Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche all my life...my first Lambo experience.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 02:11 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wedding gift for my soon to be wife. She can tame this thing like you wouldn't believe, and its rather arousing to see her drive it and bully it, instead of vice versa
I would love it if my wife could or wanted to do the same, enjoy.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Great review, and gorgous car and fiancée!

Now, let me see if I got this right... you got one already, and wanna get one more for wife as wedding gift? So, two Lambos in the garage?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 PM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 87turbo911
I discovered that, while I could afford to BUY an older Ferrari, I couldn't afford maintaining it!
^ My thoughts exactly! First world problems I guess.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:31 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

I think op rented one for a trip to trynout necause he wanted to give it as a wedding gift to the girl. I hope i find a girl who would do that to me. A lambo as a gift that is
Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to love Lambo's, but I guess age changes things. I love my Porsche, but the 2 cars that tempt me are the Ford GT and the Audi R8.

The Ford GT to me gives you everything and I would bet if well kept and only driven 2-3K miles a year will only appreciate with time, I also think it looks much better than any Lambo.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:09 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, never driven a lambo.....sounds like fun, and pretty lady too Sir, thanx for the share
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Better hope the thread doesn't make its way onto Lamborghini or other supercar forums.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 PM
A.J. Merrifield
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by svb
Surprised my fiance this weekend and rented a 2013 Gallardo LP-570 4 Performante. She's full Italian from Milano and this is a "normal" car for her. However I was giddy excited, and it was a dream come true and my first experience with Lamborghini. To make this post legit, let me compare it to my recently acquired Boxster Spyder, and mention my 997, and as a loyal Porschephile convey my first impression with an Italian supercar. I know these cars are in different economic segments and its like comparing apples to oranges... but lets leave cost out of this:

Ride
Lambo is downright more comfortable and more compliant than the Porsche Spyder (no PASM), but on par with my 997. Hard to believe, but we were actually cushy in this thing, even in Sport and Corsa mode. Seats, ride, just perfect. Now the Spyder seems unduly stiff.

Sound
Lambo sound...shockingly intoxicating and loud, especially in Sport or Corsa mode. I prefer it to even a PSE Porsche. I don't know how it passes Euro sound regulations, unless the US spec version is different. There is just nothing like it. Even on a downshift, its just pure sex.

Handling
Porsche Spyder here. Porsche feels nimbler, more balanced, more dialed in, and would be much harder to throw into the weeds. The Lambo had me unnerved. I was completely wired the whole time. But I was very impressed with the steering, it had Porsche-like feel and accuracy. Lambo brake feel is superior with better initial bite, equal to my 997S.

Transmission
Porsche PDK is superior to whatever flappy paddle (?Audi DSG) system was in this car. It was clunky and you needed to lift throttle between shifts to avoid whiplash. Didn't like it and expected better.

Interior
Lambo is nice, with full Alcantra interior, but honestly I wasn't completely blown away. I think I prefer the Porsche believe it or not.

Exterior
The matte black finish and styling on this car is just gorgeous. The body work with, carbon bits drips of quality. The roof works amazing well. As cool as the Spyder looks, have to go Lambo here.

Panache
No contest here. The Lambo just stops traffic dead everywhere we took it. This was a negative for me. It attracts too much attention and cameras. People yelling, screaming, walking out in front of the car at a traffic light, etc. It just makes people act stupid. I kept thinking..."sheesh its just a Gallardo." But it still pulls a crowd like a Countach. We are private people and we wanted to hide in the footwells because we had the top down. My Spyder still gets looks, but its not annoying like it was with the Lambo.

The wacky conclusion

First I have to say, at the price point that the Porsche Spyder was built with, it is an impeccable and glorious achievement and a downright bargain for what it is. From an engineering, performance, and quality standpoint the cars were very close. You are just paying a heck of a lot more for that Italian style with the Lambo. Whether that is worth the extra cost comes down to a subjective decision.

That being said, we are actually in the market for one now. Wedding gift for my soon to be wife. She can tame this thing like you wouldn't believe, and its rather arousing to see her drive it and bully it, instead of vice versa. I was so completely smitten by the experience, and as old as the Gallardo platform is now, its amazing that it still feels so fresh. The whole Italiano thing has me intoxicated (hell I'm marrying one) And My fiance told me the "Performante" edition was the one to buy a long time ago when she drove it in Italy, and I have to agree. Downsides are cost and attention, but I'm willing to make concessions.

My Porsche Spyder may be on the cutting block soon. As much as I love it, it would be redundant, and I'm running out of garage space! Keeping the 997. It is quirky, has character, and just cannot be replaced.
Congrats, she's a beauty... and the car's not bad, either! Pre-congrats on the upcoming wedding, and the upcoming car purchase, too! We want pics of both!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting. I have not only enjoyed your comments, but also the comments of the other posters.

(the batman video is epic btw.... still cracking up. I want to do that.)

-B
Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Gruson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost got the Gallardo but being 6'3" tall, I just couldn't see out of it comfortably. It had a very limited field of view for me. The top half of my vision was the ceiling of the Lambo! I had to sit really squashed down to see out of it. It was not comfortable. Love the looks of it though.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up. Thanks for this.

Congratulations on your marriage.

Best wishes for at least 55 anniversaries.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm curious what the cost was for a weekend rental?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:32 PM
onefastman1
AutoX

While the Scuderia or 16M is one of my favorite road going cars if she is infatuated with Lamborghini then you will not likely change her mind. I would recommend you buy a car with factory warranty and extend it as long as possible. Also consider shying away from matte paint, it is difficult to maintain and in the event of damage is near impossible to match.

It is a fantastic car though, enjoy!
Old 09-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MessyMarvin
I used to love Lambo's, but I guess age changes things. I love my Porsche, but the 2 cars that tempt me are the Ford GT and the Audi R8.

The Ford GT to me gives you everything and I would bet if well kept and only driven 2-3K miles a year will only appreciate with time, I also think it looks much better than any Lambo.

Ford GT for me too. It's nice too how you can make it a 700hp vehicle for about 3k with a simple blower swap.

Interesting to see it retail for 150k -now going for 250k and i'll bet they go over 400k over the next 15 years...
Old 09-05-2013, 02:55 PM
mikeguitarez
Advanced

Awesome read! I was big into Lambo when I was in my 20's but lost interest in cars like that as its way too much power for me.

I looked into pre-owned Ferrari when I was looking into Porsche and found one's I could afford but the more I looked into Porsche the less interested I became with the Italian supercars. After owning my first Boxster and having a Panamera for 1.5 months - I am pretty certain I will be driving Porsches for forever.

I had a chance to rent a Super car and run it on a track when I was in Vegas last month and did not even bother to do so ... Will say I love my 997 S!

Mike

Quick Reply: Porsche all my life...my first Lambo experience.