Sponsored by:

Headlights restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 05:59 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Headlights restoration

Finally I came to a point where I wanted my headlights restored. After reading and comparing different kits I decided to go with Sylvania mostly because of anti-UV final coat they provide with the kit.

My headlights were not completely shot, but you can easily see the blemishes on the lenses,

Before pics:

Few in-process pics while I was sanding with three grits included:

Here is how the lenses looked just before applying the UV-protecting coat:

And once you apply the final coat it looks like new again. Finished:

The whole process took me slightly less than 2 hours and was easy.
It turned out to be a good kit and I am quite happy with the results. I hope the coat will protect the lenses fine and will last a few years.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:05 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! What do you think caused the white haze?
Old 09-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks , my 997 needs this, my Cayenne really needs it.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Nice! What do you think caused the white haze?
You can guess
Few contributing factors. Main one is that plastic is not glass, second is a road rash, and finally California sun
Old 09-16-2013, 12:52 AM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 271 Posts

Wow, it came out like brand new!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:23 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have used many of these kits, none have lasted more than 4 mo. Let us know how it works out.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:36 PM
dwost
Advanced

Nice job! I just did this for a buddy over the weekend on his E46. I just wet sanded and then used two levels of compound on my rotary and finished with Zaino. Not sure you really need a kit to do this, if you have any knowledge about detailing and the basics the same process applies to the headlights as it does to rejuvenating clear coat.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Geat looking job you did! I don't trust myself, so I'll be using Headlight Doctor. He did my Merc 4 years ago and it still looks like new. For what it costs it doesn't pay for me to spend 2 hours at it vs my day occupation, especially if my results don't come out as nice as yours, or if it doesn't last as long as the pro job. But again, kudos, that's a gorgeous result you got there! Actually my turn sig covers are much worse than my headlights.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:09 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

Wow I didnt know there was a Headlight Doctor!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:29 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sixgun95
Have used many of these kits, none have lasted more than 4 mo. Let us know how it works out.
Sure will. Have you tried this particular one? I also ordered a headlight protection film, although not decided on whether or not I will apply it.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Geat looking job you did! I don't trust myself, so I'll be using Headlight Doctor. He did my Merc 4 years ago and it still looks like new. For what it costs it doesn't pay for me to spend 2 hours at it vs my day occupation, especially if my results don't come out as nice as yours, or if it doesn't last as long as the pro job. But again, kudos, that's a gorgeous result you got there! Actually my turn sig covers are much worse than my headlights.
Thanks for posting. I was not aware of Headlight Doctor. Unfortunately they are not available in California judged by their website. As for time spent, I did it on Sunday out of curiosity (and this is why I posted my results with pics, so others can see) as opposed to money saving. I was about to buy new headlights ans still thinking of doing it if the haze comes back.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dwost
Nice job! I just did this for a buddy over the weekend on his E46. I just wet sanded and then used two levels of compound on my rotary and finished with Zaino. Not sure you really need a kit to do this, if you have any knowledge about detailing and the basics the same process applies to the headlights as it does to rejuvenating clear coat.
I think so too. The only reason I bought a kit was surface activator liquid and UV protecting coat. I am sure there are other brands available too though.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:12 PM
jfk308
Advanced

Looks good! I tried the Meguiar's Heavy Duty Restoration Kit with no success. It only has 2 grits. I wonder if I sanded hard enough. What sort of pressure did you use while sanding? Did you use a side to side or swirling motion? Meguiar's said to sand up and down with one grit and side to side with the other.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:18 AM
sixgun95
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfk308
Looks good! I tried the Meguiar's Heavy Duty Restoration Kit with no success. It only has 2 grits. I wonder if I sanded hard enough. What sort of pressure did you use while sanding? Did you use a side to side or swirling motion? Meguiar's said to sand up and down with one grit and side to side with the other.
I used the same one and another one, dont recall - both garbage!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jfk308
Swirling (like when you polish something) with medium to hard pressure as you move to finer grits. Like I said the reason I went with Sylvania kit is that it includes a surface activator spray which removes original UV protection coat (this I think helped initial sanding) and final UV protection coat which made the magic..

Quick Reply: Headlights restoration