Sponsored by:

Car cover question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Mudcat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car cover question

I have a 2008 C4S with sand beige full leather interior that I use as a daily driver. Living in SoCal the sun can be pretty strong so I'm thinking about using a car cover. Is this a good idea? Any issues that I should be aware of? What's the cover of choice? Thanks.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:48 PM
RC911
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2012 C2S and I cover mine when its outside at work in San Diego. I've tried lots of covers over the years and have been happy with a custom fit covercraft. The material is Evolution. It protects the paint, easy to roll up and fits nicely in the frunk. And unlike some heavy duty covers, it doesn't smell. Maybe wash it once in awhile.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 PM
RC911
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry my bad, I just pulled the paperwork on my cover. The material is called Ultratect.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:30 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best cover I've ever used, on any car, is the OEM Porsche car cover. I bought it from Suncoast:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=997gen1covers

It's light, easy to handle, fits perfect, fantastic quality, and obviously protects the car. Some people have complained that it's too tight, but for me it's perfect.

The one issue you have to consider though, is that the paintwork should be absolutely clean when you cover the car. Otherwise the dirt/grit will rub against the interior of the cover and your paintwork, and can potentially scratch it.

My car lives outside, so I only use the car cover if I'm going away and won't be using the car for a while. I wash and dry the car, and then and pretty much only then, will I cover the car.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:43 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 280 Posts

When parked upon public streets, a few municipalities require that the vehicle's license plate number be either visible or that the cover has it imprinted on the cover at the approximate location of the plates.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by fastm3
The one issue you have to consider though, is that the paintwork should be absolutely clean when you cover the car. Otherwise the dirt/grit will rub against the interior of the cover and your paintwork, and can potentially scratch it.

My car lives outside, so I only use the car cover if I'm going away and won't be using the car for a while. I wash and dry the car, and then and pretty much only then, will I cover the car.
That's the issue with using covers outdoors, the car should be wiped down to prevent scuffing of paint.

The alternative would be to tint the windows and use a sunshade. Use 303 Aerospace on the window trim, windshield trim and other rubber parts.

Quick Reply: Car cover question