Sponsored by:

Thunderhill Track Video 9/1/13

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
short of full slicks, you need to lift for T8 if you are any where close to 100mph.

at around 100mph, there is NO run off at T8. you need every bit of concrete inc the widened berm to the right.

i am not sure who told you T8 is faster than you tihnk you can do. it's T9 that's a lot faster than what you think you can do. however, should you go off T9, it's ugly.
Context. Turn 8 is faster than you think when you are in the beginner/low intermediate group, don't really know what your car can do and go into it at 80 mph. I wouldn't know about 100 mph because I'm still not confident/good enough to approach 8 at that speed. Alas, I'll certainly take your more experienced word for for it (seriously, every bit of info helps). That part of the track just bothers me as I still have images of the Vette a few cars in front of me tumbling because he was too far to the right on 9.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 PM
M//DREI
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Context. Turn 8 is faster than you think when you are in the beginner/low intermediate group, don't really know what your car can do and go into it at 80 mph. I wouldn't know about 100 mph because I'm still not confident/good enough to approach 8 at that speed. Alas, I'll certainly take your more experienced word for for it (seriously, every bit of info helps). That part of the track just bothers me as I still have images of the Vette a few cars in front of me tumbling because he was too far to the right on 9.
Turn 9 is def a car killer, I had a off at turn 9 on a motorcycle and let me tell you, THAT was not fun. Turn 9, 11, and 15 are pretty difficult to get right, but when it happens, boy does that feel good!!
Old 09-20-2013, 01:18 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
For what it's worth: I have a Tubi exhaust (only the cans not the central muffler bypass). I was driving Laguna Seca in April on a 92 dB day and was black-flagged with 94.8 dB Short shifting at the sound station helped (no more black falgs for the rest of the day), but I doubt that this strategy will work on a 90 dB day ...
Laguna can certainly be challenging to make sound, especially with a 90 db day. Unfortunately, with all the rules down there imposed by the county, it' s just a fact of driving there. I like to think it's just some of what makes Laguna Laguna. I had my shop build be a set of "Laguna pipes" for my GT3, basically just 90 degree bends with a perforated cone welded inside to dissipate the sound. Should get me close to 90, but still may need to short shift and lift a but going through T5
Old 09-20-2013, 01:26 AM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M//DREI
Turn 9 is def a car killer, I had a off at turn 9 on a motorcycle and let me tell you, THAT was not fun. Turn 9, 11, and 15 are pretty difficult to get right, but when it happens, boy does that feel good!!
Glad you had a good weekend up there. Pretty nasty departure coming out of T8. How's the car doing? Get the radiator fixed?

I watched your video a few times. One thing to remember as you build speed, you really need to hit those apexes, especially high speed corners like T8. Every foot you miss the apex throws you 2-3 feet wide at the exit. At speed, I essentially drive right over the front of the T8 apex berm. Sets you up nice for the exit. And Mooty's right - at speed you need to lift, and maybe even a light brake tap to shift weight forward and get the nose down for turn in, then back on the gas to plant the car through the corner.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Great video, on that turn 8, I honestly think if you kept your foot down you would have made that corner (not that I've ever been to that track).

What's your car, tires, pads? Is it the one in the picture with GT3 Aero?
Old 09-20-2013, 01:45 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
One thing to remember as you build speed, you really need to hit those apexes, especially high speed corners like T8. Every foot you miss the apex throws you 2-3 feet wide at the exit. At speed, I essentially drive right over the front of the T8 apex berm. Sets you up nice for the exit. And Mooty's right - at speed you need to lift, and maybe even a light brake tap to shift weight forward and get the nose down for turn in, then back on the gas to plant the car through the corner.
+1... from what I can see, on that T8, you can just tap on the brakes slightly, and then just foot down and take it. We have a similar corner in a WA track, and basically I am coming down at around 130 MPH, brake and bring it down to 85 MPH, but then POWER all through the apex... that's how it hooks.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:59 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After watching both of your videos I see a fair amount of correction taking place at turn in, meaning you are turning in then realize your to early or you turn in and realize your to late both of these force you to un-settle the car in the corner, as stated before you have to get to the apex of each turn at speed or you run out of track. We all make these mistakes at the track I make more than my share for sure what i don't see in your video is you being comfortable with the car at a slip angle. I recommend A. learning the line until it is an unconscious act, B. take a turn like turn 2 and learn to throttle steer your car and find out how to create the rotation you want earlier in the turn. In a 911 it is critical to get the car turned in then get back on the gas to get the rear to stick this does not mean you have to be flat out learn to feed the throttle and how to use maintenance throttle.

Laguna will be fun and this is not Nascar so weather is not a worry and for sound yes most cars fail there I have to install a secondary external system and still have to lift (how much and when is part of the challenge)
Old 09-20-2013, 08:07 PM
M//DREI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tgsmith4845
Glad you had a good weekend up there. Pretty nasty departure coming out of T8. How's the car doing? Get the radiator fixed?

I watched your video a few times. One thing to remember as you build speed, you really need to hit those apexes, especially high speed corners like T8. Every foot you miss the apex throws you 2-3 feet wide at the exit. At speed, I essentially drive right over the front of the T8 apex berm. Sets you up nice for the exit. And Mooty's right - at speed you need to lift, and maybe even a light brake tap to shift weight forward and get the nose down for turn in, then back on the gas to plant the car through the corner.
Thanks Tim! The car is all fixed now, I had to replace a broken radiator, AC condenser, plastic trim, and repair two bend wheels. I ended up buying a set of track wheels so the car is all good to go for Laguna

I think I caught up in getting a faster lap time, that is the curse of having a lap timer in the car! lol, My next time out at T-Hill will be focusing on the lines and hitting the apex.

As far as Laguna, my car should be right on the limit, but I think short shifting T5 will do the trick. Do they typically change sound limit every year?
Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 PM
M//DREI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Great video, on that turn 8, I honestly think if you kept your foot down you would have made that corner (not that I've ever been to that track).

What's your car, tires, pads? Is it the one in the picture with GT3 Aero?
I kept on replaying it in my mind of how I should've have done to save it, maybe I should've kept on the gas and powered it out of the corner, I really have no idea. I am planning taking Skip Barber's Race School sometime next year, I'm sure I will get better instructions on how to save a slid. I had the PSM on at the time, but it didn't appear to do any good.

My car is a 3.6 Carrera, with a factory Areo wing and front splitter. Tires were MPSS, and pads were EBC Red Stuff.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:19 PM
M//DREI
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tahoelife
After watching both of your videos I see a fair amount of correction taking place at turn in, meaning you are turning in then realize your to early or you turn in and realize your to late both of these force you to un-settle the car in the corner, as stated before you have to get to the apex of each turn at speed or you run out of track. We all make these mistakes at the track I make more than my share for sure what i don't see in your video is you being comfortable with the car at a slip angle. I recommend A. learning the line until it is an unconscious act, B. take a turn like turn 2 and learn to throttle steer your car and find out how to create the rotation you want earlier in the turn. In a 911 it is critical to get the car turned in then get back on the gas to get the rear to stick this does not mean you have to be flat out learn to feed the throttle and how to use maintenance throttle.

Laguna will be fun and this is not Nascar so weather is not a worry and for sound yes most cars fail there I have to install a secondary external system and still have to lift (how much and when is part of the challenge)
Thanks for some great advice, can you elaborate on the "slip angle"? Does that mean controlling the car while its sliding? Due to my limited experience, I don't know how to cope with controlling slides, so much so I still have PCM for the track days.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:51 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M//DREI
Thanks Tim! The car is all fixed now, I had to replace a broken radiator, AC condenser, plastic trim, and repair two bend wheels. I ended up buying a set of track wheels so the car is all good to go for Laguna

I think I caught up in getting a faster lap time, that is the curse of having a lap timer in the car! lol, My next time out at T-Hill will be focusing on the lines and hitting the apex.

As far as Laguna, my car should be right on the limit, but I think short shifting T5 will do the trick. Do they typically change sound limit every year?
Your car should be OK at Laguna. Not too loud from what I remember. 90 db is a challenge, but the work to get there is worth it to drive the world famous Laguna Seca.

Have fun at Sears Pt. I'll be there at the end of the month. We're working to get PCA GGR back there next year. Fingers crossed!

Tim
Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 PM
tahoelife
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Slip angle is a term used to describe a degree of slip(slide) the tire is doing while at the limit of adhesion it is not "drifting". As far as driving with the traction control on it would still allow for a little slip. I agree that your first priority is to get the line down and let the speed come once the line is a subconscious process then you can learn to feel what the car is telling you. Get Ross Bentley's book ultimate speed secrets read it twice. That will give you a lot of amazing things to grasp so when you come to the track next you can approach the learning In Stages. Since you bought track wheels I recommend staying on a street tire for a little longer you will learn car control better at slower speeds

Quick Reply: Thunderhill Track Video 9/1/13