do you live in a state that requires emissions testing?
Old 09-17-2013, 03:59 PM
JBSPEED
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Do you live in a state that requires emissions testing?
I live in Taiwan and we do have the emissions test too, once a year for cars 5 to 10 years old, after 10 years, twice a year
Old 09-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Perk10
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Aside from not being able to pass emissions you would get a check engine light almost every time you turned the car on. . . not worth it imo. I went with AWE
Old 09-17-2013, 09:08 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I have an FVD full exhaust system including 200 cell cats and software remap on my C2S 997.1. Very happy with the result and it passes emission testing w/o having to remap back to stock.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:21 AM
JBSPEED
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
Going catless on a street car is not smart, unless you don't care about the huge power loss and are looking for sound improvements only (which there are better ways to go about doing). The engine's cam timing was not designed to be run with a catless system, thus you have worse than stock cylinder filling at all but high rpm.
pm sent, still waiting for reply
Old 09-18-2013, 10:59 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
it passes emission testing w/o having to remap back to stock.
I had softronic since 2009 and never had problems passing inspection and emissions. this year was first when I got into this new problem. I hope TX will not have this BS but over here they now have 'digital signature' comparison done by tech station computer to 'identify' if car matches stock 'signature' of available systems and if it does not 'match' it fails you and sends to advanced tech station so they could inspect car in detail. all in the effort to eliminate those 'flashed' ECUs.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:35 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Cutting the Cat out in the 8o's really help performance. OBII cars are designed to run with cats. All the sensor and computers are built for it. The constant dash light would drive me crazy(er). Keep the cats, it will also make it easier to sell when it comes time.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
I had softronic since 2009 and never had problems passing inspection and emissions. this year was first when I got into this new problem. I hope TX will not have this BS but over here they now have 'digital signature' comparison done by tech station computer to 'identify' if car matches stock 'signature' of available systems and if it does not 'match' it fails you and sends to advanced tech station so they could inspect car in detail. all in the effort to eliminate those 'flashed' ECUs.
Wow... sounds like they may be looking for a check sum value. I hope that's not the case for us in TX as well.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:21 PM
JBSPEED
Intermediate

how about 100 cell vs 200 cell?

Quick Reply: Catless vs 200 cell