Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To IMS or to not IMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013 | 03:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Great looking car, congrats.

You got the warranty, and Porsche assurance as well, so just DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT! Don't even worry about that 3% chance of failure, your chance of getting into an accident is a lot higher.

Now, AFTER your warranty expires, or right before it's going to, you can think about doing the LN Engineering IMS if you kept the car.

Enjoy!
Old 09-04-2013 | 03:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

if you can do LN retrofit - find a best nearest shop and do it, it is not so expensive on those cars and gives you a peace of mind.
Old 09-04-2013 | 03:23 PM
Luxter
Pro

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...59909#25749664

In particular posts # 3 & 6 by Baz and Grant (Hartech) on page 1.

Key cliff note:
"This year we have rebuilt over 100 engines of which only 2 were the result of IMS bearing failure."

Edit:
The above does not indicate 2% failure rate as some suggest.

Cheers,
=L=
Old 09-04-2013 | 03:34 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

it is good info but unfortunately it is same old talk of 'you need to rebuild' - a shop with stellar reputation prefers not to mess with any action that may potentially be turned into blame war.

it is true what he says in post 6 about internal damage IF special tools are not used. but u know what, it is same thing like to put LSD into gearbox or do any other complicated repairs. there are shops that do specialize on such installs, did plenty of them and are aware of what precautions should be taken.

it is also true a best thing you can do to an old motor is a complete rebuild. no one argues with that. it only costs 10 times more at least compared to LN retrofit install.
Old 09-04-2013 | 03:36 PM
mikeguitarez
Advanced

utkinpol & alexb76 thank you.

@ Luxter - good read on that thread - had not seen that prior!
Old 09-04-2013 | 03:43 PM
Luxter
Pro

Originally Posted by mikeguitarez

@ Luxter - good read on that thread - had not seen that prior!
Hartech is the only of heavy lifters who actually do share their experience, mostly on Pistonheads and 911UK forums.
I really enjoy reading their posts. They just make sense.

Visit their web site and have a look at their buyer's guides too.

=L=
Old 09-04-2013 | 04:46 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Wow - the Brits love to have at it, and not as many grammatical errors as with us Yanks. Love some of their lingo , i.e., "m96/97 lumps" "have a stroke at him" and the inevitable "old chap" and many others. Interesting the differnce in opinion betwen Hartech(if its not broke dont fix it) and Flat Six
Old 09-04-2013 | 05:53 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

As Hartech and others have noticed, the IMS issue may be overblown.... or not.
I blew two engines in my 2000 Boxster S, the first at 47K miles and the other at 150K miles later. Tell me that "odds are low". The first reason was unknown, the second was also unknown but definitely not the IMS as the new owner pulled it.

So, we do know there are multiple failure modes for these engines and, Porsche lost a very real class action suite and disclosed their IMS failure rates for 996/986 single rows are 4-10% and 997/double row are around 1%. Note this if for IMS and not inclusive of all failure modes.

Would I do it? I do know of folks who have literally over 200K miles and no failure. So, I ask you, if you had two of these non-direct oil fed engines fail would you do some extra work on the engine? Now for my answer... I wouldn't buy one. I purchased an '09 C2S and avoided them totally. Again, what you have done if you had my very real experience?

My point of all of this, and reading about it for literally 13 years, is that you don't know, there is no answer, and it comes down to emotions... yours.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-04-2013 | 07:42 PM
mikeguitarez
Advanced

I hear you Bruce. I got the settlement letter on IMS/RMS in the mail because my 04 was on the list - I ran that one to 80K miles but I definitely drove her hard, but not abusive. That's sux you had yours go twice! Happy to hear you got the 997.2 though!
Old 09-05-2013 | 04:59 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Now for my answer... I wouldn't buy one. I purchased an '09 C2S and avoided them totally. Again, what you have done if you had my very real experience?
to go with 997.2 is a good solution. I wanted to do that but adding all pro and contras decided to live with what I got, as if I decide to upgrade into GTS car it will cost me at least $50K cash, and I am not inclined to repeat same exact process of almost entire car rebuild I performed on this '06 C2.

it will be easier to rebuild the motor eventually, when it goes, IF it goes. at 65k miles I do not really expect IMS to dissipate, cylinder d-chunk or torn rod bolts would be probably more probable, but, who knows.
Old 09-05-2013 | 05:18 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
if you can do LN retrofit - find a best nearest shop and do it, it is not so expensive on those cars and gives you a peace of mind.
Why? Doesn't make any sense at all. He has insurance and Porsche warranty, why should he be doing that while it may VOID his warranty!? This is a really bad advice.

I think only after his warranty expires he should maybe look into this.
Old 09-05-2013 | 06:04 PM
mikeguitarez
Advanced

My warranty will be extendable prior to it expiring which is why I am not touching the car even though the thought of an engine going makes me cringe as this car is like a child to me.

alexb76, props for paying attention to the details - I have to do everything by the book for the next two years. I may end up upgrading to 997.2 or 991 if I don't feel good about the car when its time to renew my coverage but ... as many have said in this thread ... I am going to drive it and enjoy it.

Mike
Old 09-05-2013 | 08:25 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

My '05 (small bearing) had about 20K on it when I got it, and CPO. When that ran out I got a 6 year B2B warranty, which has thus far (2 1/2 years in, 3 1/2 to go) paid back more than half its cost, so even if (unlikely) it never needs another covered repair, I consider it very reasonable for insurance against catastrophic failure. At the time I went off CPO and on the B2B extended warranty, the clutch pedal was uncomfortably stiff, so I opted to have it replaced, and at the same time get the LN retrofit. When the warranty runs out I'll then make a decision as to what if anything to do further, if in fact I keep the car. It's easy to get focused narrowly on the IMS issue, but the fact is for a non-DIYer like me, keeping a 12 y.o. Porsche with 75K miles could be quite an expensive proposition even taking the IMS completely out of the equation. Meantime I shall not let what-ifs ruin my enjoyment. Suggest you consider doing likewise. Congrats!
Old 09-05-2013 | 09:49 PM
colombiano
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petrvspetrvs
beautiful car, congrats! i, too, have an 05 997.1, cab tho' ... later build & newer bearing i've been told. i wouldn't lose sleep over it, as it's overblown. sure, it happens, but you're CPO'd! do your oil changes, inspect the oil, listen to the car, keep the revs up. statistics show the cars that sit have much higher failure rate. if you need to worry about something, worry about getting hit by texting, star-bucking soccer moms in ginormous SUVs! Have a blast with it!
Exactly what he said !!!

I was in same boat with an 05 997.1 C2S and its true IMS is completely blown out of proportion imo , regular oil changes and an eye on my oil is what I will be doing for now.

Beautiful color combo! Enjoy
Old 09-05-2013 | 11:26 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=mikeguitarez;10734441]To IMS or not IMS.

Car is to be driven for road trips and errands with occasionally reving4-5 RPMs to ensure oil is getting everywhere in that engine.... not interested in driving her gentle.

Mike [QUOTE]

Most recommend revving in the 6-7k range only after engine is up to temp to better lubricate.

Quick Reply: To IMS or to not IMS